Costco food court will require showing a membership card now

Because people can be very cheap. I don’t like Costco. I don’t like dealing with the parking lot. The people in there seem to be in a trance. Stampedes to get a little bite of free food. It’s crazy.
Eh. When I was younger and we had a Sam's Club membership people were the same as they are at Costco. I do think Costco is generally preferred over Sam's Club.

My dad used to take my sister and I to Sam's Club and then Costco when that came around and he switched to that, for our dinners with just the samples (shopping too but yeah)...

I haven't seen stampedes though just general "can't seem to navigate with my cart" issues that I see at pretty much everywhere else too.

Ohio has is a card no show also. Or if it is. It’s not enforced. I am not a member. But get gas there. It’s top tier and the Premium is a bit cheaper than other places.

Eh. When I was younger and we had a Sam's Club membership people were the same as they are at Costco. I do think Costco is generally preferred over Sam's Club.

I haven't had an active Sam's Club membership in a while. I remember we got it because there was exactly one item my wife wanted, and then we figured we'd go back as often as we could. Later on when we renewed (once) they had a $20 gift card back so that made it a little easier. I didn't really go a lot because it was out of the way, but once I started working a short term job, one was pretty close to where I lived. And the hot dogs were Nathan's 1/4 lb with Coke products at the fountain. Not sure if that's still the case or just something that varied by location, but I've always been a fan of Nathan's.

And I never found Sam's Club location that ever terribly crowded. However, sometimes that meant only one or two open registers.

I haven't had an active Sam's Club membership in a while. I remember we got it because there was exactly one item my wife wanted, and then we figured we'd go back as often as we could. Later on when we renewed (once) they had a $20 gift card back so that made it a little easier. I didn't really go a lot because it was out of the way, but once I started working a short term job, one was pretty close to where I lived. And the hot dogs were Nathan's 1/4 lb with Coke products at the fountain. Not sure if that's still the case or just something that varied by location, but I've always been a fan of Nathan's.

And I never found Sam's Club location that ever terribly crowded. However, sometimes that meant only one or two open registers.
Going by the parking lots, as I don't have a current Sam's Club membership, they are busy here maybe a tad less than Costco but people still go to them. My comment was more framed that I don't think the type of people who go to Costco are any different than the type of people that go to Sam's.

The origins weren’t as a public membership club where anyone could buy a membership. It was as a wholesale club where one needed to produce a business license to get a membership. There were a few other categories that might get one in.

Yep. I worked for Costco way back when they had less than 5 stores. The two categories of membership used to be business and then a regular membership where you paid a % surcharge above the listed business membership prices. You had to have some sort of "in" like a credit union account or working for large employers to qualify for membership. The business category members had longer hours so a lot of them shopped early in the day before the regular membership cards could enter the store. There were also the Price/Costco years where they were merged with another similar business called Price Club.

Yep. I worked for Costco way back when they had less than 5 stores. The two categories of membership used to be business and then a regular membership where you paid a % surcharge above the listed business membership prices. You had to have some sort of "in" like a credit union account or working for large employers to qualify for membership. The business category members had longer hours so a lot of them shopped early in the day before the regular membership cards could enter the store. There were also the Price/Costco years where they were merged with another similar business called Price Club.

Oh yes I remember Price Club.

My aunt had a Costco membership because she owned a small apartment complex and was required to have a business license. Costco didn't really have much that would be useful in running an apartment, but they didn't seem to care. She then got my mom an additional membership card.

The closest Costco to me is 30 minutes away. Ive always been curious about it, but have a BJs Wholesale Club membership. Is there a huge difference?

https://www.kcra.com/article/costco...ating-in-the-food-court-are-members/31046140#
Before, it was possible for people who might be sneaking in to go to the food court and buy something since they never checked for membership. I even went in a few times with an expired membership card just to get a hot dog. Some locations have the food court outside.

Not sure if they’ll check for an active membership or if they just want someone to flash a card. And there are people who bring friends/family along, so they won’t be able to split up where the guest or a child gets something at the food court.

I wonder how they’ll treat the Costco Cash card. I’ve been able to enter with one and buy items with one. As long as there was some value on it, I could make a purchase where I paid the remainder with cash/credit/debit.
Hmm...I have only eaten there once, The only I see a problem with would be the one off Cal expo, it is located outside. I haven't been there in a long time.

Hmm...I have only eaten there once, The only I see a problem with would be the one off Cal expo, it is located outside. I haven't been there in a long time.
Been there. When I mentioned it was 100 deg F outside and I'd rather be indoors with A/C, that was it.

Someone upthread mentioned some people have a problem with letting non members eat at the food court because they are not paying the membership fee, I agree.

The closest Costco to me is 30 minutes away. Ive always been curious about it, but have a BJs Wholesale Club membership. Is there a huge difference?

I have a Sam's, Costco, and BJs all in my area. In fact the Costco and Sams are so close you can walk from one to the other if you wanted. Before Costco came, we had a BJs membership. When Costco came we held two memberships for awhile. Overall, I guess I'd have to give the edge to Costco. I don't know why, can't explain it. The Costco is FAR busier than the BJs so that should tell you something. Last year, I got one of the 3-month free memberships that BJs was offering. It was fine. I think I just overall prefer the brands, selection, layout, lighting of Costco. But all those factors probably vary based on where you live.

Someone upthread mentioned some people have a problem with letting non members eat at the food court because they are not paying the membership fee, I agree.

Is the food free? Honest question, Ive never been. I would understand if the food was free and only for paying members, but if everyone is paying for the food, I dont see what the issue would be.

When I stay at the Poly, I get aggravated with the pool hoppers when I cant find a chair to sit on by the pool, but I dont care who is eating at the restaurants! We are all paying the same.

Is the food free? Honest question, Ive never been. I would understand if the food was free and only for paying members, but if everyone is paying for the food, I dont see what the issue would be.

When I stay at the Poly, I get aggravated with the pool hoppers when I cant find a chair to sit on by the pool, but I dont care who is eating at the restaurants! We are all paying the same.

I don't think it's pool hoppers much anymore just people playing the "towel game". When I stayed at Fiji, it was funny watching resort guests lay towels on the chairs they anticipate using before leaving for the parks. At least half never returned until late in the day. The locking gates really seem to make a difference in pool hopping.

It never occurred to me prior to being a Costco member to go eat there as it was a membership-based company that I didn't have a membership for, doesn't bother me though it's on Costco what they want to have as their policies and what they enforce.

No.

Sam's, BJ's, and Costco are extremely similar.

There will be items one carries that the other does not.

Supposedly it’s heavily subsidized. Possibly even a loss leader. Costco’s business model is built around selling annual memberships. Supposedly that’s how they can afford all those cheap items such as the food court and gas prices cheaper than almost anyone else.

I don’t think you can buy a large hotdog and soda with unlimited refills for $1.50 anywhere else, plus you can walk around after and nibble on the free samples that are being given out by the vendors. So it’s almost free food.

Also, like others have said the price of the food is subsidized by the members who pay to shop there.

Does anyone know why Costco did away with the early opening for business and executive members?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter