Cost of Milk --oh my!

I am moving so we can get cheaper milk. Ours is over $4 a gallon and we go through atleast 5 gallons a week! I can't believe how cheap it is some places. It went here about 2 weeks ago and I about fell over when i saw the price!

We buy soy milk at Costco but many grocery items I buy have gone way up in price. I'm a good shopper but it's getting tough to get out of Publix without spending a fortune.

on sale for 2.27 at Meijer, regular price is 2.55.

Reg price went from 2.55 to 2.99 a few weeks ago, but it went right back down a week later.

Sale price used to be 1.88/1.99.

Our is down a little from over $5. to $4.88 now...I buy Nutrish by Mayfield...it is really good, so I pay the money!!

I am ready to pay a visit to the cows next door to me...:lmao:

HA! I just had a picture of you sneaking over the fence in the middle of the night milking the cows without the farmer's knowledge.

Instead of siphoning gas from cars, we'll all be illegally milking cows that aren't ours!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

And with drought like conditions taking over much of the country, food prices could go higher.

I'm thinking about getting a cow. It's got to be cheaper feeding him and the manure will help the lawn. Milk is ridiculous. 4.89 here in Jersey

Where are you buying milk in NJ? I live also in NJ, and its only $3.56 at Wegmans (skim)

It's $3.48 at the Walmart near me, $5.04 on base and over $6-7 a gallon at most grocery stores here.

I think milk is a "loss leader" at our Walmart, because at my old SuperWalmart in Florida it was around $5 last year.

I hate Walmart but I do go there to pick up milk at that price!

OMG if milk ever reaches $7 per gallon here, then it's time for me to keep a cow in the backyard.

The PA state minimum for milk is $3.49/gallon. Some places have signs they sell at the state minimum.

The cheapest prices for milk in NJ is at Shop-Rite where they will rotate each week the milk on sale (ie, skim, 1%, 2%) it sells for $2.89 the last time I was there.

Also Costco sells it for around $2.65 per gallon.

Where are you buying milk in NJ? I live also in NJ, and its only $3.56 at Wegmans (skim)

Shoprite and Acme in Southern NJ. I could get it cheaper at Sams but it's out of my way and the money I save in milk I would spend in gas. Heritage does have a promotion buy 5 gallons, sixth is free.

Wow, I'd have been shocked too! I had to go check my receipt from yesterday. I paid $2.69 a gallon for skim at Target. That is around the norm here $2.60-3. We go through about 4 gallons a week so it'd be a big jump if we had to pay that much. Yikes!

I think ours is about 3.20 a gal. I never really noticed. We buy about 4 gal a week and there are only 4 of us in the house! My kids only get milk, water, or 1 juice a day. At least milk is good for them. I am shocked that some people are paying about 5 bucks a gal.

The PA state minimum for milk is $3.49/gallon. Some places have signs they sell at the state minimum.

It isn't that simple. Pennsylvania state minimum prices for milk are dictated by the Milk Marketing Board. Prices are derived from a number of factors including fat content, the size of the container and the area of the state in which it is sold. You can find the chart of June 2007 prices here June 2007 PA Milk State Minimum Prices

Checking my receipts from Costco, since about May, for one gallon fat free milk

$2.15/gal
$2.25/gal
2.49/gal

Today--$2.79 gal

That's the cheapest around--local grocery stores run about $4/gal:eek:

We go through about 6-7 gal/week. Too bad you can't buy milk and freeze and store it, you can't stock up too much on sales because it just goes bad. Any sales usually limit you anyways, CVS sales usually 2 gal per customer. Last sale I took my kids, paid cash, and we each bought 2 gals. Guess they come in handy for something!:rotfl2:

So, does anyone have any recipies to "stretch" milk? Seems I read somewhere about mixing a portion of milk with some reconstituted powdered milk, you mix some part milk and some part milk blended with the powdered milk and water, use a blender, anyone have such a recipie?

We freeze milk. When it's on a great sale, we buy lots. You just need to make sure you pour out some of it (I pour out about 16 oz into a gallon tupperware pitcher) and then put the cap back on tightly. And freeze! :)

Then when I defrost it, I make sure it's ALL defrosted before I start using it (no using it when there is still a chunk of ice in the middle)

Shoprite and Acme in Southern NJ. I could get it cheaper at Sams but it's out of my way and the money I save in milk I would spend in gas. Heritage does have a promotion buy 5 gallons, sixth is free.

Shoprite and Acme have higher prices than Wegmans on milk. If you are near Wegmans, that is something to think about. I paid 2.56 on Sun.

CVS will have gallons on sale for 2.69 I think starting this Sunday.

We freeze milk too- I buy a gallon and pour it off into smaller pints and quarts filling about 2/3 of the way and freezing. We don't drink much but like to have a pint waiting for cereal, etc.

Wow...I can't believe some of these prices. I just bought a gallon of 1% at the supermarket (Fry's, which is Kroger's in the East) for $1.99. It did go up for about 2 weeks to $2.67 but that's the most I've ever paid since I moved here two years ago. You can also buy 1% at Safeway for 2 for $5 every week. I'm not sure why it is less expensive here than in other parts of the country.:confused3

Deb

Too bad you can't buy milk and freeze and store it, you can't stock up too much on sales because it just goes bad.

Actually, you can freeze milk. In fact, around here, most of the milk jugs have concave areas in the plastic so that when you freeze the milk, the "windows" can pop out to allow for the expansion. We don't have to pour any milk out of the jug first.
We used to always keep at least a gallon in the freezer for the kids and the ladies, just in case. That was before we got a second fridge!
Lydia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter