• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costume Sizes?

ladypage

<font color=royalblue>And that's how the story abo
I had a question about the costume sizes and fits. I'm on the large side of things, but not absolutely huge. My main problem is that I'm somewhat misrpoportioned! :rotfl: Will I have a lot of problems with a costume if I get accepted for the CP? :confused3 And my size fluctuates A LOT, will that be a huge problem too?

I don't imagine you will have problems finding your size because costuming has a very large size selection. They also will help you find the right size or customize something for you. Part of the Disney Look is having an approporiatly fitting costume so they will definitly work with you. With the check-out system they have you can return and exchage sizes any time you need to. I always checked my costumes out before my shift and dropped the same one off in the afternoon so I didn't have to do any costume laundry. You can do that or keep them and wash them yourself.

Generally, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Costuming will attempt to provide a wide variety of sizes for the wardrobe pieces issued to Operations Cast Members. However, if a situation arises that a Cast Member's body size lays outside of the normal range of available pieces, arrangements will usually be made to provide custom-fitted garments.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the way they're cut? As I'm sure everyone knows, clothing sizes fluctuate so much depending on what stores you shop in. Sometimes I'm an 8 and sometimes I'm a 12. I was just wondering if they were true-to-size, maybe cut a little bigger, or cut smaller? Stupid question I know! I can't wait to get it all sorted out when I get down there. I'm dorkily looking forward to whatever costume I get!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the way they're cut? As I'm sure everyone knows, clothing sizes fluctuate so much depending on what stores you shop in. Sometimes I'm an 8 and sometimes I'm a 12. I was just wondering if they were true-to-size, maybe cut a little bigger, or cut smaller? Stupid question I know! I can't wait to get it all sorted out when I get down there. I'm dorkily looking forward to whatever costume I get!

Disney sizes are weird! You have to go up two sizes to fit into Disney size. So, if you are an 8, then the size you would get is a 10. They tell you all this when they take you to get your costumes. When you get your costumes the first time, they make you try it on and then check to see if it fits. If it doesn't, they make you go get another size and try it on. They won't let you check out until the costume fits on you to their standards. So, you will have someone there the first time to help you with the sizes and cut. Of course, for me, I'm a size 2 in real life, so that means I have to get a size 4 in Disney, which is their smallest size. Unfortunately, since they have so many Chinese girls (who are all damn skinny) working there, all of the small sizes go really fast. Leaving me with only two costumes in both my programs (I was able to find more later, thankfully), lol! Just to warn you, the pants, shorts, or skirt have to be at bellybutton level. Which was always awkward for me cause I'm used to hipsters, haha!

Ugh, I hate going up sizes. haha. For some reason I actually assumed Disney would have them cut larger just because people working there are usually "adults." I typically shop in "junior" stores like Forever 21 and all that. haha. And about the level of the pants, say it ain't so! :lmao: I'm so used to hiphuggers! This will take awhile to get used to and make me feel like i'm 80 years old I'm sure.

Yep, it's true! The worst part is that most of the areas require the shirt to be tucked in which made it 10 times more awkward! I had never tucked my shirt in before! So, bellybutton level pants with tucked in shirt made me feel like an old person, lol!

OH goodness the tucking in of the shirts bothered me so much, thankfully doing quick service i had an apron so I never had to SEE that my shirt was tucked in:lmao:

Costuming is definitely a bonding experience with fellow Cast Members in your area.

I worked in Tomorrowland, and let me tell you the endless amounts of laughs we had with our costumes.

We lovingly refer to our pants as "front-butt pants" because that's what it looks likes :rotfl:

Don't be discouraged by Disney's randomness when it comes to sizing, thankfully there are multiple sizes and like others say-they have you try on as many as needed until you find your "size".

And keep in mind, it's always good to try on any costume piece before you need it ... You could have 4 pairs of pants, all marked 42x32 (I'm a guy, I know guys sizes), and each of them will fit differently.

I wore a size smaller in Disney...Maybe it was just my particular costume :confused3

Like someone else mentioned pants can fit differently even when they're the same size and I am wore a common size, so I would keep the same pairs of pants for weeks at a time and wash them myself so I'd have ones that fit well every time.

Somewhat random sidenote... Disney's cosutmes are all in "guys sizes" or at least my costume was. So my pants were 30x28 (or something like that... I dont remember lol). It definitly takes some time to figure that out. They give you like a formula in training. Go up two pants sizes and then add 20 or something like that. I found it amusing.

Remember guys - size is just a guideline, not a rule! It's the same way in the real world with real clothing. If you usually wear a size 6 pants and you were to try on a pair that only fit in size 8, that doesn't say anything about you - it means the people who made the clothes are weird :goodvibes

This is fun...

I regularly wear two different costume (The Pirates League and OL&D).

TPL is a skirt... I wear a 6

OL&D are pants... I wear a 12

Nothing like checking them out together when one is quite literaly TWICE the size of the other one. LOL

In real world clothes I'm a 6-8.

Costuming could wear 2 different types of pants. In one kind, I wore a 24, in the other kind, I wore a 20. I normally wear an 18.
Shirts seem to be pretty standard sizes xs-5x for most costumes.

The size thing just sounds so weird. I'm used to costumes from theatre stuff, but those we all get measured and matched up with sizes...more normal than what this sounds like, haha.

I have had every size from an 8 (Main Street Skirt) to a 18 (Safari shorts). The costumes all fluctuate, so just remember to try everything on. If they don't have your size, they will make customs for you, and that varies too. I was able to take things off the rack for most of my roles, but I had to have my entire Guest Relations costume made from scratch, as I'm tall (Woody range :rolleyes1). If you're concerned, just ask to see a costuming manager. If you need specialized costumes, you won't be the first, and you definitely won't be the last!

LOL - Plaid, I read your story and thought, hey, I know someone that had her GR costume custom made too.... Good to see you back!!!

oh yeah! Costuming was an experience :-) I remember looking at my Old Key West costume and wanting to cry inside...but you know what? Everyone you work with is wearing the EXACT same thing you are. Once you are with the rest of the cast members and work a couple days... you won't even notice. Everyone at Disney (well working cast members, that is...) will look just as silly as you think you look but it's all part of playing that role and creating that magic!!

Have fun with it and go into your costume fitting with an open mind :-) If you don't then it could start off your CP on a sour note and why do that when Disney will work with you !! :-)

Have fun!!

My room mate actually mentioned something about this the other day. I feel the same way,that I'll want to cry when I see it, plus having to wear it on all the way up to your belly button, no way jose. But, it's a small price to pay and you're right everyone else looks the exact same, I just hope they're not itchy or something :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter