• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cost of wisdom tooth extraction?

traces7

DIS Veteran
My 17 yr old DD has to have her wisdom teeth out. They are all impacted. She wants to be asleep for this. Got an estimate of $3000. Is this about right? What did you pay? Our dental insurance will cover $1500. Waiting to see what medical will cover. (probably not much, we have a $1500 deductible).

Just wondering if this was the normal price or if we should get other estimates. This oral surgeon is in our network for both medical and dental though, so it's probably who we will go with.

We were quoted $3200 and we have a max coverage of $1200/yr for our dental. Our medical does not cover wisdom teeth at all.

My 17 yr old DD has to have her wisdom teeth out. They are all impacted. She wants to be asleep for this. Got an estimate of $3000. Is this about right? What did you pay? Our dental insurance will cover $1500. Waiting to see what medical will cover. (probably not much, we have a $1500 deductible).

Just wondering if this was the normal price or if we should get other estimates. This oral surgeon is in our network for both medical and dental though, so it's probably who we will go with.

My daughter had hers removed. Our insurance covered all but $20.

Medical should cover the cost of the anesthesia - I would ask.

Wow, I guess we got a good deal at $1500 total for all four wisdom teeth for our DD. She just had it done in November.

Our dental and medical covered none of it.

I had one pulled, wasn't impacted, was given laughing gas (included in the cost). It was $295. Paid $59 out of pocket for it. Medical wouldn't pay for anything because it wasn't impacted.

Wife had hers out, all were impacted. It was $2700, plus another $500 because she was knocked out. Dental covered $1200 which is max coverage. Medical covered another $1950, we had to pay the last $50 (outpatient surgery cost or something to that effect).

Had all four out this past September. One of them was impacted. I was referred to an oral surgeon because my regular dentist thought they were too bad for her to deal with. I did have anesthesia.

They billed my medical insurance (United Healthcare) first then dental insurance (Humana). I paid $535 out of pocket and a chunk of that was for a second X-ray (the one with the machine that circles your head) because my dental only covers one X-ray a year and I had already had it at my regular dentist, but the oral surgeon didn't like the quality and wanted to take another. I also had about $40 out of pocket in 4 prescriptions (oral rinse, pain med, antibiotic, steroid).

I know you didn't ask this, but a few other pieces of advice. I had my surgery on a Thursday morning and then took Friday off. I was fine to return to work Monday. My oral surgeon required someone bring me and be there during the whole procedure and take me home. The head wrap ice pack is your very best friend! Do NOT read the Internet horror stories about everything that can go wrong. I was panicking before my procedure over things like dry socket, broken jaw and severed nerves.

Please just be sure your oral surgeon or dentist etc has use of a qualified, certified anesthesiologist and Clear procedures in place for emergencies
I'd also specifically ask how often s/he uses that particular anesth for the procedure.
You may be quite surprised to find out that patients assume things that may not be accurate.
Best of luck!

I strongly recommend double-checking that your estimate includes EVERYTHING. It could be just the portion the dentist intends to bill, or include just a vague estimate on anesthesia. In my experience, anesthesia is never estimated anywhere near accurately and we end up getting 2-3-4 bills trickling in for various aspects (the medication itself, the anesthesiologist, sometimes a 2nd anesthesiologist, equipment charges, etc.). Also be sure the "facility" charge has been included as well, since that is often above and beyond the costs of the dentist/surgeon and anesthesia.

Patients tend to think of procedures as a "package" deal but there are so many parts involved and in today's healthcare environment each is billed separately.

Good luck!

I had two removed. It was about $500, plus we paid $300 for me to have twilight sleep. I don't think full anesthesia is really necessary. I don't remember my extractions at all.

I can't remember if my insurance covered or not. I'm thinking it only did a small portion. They did have a payment plan. I went to an oral surgeon. I only had 2 removed (only have 2 - bottom didn't have any in existence!) Mine had already grown out - so mine were very easy to remove since there weren't impacted under the gums. I had an IV with anesthesia and steroid and also laughing gas. It was fast and I had no pain. Never had any pain in the next days and I didn't use the pain pill prescription. I just took ibuprofen. I didn't get all loopy like all the videos you see online. The girl in the room next to me was a high school student and she was all loopy! her mother was laughing at her. I didn't feel any different and even told the doctor - am I supposed to be feeling out of it? Because I feel normal? He turned up the gas! But I still felt normal. He pulled out the 2 teeth and I didn't feel it but I felt him holding my head. I did have to have someone drive me home. I didn't have any bleeding (some people say you will bleed on your pillowcase at night - I put a towel over my pillowcase but I never bled). I did get so sick of milkshakes and scrambled eggs! hahahahaha But I was fine that night and the next day (at that time I had a toddler and still was able to function normally to take care of him all day!) Though my lack of side effects after - no pain, no swelling, no bleeding - could be because mine weren't impacted so it was just a normal tooth pulling! I did have the stitches and then go back to get them removed.

I'm having one pulled in a few days, only because it's causing problems to the molar next to it.

It is impacted. I will be having anesthesia and be put to sleep when the procedure is happening.

$340 for extraction
$250 for anesthesia

So total cost is $590. I don't have
dental insurance so having it done by an oral surgeon at the dental school.

My DD just had all 4 of hers out at the end of December. 1 impacted and 3 grown out. Here's what I've learned. Medical will only cover anesthesia if the teeth are all impacted. And they have to be extracted by an Oral Surgeon. At least that's the case with our health insurance. Dental will not cover any anesthesia. All 4 teeth had to be impacted. Because my DD only had 1 impacted tooth, she was not put out. We offered to pay out of pocket for it, but, were denied. She had them all taken out with Novocain and a little gas.
I was quoted $1900.00 for all 4, my dental covered 80% And then my DH's dental covered 80% of that. We have yet to get an actual bill, but, my oop shouldn't be more than $80.00.

I had mine quoted around $1,800 for four but insurance paid all of that. I did opt to pay $560 myself so they would knock me out though, I am a big chicken when it comes to the dentist.

This really depends a lot on your area and if you are going to an oral surgeon or a general dentist. Go to an oral surgeon! Also, if they are impacted it will cost more. You may get some of the cost of anesthesia covered by your medical but they probably know at the office you have chosen.

DD had hers taken out this past October All 4 Fully impacted Quote was $2800 including anesthesia We do not have dental insurance, however, we have Individual Family BCBS and under Affordable Care Act, there is pediatric dental care attached to it. We do not use the dental portion for the kids because it is generally HMO dentists and as a former Hygienist, I won't use an HMO dentist. Well it so happens that the Oral Surgeon was a provider on the insurance (non HMO) and insurance covered it 100%. So check if you have Pediatric dental insurance attached to your health insurance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter