Cost of Milk at FW?

codsimms

Earning My Ears
Odd question I know, but we will be coming to the Fort for 8 days in March and we have triplet toddlers who go through a gallon of milk a day. Due to the limited capacity of RV fridges, carrying enough to get us through the trip plus all the other food is looking like a little bit of a stretch...so I was looking at buying it a gallon or two at a time.

So, anyone know the current price of a gallon of milk at the trading posts? I know it won't be cheap but it would probably beat driving to a grocery store every day.

Thanks

Not sure I've seen gallons at the trading posts, just half gallons. Maybe they figure no one could afford a full gallon. One solution might be to keep an extra gallon or two in a cooler with enough ice to keep it cold. Milk also freezes well, so bringing a few frozen gallons in a cooler from home might give you some alternative.

I was under the impression the inverse was true, milk doesn't freeze well. Doesn't the curd seperate when frozen, and not re-immerse when thawed? I very well may be wrong on this one though.

The half gallon size of whole milk, skim and 1% is $2.89. The 2% size comes in alittle smaller size and is $2.49. I just bought some milk the other day so I hope I'm remembering correctly.

I freeze milk all the time. No problem.

X2 and as mentioned it's more expensive, but not like beer and some of the other convenience foods. While the cooler is an option ice is '$2 a bag and I doubt it would last more than two days. The nearest reasonable grocery is the Winn Dixie on 535 and is around 8 miles away so the cost of gas, your time, and the ice might make that option awash or even more expensive than just buying it from the Meadows.

Larry

X2 and as mentioned it's more expensive, but not like beer and some of the other convenience foods. While the cooler is an option ice is '$2 a bag and I doubt it would last more than two days. The nearest reasonable grocery is the Winn Dixie on 535 and is around 8 miles away so the cost of gas, your time, and the ice might make that option awash or even more expensive than just buying it from the Meadows.

Larry

I was thinking the same thing! I did not realize just how much ice I would use the first time we camped at the fort. We have a small fridge so we keep our beverages in a cooler and buying ice everyday adds up when you are there for 10 or more days. Also, yes the trouble time and gas to go to the store just for milk, if you are only buying milk it probably is a wash to just buy that at the trading post.

I was thinking the same thing! I did not realize just how much ice I would use the first time we camped at the fort. We have a small fridge so we keep our beverages in a cooler and buying ice everyday adds up when you are there for 10 or more days. Also, yes the trouble time and gas to go to the store just for milk, if you are only buying milk it probably is a wash to just buy that at the trading post.

LOL when we go on a trip it is often for 45 to 60 days and we tend to not only take the kitchen sink, but another bathroom or two of "stuff". I have a mid sized RV refer about 7 cuft., but also have a NORCOLD portable 75lb MFRT40 that we also take for more frozen space and for about the first week a 40qt cooler to keep things like veggies and fruit in because of the lack of refer room. I found I was getting ice about every day and a half and a secret is to take your cooler up to the ice machine and put it under the chute with the bag over the chute since it will spit out more ice than will fit in just the bag.

Larry

We freeze milk all the time. We usually take a frozen gallon of milk and some frozen tea when we go camping. We put them in the cooler, it cuts down on the amount of ice we have to use and by the time the milk or tea is thawed out- we've used up what we had on hand and are ready to drink the thawed stuff.

For a better price on milk and ice try the Hess stations.

We freeze milk all the time. We usually take a frozen gallon of milk and some frozen tea when we go camping. We put them in the cooler, it cuts down on the amount of ice we have to use and by the time the milk or tea is thawed out- we've used up what we had on hand and are ready to drink the thawed stuff.

I use the same trick with water bottles. I freeze them and use them for ice and then drink when thawed. Saves lots of room.

You could buy a small refrigerator. We don't use the shower in our MH, so my husband built a platform and we have an extra refrigerator/freezer there. We got it from Home Depot and I think it's about 4 to 5 feet tall.

We popup so we use a drink and food cooler. I have found that dry ice chopped up and mixed with regular ice for a base, then covered with reg ice kept us frozen for 4 days. It was cooler out that weekend. Just dont let anything actually touch the dry ice, the drinks will freeze and explode and the food will burn. If I was staying any longer I would look into one of those larger mini fridges from costco. Take advantage of the electric, lights, cooking etc!

You could buy a small refrigerator. We don't use the shower in our MH, so my husband built a platform and we have an extra refrigerator/freezer there. We got it from Home Depot and I think it's about 4 to 5 feet tall.

That's a great idea and we did something similar for our unused shower for the most part, but have the following which can be removed along with the platform in less than a minute if we really need to use the shower which in three years and close to 180 days camping has been less than 3 or 4 times.

2092949470035848260S600x600Q85.jpg

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter