Costco as travel agent

We transferred our reservation to Costco to get the gift card for a cruise in a few weeks. The only downside is if you need to make any requests regarding your cruise (dining rotation, pre-paid gratuities, etc.) you are supposed to call Costco to have them contact Disney for you. To me this was a non-issue and we get a very nice gift card a few weeks after the cruise.

We just got back from our cruise, and the Costco Cash Card was in my mailbox a day later!

No worries. I've been thinking about trying to transfer my ressie to Costco after the 30 days, but didn't want to risk losing my 10% and OBC. When I booked onboard in October, the person said I could transfer anytime, but then the policy changed (practically unannounced unless you frequent these boards). So, I may try anyway.

We made a future reservation for 12/2013 onboard in 2/2012 without an agent listed. We booked a DCL Alaska cruise through Costco (since we became members) for our 8/2012 Alaska cruised and enjoyed using Costco.

Have you tried to see if the 30 days is firm even for reservations made prior to this new change? I was really hoping of transfering to Costco due to the additional gift card after sailing.

Thanks!

We made a future reservation for 12/2013 onboard in 2/2012 without an agent listed. We booked a DCL Alaska cruise through Costco (since we became members) for our 8/2012 Alaska cruised and enjoyed using Costco.

Have you tried to see if the 30 days is firm even for reservations made prior to this new change? I was really hoping of transfering to Costco due to the additional gift card after sailing.

Thanks!

The 30 days is firm and previous reservations were not grandfathered in.

I love the threads you find when you don't know you are looking for them!! :)

I understand about transferring the booking to a travel agent within 30 days. Has anyone had any challenges switching the cruise date once the reservation is with Costco? We are cruising soon, and will be booking a dummy date. I want to make sure we don't loose our OBB benefits. Thanks!!!!

I understand about transferring the booking to a travel agent within 30 days. Has anyone had any challenges switching the cruise date once the reservation is with Costco? We are cruising soon, and will be booking a dummy date. I want to make sure we don't loose our OBB benefits. Thanks!!!!

Bump! Great question- I'm curious too!

Bump! Great question- I'm curious too!

Hi there!

No, I had absolutely no trouble switching with Costco after I had already confirmed everything. We had originally booked Alaska for 2014 with DCL directly, switched to Costco (30 day rule applied of course) and then several weeks later we then moved it up from 2014 to 2013 and I had no issues. Costco will have to call DCL directly for pretty much everything so just be patient but I've never had issues. :goodvibes

Hope this helps,
Heather

Wow, I wish I had seen this thread sooner! I booked my December cruise for this year when On my first cruise last December. I also, was under the impression that I could make changes up until I paid in full. Now, I am feeling "buyer's remorse". I buy everything at Costco!!! Why didn't I think of paying for my cruise through them as well??? Oh well.......Can I save 5% on my balance by purchasing gift cards at Target and using them to pay my balance with Disney online?

I'm soon doing a cruise that I got directly from Costco. I plan on booking on board. Should I give the DCL folks certain Costco info when I make my on-board booking, and what info is needed - is there a travel agency number? Is there any difference in benefits between booking on-board and designating Costco at that time, or switching to Costco as soon as I get home (before 30 days)?
Sorry to need such specific help, but after reading loads of threads, I still can't figure it out. The price of the next cruise we want is rising precipitously each week, so I'm planning on trying to make the reservation on departure day.

I'm soon doing a cruise that I got directly from Costco. I plan on booking on board. Should I give the DCL folks certain Costco info when I make my on-board booking, and what info is needed - is there a travel agency number? Is there any difference in benefits between booking on-board and designating Costco at that time, or switching to Costco as soon as I get home (before 30 days)?
Sorry to need such specific help, but after reading loads of threads, I still can't figure it out. The price of the next cruise we want is rising precipitously each week, so I'm planning on trying to make the reservation on departure day.

Call Costco Travel and they will give you the needed info. It may already be pre-populated if you are booking while on a crusie booked through Costco, but its better to be prepared. -- Suzanne

MissyP - Thanks for starting this thread. I stumbled across it and DH is a happy camper!

Here is the info they'll need at the Future Cruise desk:

Costco Travel (no specific name req.)
(425) 657-1900
1605 NW Sammamish Rd, Ste 210
Issaquah, WA 98027

I spoke with a Costco Travel rep at length a few months ago, and he told me there is no difference in benefits between designating Costco Travel when you book onboard vs. transferring to them after. The process is a bit more streamlined, though, if you designate them from the outset. You will just need to call them when you return home and they will verify that they have the booking in their system and send you a confirmation e-mail. There will be an attachment to the e-mail with all the details of your reservation, including DCL and Costco reservation numbers and Costco's policies.

One other thing: I had booked a June 2014 Med cruise via DCL's web site on opening day (in Feb of this year). I was prepared to cancel that reservation when I booked onboard in March, assuming the price hadn't gone up so much that it was more cost effective to go with the original booking. I took the DCL e-mail confirmation with me to the Future Cruise Desk, and I was pleasantly surprised when the CM told me that she could apply the OBB benefits to my existing reservation. The price of our cruise had gone up several hundred dollars, so I was very happy. Plus, we were able to keep the same room. The only downside is that I had paid a 20% deposit when I booked via DCL's web site, and they did not refund half of that deposit. That was fine with me, though, since we will pay less for the cruise than if we had canceled the original reservation and rebooked.

Okay, I lied -- one more thing. If you book through Coscto, make sure you inquire about travel insurance. They offer policies through TravelGuard at reasonable prices, and you can get a pre-existing conditions waiver as long as you purchase within 24 hours of paying off your balance.

I'll be calling Costco tomorrow!

Woohoo! Just got off the phone and I have a $595 GC coming my way after the cruise.

I just booked a cruise with Costco as well and noticed in their documentation afterward that they charge a $25 fee for changes to the reservation after the initial booking.

I've seen in another thread someone getting hit with a hefty fee for making changes and in other threads people making changes without a fee being charged.

Is it just inconsistent or is there some rhyme or reason to this madness? :thumbsup2

I just booked a cruise with Costco as well and noticed in their documentation afterward that they charge a $25 fee for changes to the reservation after the initial booking.

I've seen in another thread someone getting hit with a hefty fee for making changes and in other threads people making changes without a fee being charged.

Is it just inconsistent or is there some rhyme or reason to this madness? :thumbsup2

What I was told by Costco about the fee - if you downgrade and your new amount is lower then they will charge you the fee. However if you keep the same amount or increase in price, they will not charge. Not sure if this has been true for others but this did apply in our case and what she advised me. The amount of our Costco cash card far exceeded $25 so I would have paid it just fine but happy that it didn't matter in our case :)

Heather

Not sure if the other posts you mention all are referring to Costco or not, but each TA sets their own rules regarding charges to reservation changes. Some do not charge for changes and others do. It's wise to know the TA's rules before you book thru them.

Not sure if the other posts you mention all are referring to Costco or not, but each TA sets their own rules regarding charges to reservation changes. Some do not charge for changes and others do. It's wise to know the TA's rules before you book thru them.

Here's one of the posts I was referring to http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=29292736&postcount=10

Oh, and I would never book with them again now that you can't transfer. I have easily spent 8 hours on the phone in hold time ect for all the things to change or add. Plus Costco charges $25 per change to a room, so when I moved my brother from our room to my older brothers & My nephew to ours it was $100.00!!! $25.00 to move my bother out of mine, $25.00 to move my brother into the other room, $25.00 to move my nephew out of his, & $25.00 to move him into ours. I would never have done it, but this was the only way to have a castaway member in each cabin.

Seems to be at the discretion of the TA you talk to on the phone, hopefully they're having a good day and process your change pro bono :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter