Costco Membership, budget or not?

I live in Canada (waves from Surrey BC!) and we've had a membership for years. We actually share our membership with my mom (so we only pay $25 each a year for membership) - I buy cereal (when it's a good deal), chicken, produce, pork, cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, toilet paper, eggs, bread, kids clothes and assorted pantry items there. My mom loves their beef so she buys a lot of her meat from there as well as some pantry staples. Location closest to us just got a gas station (not all of them have them) and they are always the cheapest in the neighbourhood.

We don't shop a massive amount at Costco (and never have) so for years I said a membership wasn't worth it. last year we got a Living Social Deal so membership was $30 plus a bunch of coupons. So we said, why not?

We still didn't buy a whole lot through the year but overall enjoyed Costco - there were always a few things we absolutely loved that we would only buy at Costco. (e.g. my kids love their mozzarella cheese and it's reasonable there - more expensive elsewhere). I also started buying a few things for their warranty (a tent, a hydration pack, etc). We let our membership lapse this year, saying we would use the Costco gift cards we bought and just wait for another deal like the Living Social one.

Well, a month went by and frankly, being without a Costco membership upset me. I didn't feel like I could buy stuff and be covered by their warranty. I felt more stressed every time I went in and felt like I *had* to pick stuff up - whether or not it was really a good deal since I wasn't going as frequently. The last straw was when I needed glasses a couple of weeks ago. Walmart quoted me $400. Costco said $200. I told DH to pay up the $55 so I could save the $200 on my glasses. For some reason, having my Costco card again makes me happy (weird since I am one of those frugal, practical people).

I'm on the hunt for a new carry-on luggage and have decided I will only buy from Costco (The handle on my beloved Heys is now loose - after just 3 years). Just waiting for them to get in something that I like :)

By the way, as far as I know - I should be able to use the Costco travel agency - even though I have a Cdn membership.

Just last week DH and I had our bi-annual “Do we really save money by shopping at Costco? Should we renew?” conversation. The answers, for our family of four, are definitively yes and yes. As PP mentioned, the drugs alone! Kirkland ‘Prevacid’ and kids pain reliever. And now DH just has to say “Flonase” and I’m running to renew the membership! (You had me at Flonase.) Having to occasionally buy bread or peanut butter at our regular grocery store due to time constraints makes me cringe. Yes, we love Costco! Funny, our renewal arrived yesterday. We are Executive members so we earn the rewards. The rewards certificate was more than the upgrade to Executive, but did not cover the full renewal cost. I still see us coming out ahead when I do the math. Though a word of caution: we just tried the BBQ sandwich at the food counter. Ummmm, no thank you Costco.

Passport photos, toner refills, super cheap car rentals. These are a few of my favorite things.

Potentially dumb question: I was reading the back of the rewards certificate for how they calculate it. Costco Travel purchases are not included, which made me sad. It also said that Costco Cash Cards do not count toward your reward. I just ordered one online so I could pay with my airline rewards card to get the miles. So I know that I’m not getting $100 towards my reward by buying the card, but when I swipe the Cash Card when I buy stuff, will that count towards my reward?

I live within walking distance of a Costco now, and I am an Executive member. I usually earn my renewal costs or very close to it each year. I buy all my gas there, which saves a lot over a year. I get my eyeglasses there and they are much cheaper than anywhere else (and they have a nice selection of frames). I cannot believe how much cheaper prescriptions are there - would never want to go anywhere else. I made some photobooks for my grandkids after our last Disney trip and saved money on those compared to the camera store ones.

I used to pay close to $100 for a large bag of grain-free dog food for my dogs. Now I pay $36 a bag for the Kirkland grain-free brand and $26 when they have coupons. The dogs do just as well on this one as on the more expensive type I used to get - and I save more than $60 a month. I also love their laundry detergent which seems to last forever.

I'm vegan, so there are lots of products I don't buy, but they have good prices on many things I do: produce (excellent quality!), olive oil, hummus, vegan burgers (Gardein), etc. I also like the book section - some good deals there.

I've been a Costco member for years, but it's been the last couple of years that I've made it a part of my Saturday routine. I get there as soon as they open to avoid the crowds and I'm in and out in 30 minutes or less. I created a spreadsheet listing all the things I usually buy so I just have to check a box next to the things I need that week. I typically buy most of my produce (it's much better quality than in my local grocery store), meat (chicken breast tenderloins and pork chops), bread (2 loaves of Dave's Killer Bread for $6.99 versus $5.99 a loaf at my local grocery story), eggs, vitamins, OTC meds like cough syrup and pain reliever, detergent, paper goods, ink cartridges, etc. I also look there first for things like TV's, luggage, Keurig coffeemakers. They provide excellent customer service if you have to return something. I use Costco travel when I need to rent a car. I even used them when I purchased my car 15 years ago, it was a painless process and I felt like I got a good deal without going through the hassle of trying to bargain with the salesman for a better deal. I just completed my first year as an Executive member and received an email notifying me that my annual reward will be just under $99. This more than pays for the $55 cost of upgrading to Executive and almost covers my entire membership cost. I was also able to use my Executive membership to get my employer a better discount on our water delivery service. I don't automatically assume that everything at Costco is a good price, but I'm willing to pay a slight premium for higher quality food. I feel like my membership is worth every bit what I pay for it.

Though a word of caution: we just tried the BBQ sandwich at the food counter. Ummmm, no thank you Costco.

Potentially dumb question: I was reading the back of the rewards certificate for how they calculate it. Costco Travel purchases are not included, which made me sad. It also said that Costco Cash Cards do not count toward your reward. I just ordered one online so I could pay with my airline rewards card to get the miles. So I know that I’m not getting $100 towards my reward by buying the card, but when I swipe the Cash Card when I buy stuff, will that count towards my reward?

I also do not care for the BBQ sandwich. Like the smoothy though!

You should be able to get the reward on the cash card, because at Costco it is same as cash. I think they just make sure you don't get a double reward.

I got my Costco membership for my job a few years ago and we found that as a family we love Costco. We don't buy a huge amount of items there but enough that the membership is worth it. We buy bathroom tissue and paper towels only there, we love Kirkland brand. We also buy some produce, eggs, canned tomatoes, Nutella (soooo much cheaper there) and a few other items there.

The big saver for us is gas, it isn't always a HUGE deal, but at times it can be almost .20 a gallon cheaper. We lucked out during a huge price hike and got gas for .39 cheaper per gallon than the place across the street.

Another Costco lover here! I agree with all the other reviews, and I especially love their return policy. You can return ANYTHING! I tried the Kirkland brand of something - I think it was laundry detergent? Didn't like it - returned it no problem. Usually they have beautiful, long-lasting flowers. DH has given me many bouquets from there over the years. So, he bought an arrangement for Mother's Day on Friday - it was GORGEOUS! The problem is the roses died by Sunday. :-( Guess what? They took them back and gave a full refund!

Overall, I give the Kirkland brand an A! We buy the paper towels, BATTERIES (we go through lots thanks to Wii remotes), dryer sheets, dish detergent, trail mix, etc.

There are things I don't buy there - such as cereal - because with Publix's BOGO free deals + coupons, I can get it cheaper.

When the kids were smaller, we'd make a family night of going to Costco - we called it our "Costco Party!" Shopping, sampling, cheap delicious pizza - it was lots of fun!

I think we spend more money when we go. We normally go every two months. Lately hubby has been running in every two weeks for two or three items (hard to do). Loved their stuffed salmon. You really need to know your prices. We have a few items that we always get in Coscto. Aluminum Foil, Saran Wrap, Olive Oil, kitchen garbage bags - items that you are set for a while. Besides this, we love their meats, produce, bakery and fish. Great gift items too during the holidays!! It's great for families and if you can share your membership - even better. I did this for a few years until my friend passed. Now hubby and I have the card.

I have a price book where I compare the items I buy at cost per ounce at various stores. The items that are by far cheaper at costco, all organic unless I say otherwise: brown rice, quinoa, chicken, ground beef, frozen berries, frozen corn, frozen peas, orange juice (conventional), honey, bullion, olive oil, canned tomato sauce, canned tomato paste. The milk and cheese is cheaper than regular price at other store, but they beat costco with good sales, same with eggs. Dog food and kitty litter is way cheaper at costco. A lot of household stuff, like trashbags and LED lightbulbs, are also way cheaper per unit than other sources.

We have the executive membership and to costco credit card. I take the amount of the membership out of these rewards every year, and then anything else is bonus. With these rewards our membership is basically free, and then we are saving a lot.

I love Costco! You can't beat their rotisserie chicken which feeds a family of 5 for $5. Some things will be cheaper at the supermarket when on sale. They sell gift cards and have one for Wolfgang Pucks. You get 2 $50 cards for $79.99 and they are good for Orlando so if you like those restaurants this is a good deal.

A few notes:

I read somewhere I the last week that Costco is no longer refunding difference for executive membership. I was considering buying it for the special deal my wife's employer was offering, figuring it couldn't hurt with the make up the difference part, but they recently changed it.

We have received Costco cards as gifts and use them to get in since we have not joined yet (waiting on visa). The only issue we have run into is unknowledgable employees. They need a manager to authorize it, so we just ask for one to come over.

I just think Costco has great quality products. They're not the least expensive, but I'm rarely unhappy with anything I get there. I shop there about once a month.

My family also loves Costco for all of the many reasons already mentioned. We usually go at least every other week and sometimes weekly. Among other things listed already, we purchase clothing for the family on occasion. My husband loves the Union Bay cargo shorts and they have them for a great price, plus they had a coupon just this past week and they were even cheaper. We also love the samples on our visits and our oldest grandson even asks to go just so he can try the samples. :) We have been members for about 5 years or so and have been very happy.

My problem is I spend too much at Costco. I might go in for one thing and come out with 5. We live close so we go often. If you are disciplined thought I am sure it will save you money.

Some cost saving examples. (obviously this is regional but will give you an idea)
Toilet Paper 15.99 at Target for 600+sq ft vs Costco 15.99 for 1000+sq ft (same brand)
Batteries are 12.99 for 48 AA Kirkland or 14.99 Duracel AA 36 count vs Target 13.79 for 20
Havarti cheese 4.79lb vs Grocery 6.99 lb
Downy and Tide are cheaper there too but the Kirkland brand is comparable with even more substantial savings.

We like the quality on Kirkland so buy that over name brand often. If there is a choice of buying something at one store vs another on bigger products, we go with Costco for the return policy alone. Not that we have used it much but like the comfort of knowing it is there.

I moved very close to a Costco five years ago and bought a membership which I share with my Mom. I stop about twice a month, usually on Saturdays. Its always very busy so I make sure to go when I have a lot of time to kill. I enjoy just looking at all the stuff they are selling and trying out the samples. Some of their products that I first tried as a sample are now staples in our house (panko crusted chicken, wild salmon, healthy choice fudge bars, pork tenderloins, spinach artichoke dip, skinny pop popcorn). I also buy all my vitamins at Costco as well as contact lenses. I also buy prepackaged snacks for kids lunches. My Mom gets her printer ink and has pictures printed from her digital camera. I buy Speedo swimsuits for the girls and just last week bought a summer shirt for myself. Last winter, I bought Ugg type boots for the three of us. Both my Mom and I buy all of our staples at Costco - sugar, eggs, milk, butter, crackers, bagels, whipped cream (don't judge). I also get gas at Costco almost every week. However, I also stop at my neighborhood full service supermarket every week as well as I find there are some items I can't get at Costco, or at least don't want to buy such a huge amount.

One last thing. I had surgery 4 years ago and my doctor said I had to walk after surgery. We were having a cold, snowy winter so walking outside wasn't feasible. I had someone take me to Costco every day for a week just to walk the aisles! I pushed an empty cart which gave me extra support and stability. I love Costco!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter