• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costco's Perdue Chicken breasts, frozen

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Did the price go up per pound on the Perdue? I think it is now $2.60 lb. ($25 for the bag). I'm talking about the 10 lb bag of breasts. These just came back in stock after having Wayne Farms chicken for a little while. I'm hoping they are not rubbery....it seems like when they had them in stock last time when I would cook them, my family would complain. When I pound out the breast that seems to help.

I think I will still buy it because I like the convenience of having the breasts ready to take however many you need out of the bag and not having to trim any fat and filet them.

Last edited:
I stopped buying regular chicken breast years ago due to the rubbery factor. Many people don't notice or mind it though.

I have to buy organic chicken breasts to get the tender chicken I remember from years ago that use to be the case with non-organic chicken. There's just something wrong with regular chicken anymore. But again, you'll find people who don't mind it. I made some chicken breasts awhile ago that I thought were rubbery and chewy and I was telling my friend about them. I gave her some of what I cooked and she thought they were fine and just like what she makes herself. She just didn't mind that texture.

I would expect Costco to have a lower price than $2.60 a pound. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts go on sale here at the regular grocery store about every 4 weeks for $1.99 a pound. We stock up between sales.

I would expect Costco to have a lower price than $2.60 a pound. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts go on sale here at the regular grocery store about every 4 weeks for $1.99 a pound. We stock up between sales.

That's the same around here @tvguy. $1.99 a pound at the grocery store but then I would have to do all the work to prep them and wrap and put them in freezer bags. I will be giving the Perdue chicken another try from Costco but if they are rubbery still, I may just buy them at the grocery store and see if they are better quality.

We now Only buy our meat at Fresh Market. They run good sales on certain days of week.. Tuesday is Chicken (breast )
$2.99 a pound.. ( otherwise much more on non sale days. .. either 5.99 or more)
I generally buy all our meat on the appropriate sale days : sausage, chorizo, filet mignon, chopped sirloin/chuck, brats, and stock up a bit.

Quite Fortunate that we have a local farm ..that comes into our g/community each week with fresh veggies/fruit /eggs w/ Great prices compared to local stores!

I loved the Wayne Farms chicken. It seemed to be much better quality. I wish I could find it elsewhere.

I just bought chicken at Costco today.......buy it quite often.
We don't have Perdue.....it is Tyson here. 10 pounds was $19.99

I forget what the price was of the Perdue I bought last at Costco. The Kirkland brand that I bought was $2.79 per lb but for several times before that it was $2.99 per lb. I haven't had any taste issues with either for me personally. I love love love that it has 2 chicken breasts per pouch and I believe there are 10 pouches (ETA: oops I think there is actually just 6..I think lol IDK now). I get them and freeze them, then cut/tear as many pouches as needed at that time then thaw in the fridge overnight and I've never personally had freezer burn.

FWIW at my local Costcos the chicken in the packages are not frozen when you buy them.

I forget what the price was of the Perdue I bought last at Costco. The Kirkland brand that I bought was $2.79 per lb but for several times before that it was $2.99 per lb. I haven't had any taste issues with either for me personally. I love love love that it has 2 chicken breasts per pouch and I believe there are 10 pouches (ETA: oops I think there is actually just 6..I think lol IDK now). I get them and freeze them, then cut/tear as many pouches as needed at that time then thaw in the fridge overnight and I've never personally had freezer burn.

FWIW at my local Costcos the chicken in the packages are not frozen when you buy them.
Never bought the Kirkland chicken.

Being that the Kirkland chicken is about $2.80 lb I don't think I want to spend that much. Even $2.60 for Perdue is pushing it for me.

I just made chicken marsala tonight with the Wayne Farms chicken. Pounded it and it wasn't rubbery tasting. Will update this thread when I buy the Perdue, but just opened the 10lb bag of Wayne Hills.

I go to a butcher for all of my meat, what I noticed years ago is that the supermarket chicken was frozen and thawed so if I refroze it it was tasteless, the butcher carries both perdue and bell and evans, bell and evans is superior in my opinion and tastes great. I will skimp on a lot of things but food isn't one of them.

I go to a butcher for all of my meat, what I noticed years ago is that the supermarket chicken was frozen and thawed so if I refroze it it was tasteless, the butcher carries both perdue and bell and evans, bell and evans is superior in my opinion and tastes great. I will skimp on a lot of things but food isn't one of them.
Bell & Evans is organic so that could be why you are noticing the difference. That's one area (chicken) where I notice a HUGE quality difference between organic and regular.

Bell & Evans is organic so that could be why you are noticing the difference. That's one area (chicken) where I notice a HUGE quality difference between organic and regular.

Bell and Evans also has an organic and a non-organic line of chicken.

I've purchased all 3: Perdue, Kirkland and Wayne and by far Wayne has my vote. They had it at my Costco for about 6 months I think, and just recently switched back to Perdue. Disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter