Costco as travel agent

Gift card prices are based on total spent. Typically the $500 ones are verandah 7n... They are indeed better than DU/SM and agree that it's better than OBC.

Can someone mention is it a Costco gift card or an Amex GC? Also, if you list the amount of GC you got, please mention either the total cruise fare, or the itinerary/category/dates

Gift card prices are based on total spent. Typically the $500 ones are verandah 7n... They are indeed better than DU/SM and agree that it's better than OBC.

Can someone mention is it a Costco gift card or an Amex GC? Also, if you list the amount of GC you got, please mention either the total cruise fare, or the itinerary/category/dates

Mine was a Costco gift card.

I transferred my Disney Fantasy ressie about 4 months before sail date to Costco by filling out the transfer form, which you can download from DCL website, and faxing it to the Costco Travel Cruise number. I was contacted by Costco to confirm the reservation and payment dates. It was easy and painless. I received cash card of $235 for Category 7A obstructed balcony and my cruise fare was $2898 before taxes for 2 people. I also bought cruise insurance from Travel Guard with Costco rate of $150. Finally, I did 2 one-way car rentals (MCO to port and port to MCO) through Costco for less than what Disney charges for transfers for 2 people. We stopped by Disney World both pre- and post-cruise.

We have two cruises booked through Costco right now, although we will be cancelling one of them. Here are the cruise fares and the cash card amounts. The amounts are substantially more than we would have gotten through a traditional TA.

Itinerary: 9-night Med, June 2014
Total cruise fare: $7,103.70
Costco cash card: $615.00
(OBC offered by DU and SW: $350)

Itinerary: 7-night Eastern Caribbean, April 2014
Total cruise fare: $4,991.00
Costco cash card: $425.00
(OBC offered by DU and SW: $200; if total had been $5000, OBC would have been $250)

The cash cards seem to be about 8.5-9% of the cruise fare (so not including taxes and port fees). This works out especially well if you are just below the next tier for a traditional OBC, as we are with the 7-night Eastern.

I spoke at length with a Costco Travel rep a month or so ago, and he told me that you get a cash card in the same amount for a transferred booking as you would for one booked directly through Costco. Keep in mind, though, that DCL now requires that you transfer a reservation within 30 days of booking.

Just curious... and I know this can vary, but how big of a gift card are we talking? We are costco members and have a cruise booked for spring break next year. I'm wondering if it's worth it to transfer the booking.

Is there any cutoff time? Could I wait until right before final payment so I could make any changes myself up until then?

Thanks!

You have to assign the reservation to a TA within 30 days of booking the reservation. Out of curiosity, I went to the Costco travel site and did a dummy booking for our Alaska sailing next May, and the gift card would have been over $500.00. That is substantial.

I transferred my Disney Fantasy ressie about 4 months before sail date to Costco by filling out the transfer form, which you can download from DCL website, and faxing it to the Costco Travel Cruise number. I was contacted by Costco to confirm the reservation and payment dates. It was easy and painless. I received cash card of $235 for Category 7A obstructed balcony and my cruise fare was $2898 before taxes for 2 people. I also bought cruise insurance from Travel Guard with Costco rate of $150. Finally, I did 2 one-way car rentals (MCO to port and port to MCO) through Costco for less than what Disney charges for transfers for 2 people. We stopped by Disney World both pre- and post-cruise.

Curious, was this before DCL implemented the rule that you had to assign a TA within 30 days of booking?

You can transfer any ressie for 30 days after booking with DCL, prior to final payment to any TA.

If you book onboard and name a TA on board you will get DCL 10% discount and OBC and the TA benefits.

If you do not name a TA onboard you will likely get reduced benefits from the TA for the transfer that must occur within 30 days.

Costco seems to offer full benefit amount for transfers made at anytime, even if not named onboard. :thumbsup2

Most other TA's reduce their $ benefit if transferred and not named onboard.

So to get full benefit from DCL and Costco book onboard, name them then or transfer within 30 days.
To get full benefit from other TA's book onboard and name the TA.

So book on board and get 10% off and OBC from DCL, name a TA and get their OBC/ cash card too.

We love Costco. ;)

Curious, was this before DCL implemented the rule that you had to assign a TA within 30 days of booking?

I did the transfer in early January, so it was definitely way after 30 days of booking. I booked backed in Sept. 2012.

I did not know about the new 30-day rule for transferring onboard booking, but so glad I now know since I made an onboard booking just last week, meaning to transfer it to Costco, but now know I have a deadline to do so!

You can transfer any ressie prior to final payment to any TA.
However if it's an onboard booking with a discount and OBC you will loose it if not transferred within 30 days.
For some ressies it can still be beneficial financially to transfer and lose OBC and gain a larger sum from TA. Do the math.
Rarely is it beneficial now to transfer an OBB with 10% off AND OBC to a TA after 30 days.
And yes, Costco seems to offer full amount for transfers made at anytime, even if not named onboard. :thumbsup2
Most other TA's reduce their $ benefit if transferred and not named onboard.

So to get full benefit from DCL and Costco, book onboard, name them then or transfer within 30 days.

We love Costco. ;)

Where did you get this information about losing the OBC and 10% discount? I don't see that anywhere in Disney's policies (though they say flat 30 days).

Where did you get this information about losing the OBC and 10% discount? I don't see that anywhere in Disney's policies (though they say flat 30 days).

I thought that was the new rule. I read it here. DCL got tired of doing the work, giving discounts and such, and then still paying TA commissions. Hence the new rule.

They cannot stop a transfer of a ressie of course, but they can stop the bennies from traveling with it.

If you want to keep your discounts and OBC transfer quickly. I'm actually surprised they gave 30 days to transfer and keep bennies. I feel they will eventually force pax to chose one or the other. DCL bennies or TA bennies. IMO

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the new rule.

I'll look for new rule.

ETA; I edited my first post here.

This is all I found. I thought I read you could transfer after 30 days, but you would lose DCL onboard bennies.
I guess I was wrong again. Is it different for bookings onboard?

No transfers after 30 days. Wow.

From DCL site; http://www.disboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=48245402

"Booking & Reservations

Question
Can I transfer my cruise reservation to a travel agent?
Answer

You can transfer your reservation to a travel agent as long as the voyage fare portion of your cruise has not been paid and the request is received within 30 days of your reservation being created. Please contact your travel agent to assist you in completing the necessary authorization form to transfer your booking."

Hey, one of the best ways to learn is make mistakes. ;)

No worries. I've been thinking about trying to transfer my ressie to Costco after the 30 days, but didn't want to risk losing my 10% and OBC. When I booked onboard in October, the person said I could transfer anytime, but then the policy changed (practically unannounced unless you frequent these boards). So, I may try anyway.

Because of the substantiality of the Costco gift card, our next cruise will definitely be booked through them. :)

Does Costco send you an email confirmation when they have taken over the onboard booking?

Does Costco send you an email confirmation when they have taken over the onboard booking?

If you have recently transferred it to Costco, you'll likely need to call them and ask them to "grab it" in the system. Once they pull it over, then yes they will then send you their own confirmation. You might just need to follow-up with them.

I've transferred three cruises to them and this is what they had to do each time but I had no issues.

Heather

The new transfer rules are that you must do it within 30 days of booking and the res cannot be paid in full. You do keep your onboard booking benefits, but you lose the ability to make changes to your res yourself. Everything must go through your TA.

Can we use Disney gift cards to pay for the cruise through Costco? Thanks!

Yes you can but just be patient. You will need to call Costco and give them the card numbers and they will then place you on hold while they call DCL to give them the card numbers. Once you are finished you'll get an updated invoice emailed to you from Costco.

I try not to do any more than 10 at a time. Just remember to hang on to all the gift cards in case you need to cancel or there is a refund for any reason. The credits will be applied back to the cards.

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter