Cost of upgrading a ticket bought from UT

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I am trying to figure out the best 4 day ticket prices. I'm wondering if it would be a good deal to buy the 2 days plus 1 day free ticket, and then upgrade to the 4th... I've read that when you upgrade a ticket bought through universal at a discount, such as the $20 online discount, when you upgrade you "lose" the discount, meaning they make you pay the difference in tickets as well as the previous discount. But, how would they know what you paid at UT? At WDW (not sure if it's still true now or not), once you activated a ticket, it was honored at full value for upgrades.
Does anyone know if this is true at Universal?

We upgraded in September. We paid $9 to upgrade from a 3 day park to park purchased at undercover tourist, to an power pass.

It seems like they now give you gate price for your ticket.

However, I'm not sure if their buy a 2 day get 3rd free is a promotional ticket. If that is the case, it might not be upgradable. Check with them.

At the beginning of Oct I was able to upgrade my buy 2 day get 1 free ticket (purchased on Orbitz) to the Power Pass annual pass for $9.

I just read all the details on UT and it said it was treated like a normal 3 day, so I guess it's worth a try. To upgrade, do you have to go to the ticket booth, or can you do it at the hotel?

I just read all the details on UT and it said it was treated like a normal 3 day, so I guess it's worth a try. To upgrade, do you have to go to the ticket booth, or can you do it at the hotel?

You need to go to guest services at the parks.

do you need to enter the park and activate your ticket to upgrade it?

I am not sure if it makes a difference or not if you enter the parks first. When I upgraded back in January I entered the parks first. But, that's because it was a blackout day for the powerpass. By entering the park first, I was able to get into the park on a blackout day and get a power pass. You may want to go inside anyways because the lines inside are shorter and you won't need to upgrade first thing in the morning.

use the ticket to get into the parks.
go to guest services and upgrade it with the TM

if you go to the guest services outside of the park, whey will need to contact a supervisor for upgrading.
quicker doing it inside the park.

i upgraded sons ticket last year.
this is what i was told when i went to the outside guest services first.
so went into the park and handled it there.

if things have changed now, i wouldn't know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter