Costumes for the 2013 Disney marathon weekend?

Hi all!

runDisney is the perfect place to run in costume :)

For my first big runDisney race (WDW Half Marathon in 2011) I just went with the 'regular' running outfit, but by Princess Half 2012, I realized just how fun it could me to add some magic to the miles by dressing as one of my favorite characters! For that race, I made a Mulan costume...

Awesome costume! I have no guesses for your W&D costume but I'm sure it will be great. :thumbsup2

Awesome costume! I have no guesses for your W&D costume but I'm sure it will be great. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the kind words!

I am excited to debut my new costume at W&D! I think the key thing about wearing running costumes is to make sure they are RUNNING costumes. Regular costumes, as others have mentioned, can become cumbersome. If you plan them right they're just the same as wearing 'regular' clothes - except more fun!

The other idea I had was dressing as Cinderella BEFORE her fairy godmother came to visit...or the fairy godmother herself. But that requires a cape and hood and that would be too much.
I went as Cinderella before the ball for Halloween when I was 6. :goodvibes Except it was just a raggedy brown dress and apron, so no one could understand what I was. At a Disney race I'm sure it would be more obvious.

Last year's Wine & Dine I had a tank with a custom slogan on it from One More Mile. They were great to work with. It was fun to get comments on it from other runners. This year, I'd really like to do more of a running costume, but I'm struggling with ideas and my lack of sewing ability.

For the full I am going as Minnie mouse. Sparkle skirts has a cute red and white polka dot skirt and I'll wear a black shirt. For the Princess Half I'm doing something Rapunzel-ish. So far I have a purple shirt and will probably get a purple Sparkle skirt. This year for Princess Half I did Cinderella with a light blue team sparkle skirt and a light blue shirt. I have visor with a tiara on it.

I went as Cinderella before the ball for Halloween when I was 6. :goodvibes Except it was just a raggedy brown dress and apron, so no one could understand what I was. At a Disney race I'm sure it would be more obvious.

Last year's Wine & Dine I had a tank with a custom slogan on it from One More Mile. They were great to work with. It was fun to get comments on it from other runners. This year, I'd really like to do more of a running costume, but I'm struggling with ideas and my lack of sewing ability.

Three words: hot. glue. gun.

I agree that a hot costume is not what you want after 5-10 miles of running. The Sparkle Skirts are my favorite to use for a costume....my DD and I have the pink Minnie tech skirt and wear that with a cute tank top with Minnie on it. I love looking at all the costumes on the race course, but many times, I think, wow...you are so brave to race in all that material!

A real simple idea is to wear basic black (top and shorts/capri or full pant) and then wear a pair of red shorts over the bottoms...don a pair of cheap white glove and a pair of ears and go as Mickey.

The same can be said for Minnie by replacing the shorts with a polka dot skirt if you can find or make one.

Its good to plan ahead...making sure you end up with something that you can put up with for 13.1 miles / 26.2 miles or 39.3. Something that doesn't restrict, can withstand the motion and doesn't add weight...3 mos left.

I am also going to check out Halloween costumes after Halloween when they are on clearance. Can get some good deals. Can use parts of a costume or get ideas too.

Team-Sparkle and Sparkle Skirts both make red polka dot running skirts. I am planning on getting the Sparkle skirt one for the marathon.

I'm just working up to my first 5K, maybe if I can keep up the training, the 1/2 will be in 2014. Do people dress up for the 5K?

I'm just working up to my first 5K, maybe if I can keep up the training, the 1/2 will be in 2014. Do people dress up for the 5K?

I'm pretty sure that they do! I thought I remembered seeing pictures of people from last year (3 Caballeros theme) dressed in ponchos. :)

I wore my new SparkleTech Minnie Mouse print with a black tank for the Tower of Terror and loved it.

th_tot_zpsa3d9678b.jpg

However, I did not wear a fuel belt which will be a must for me in the full. When I wear a fuel belt, I am most comfortable when I tuck my shirt in, so I am thinking of going with black shorts with zippered pockets (my usual) and this shirt caught my eye. I figure this is the perfect mantra for my first full.

"KEEP CALM and RUN ON"

I found this on Gone for a Run (along with lots of other things that are going on my Christmas list :goodvibes )

th_KeepCalmandRunOn_zps95d4d7f4.jpg

Well I did a local 5K fun run as the Black Widow with blonde hair because I could not find a wig. Wore black running tights, black half zip running top, black sports bra and my belt was a fuel belt. black of course. Not only were people able to accurately say what I was I also got a PR for the distance. Planning on having the Widow come out for the Marathon.

I did the 2010 and 2011 Princess 1/2's as Ariel. I just used regular running clothes. In '10 I glued a tiara to a visor and in '11 I wore a bow.

14119_849233427303_5718750_n.jpg
200722_10100133303325923_1940704_n.jpg

For 2013 I'm thinking of dressing as Merida and making my own running costume.

I'm thinking about running as Candace Flynn. All I need is a white running skirt and a red top. I have reddish-blond hair, so I'm all set there. :)

I'm thinking about running as Candace Flynn. All I need is a white running skirt and a red top. I have reddish-blond hair, so I'm all set there. :)
Cute idea!

I did Wine & Dine last weekend as Minnie. Black top, red skirt with white polka dots (clearance rack find) over black running capris. Topped with Minnie ears from the park. That headband was tight! But I made it.
I might wear the same thing for the full marathon, but I haven't decided yet.

Cute idea!

I did Wine & Dine last weekend as Minnie. Black top, red skirt with white polka dots (clearance rack find) over black running capris. Topped with Minnie ears from the park. That headband was tight! But I made it.
I might wear the same thing for the full marathon, but I haven't decided yet.

I'm doing Minnie too for the full. I got the head band too, the sequin one witht the red bow. I don't think I'm going to be able to run with it on. I have a red bondi band that I might see if I can sew on black circles for the ears. Someone else had said they wore the bondi band under the head band and it stayed in place. It's too tight for me right be hind my ears.

I'm doing Minnie too for the full. I got the head band too, the sequin one witht the red bow. I don't think I'm going to be able to run with it on. I have a red bondi band that I might see if I can sew on black circles for the ears. Someone else had said they wore the bondi band under the head band and it stayed in place. It's too tight for me right be hind my ears.
I'm thinking of getting one of the kids Minnie hats they sell in WDW. It's a baseball style hat with ears. It is adjustable and my head is apparently small enough to fit! If it's cold enough (and I'm walking more than running), I don't think it will be too sweaty.

I'm thinking of getting one of the kids Minnie hats they sell in WDW. It's a baseball style hat with ears. It is adjustable and my head is apparently small enough to fit! If it's cold enough (and I'm walking more than running), I don't think it will be too sweaty.

Oh duh! I didn't even think of that. DD has 2 of them. Time to dig through her closet.

I will be running as Tigger. I have an orange top and skirt that I need to sew (glue?) Tigger stripes on. I have knee socks to match. I am considering using one pair for arm warmers (I have to run in a wrist splint and feel like a total dork). I need to attach some sort of Tigger ears to my visor. I'm still on the fence about a tail. This is my first full so I don't want to have too much to drive me crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter