Cost of Groceries near Disney

dcolleenkelly

Mouseketeer
Hi Folks,

We'll be staying in a townhouse in Windsor Hills next week and I wanted to know if I can expect to pay a lot more for groceries when we go shopping.
In other words, do the grocery stores take advantage of the tourists and jack up the prices?

For a family of four, we typically spend about $100 - $120 on groceries per week, but that includes cleaning items and cat food and other incidentals - clearly we won't be buying anything like that. AND we'll be eating out 50% of the time, so our food purchases will be less than our typical grocery haul.
But still, I want to have an idea of what I can expect to pay at the Publix (or WalMart or Target...whatevs).

Thanks much!

I checked the local ads for the Publix near there. Stouffers family size entree for $4.99.

For us, the prices are a bit higher on some items, but they are pretty consistant with the Publix nearest us.

I have read that if you make a menu of what you plan to eat, then it'll make your grocery shopping easier to plan.

Also, I believe no tax on food items in Florida. I live on a state border...one state taxes food (9%) and the other doesn't. So, I try to shop the no tax side, but sometimes the prices even out.

Great advice - thanks so much! Now, if I could only get the other family members to be so kind as to help me plan a menu.

We like publix when we go. Avoid Goodings and I don't really like Winn-Dixie. We went to a new chain I had never heard of last trip, I can't remember the name of it, but it was really high! I just went back to Publix and I was happy with the prices and quality.

We find that generally the food items like fresh fruits and vegetables are higher in Florida than what we pay here. Makes no difference if you go to WalMart or Publix. Can't understand why I can buy something grown in Florida cheaper at home than I can in Florida.

We found Publix prices very reasonable and we were able to pick up Disney themed autograph books there for next to nothing!:)

We generally shop at Aldi when at home and I noticed (in all my planning) that there are Aldi's in Florida. Does anyone know how they compare to Publix? Where is the closest Publix?

We generally shop at Aldi when at home and I noticed (in all my planning) that there are Aldi's in Florida. Does anyone know how they compare to Publix? Where is the closest Publix?

Publix is not a discount grocer like Aldi, they are a normal, chain full service store.

We like publix when we go. Avoid Goodings and I don't really like Winn-Dixie. We went to a new chain I had never heard of last trip, I can't remember the name of it, but it was really high! I just went back to Publix and I was happy with the prices and quality.

:thumbsup2

Celebration just opened a new Publix, it is on the same rode were Old Town is. Sorry, I don't know my road names. Publix is not like Aldi's. It is a large grocery store chain in Florida. When we were in the Florida Keys, we went to a Publix. We were going to make our own subsandwiches. Sliced deli meat was $12.00 a lb. and that was the cheap ham. Beef and turkey was running around $18.00 a lb. I purposely looked last April what the prices were by Celebration and the same meat was running around $7.00 a lb.

We usually hit the SuperTarget on 192 west of Animal Kingdom, or Walmart on 535. Publix is an option too.

Winn Dixie is way too high. They wanted $1.99 for a bottle of powerade, $6.99 for Dasani Water, and $5.99 for a pound of grapes during out last visit.

Target prices are no higher than here in KY.

We find that generally the food items like fresh fruits and vegetables are higher in Florida than what we pay here. Makes no difference if you go to WalMart or Publix.

OP - I agree with blondietink. A few years ago before Disney's Vero Beach, I shopped the Sam's Club & Wal-Mart in Vero Beach - no where near WDW. The fresh foods (including beef/poultry/fish) were much more than Metro Detroit area. My uncle's neighbor in VB was newly retired to Fla (from Kentucky, I believe) and she complained of the same thing. I would imagine the Keys are outrageous $$. :faint:

In Orlando, Publix is higher than our local stores for green groceries. Never tried Goodings, but Sam's Club & Costco in Orlando are on par with Detroit.

FWIW - much prefer Publix to Winn-Dixie.

Can't understand why I can buy something grown in Florida cheaper at home than I can in Florida.

Don't get me started... :crazy: lol

You're comparing a discount store with limited selection to a full service grocery store.

Publix has a better deli, bakery, meat, seafood and produce section. About 10 times better, at least. Fresher, higher quality products and USDA grades of meat ect. ect. Deli meat may be cheaper but when the discount stuff is packed with fillers and added nitrates/nitrites not to mention added water volume, it's no wonder it's cheaper, lol.

It's unfair to compare the two because discount brands of lower quality can't be put up against higher quality items that command a higher price.

That said, Publix prices are reasonable and their sales are excellent. They are head and shoulders above other chains in the area like winn-dixie.

The problem with being on vacation is you only have a 1-2 week window to shop and you may wind up paying full price for some items that were heavily discounted on the prior weeks sale.

For example do you buy a box of cereal for full price this week or do you wait until next week when you can buy two boxes for the price of one? You don't have that luxury on vacation.

Publix is the best grocery store in Florida, just realize that some of the items you may want may not be on sale that week. That's life.

For us we only shop Publix while in Florida, we know everything there will be fresh and the prices will either be great (if on sale) or acceptable if not on sale. We can also get everything we want food wise there and that saves us precious vacation time to do other things.

***OT but I miss living in Florida.

USDA grades of meat are at Aldi's by the way, they have great selection of staple products. And during the winter time up north the produce is about the same in other change stores at half the price.

Sorry just had to defend Aldi's store.

Celebration just opened a new Publix, it is on the same rode were Old Town is. Sorry, I don't know my road names. Publix is not like Aldi's. It is a large grocery store chain in Florida. When we were in the Florida Keys, we went to a Publix. We were going to make our own subsandwiches. Sliced deli meat was $12.00 a lb. and that was the cheap ham. Beef and turkey was running around $18.00 a lb. I purposely looked last April what the prices were by Celebration and the same meat was running around $7.00 a lb.

The road in 192 in celebration fantastic store with fair prices
http://store.publix.com/publix/cgi/...name=&region=&place=34747&x=0&y=0&mapx=&mapy=

USDA grades of meat are at Aldi's by the way, they have great selection of staple products. And during the winter time up north the produce is about the same in other change stores at half the price.

Sorry just had to defend Aldi's store.

I have to agree with you!

We have always found Aldi to be a good store. I know that it doesn't have as big of a selection but I don't think it needs to have a lot to save us money! We will be more than happy to get our food from there on the trip and then we will be able to do a few extra things that we wouldn't if we went somewhere else.

I have to agree with you!

We have always found Aldi to be a good store. I know that it doesn't have as big of a selection but I don't think it needs to have a lot to save us money! We will be more than happy to get our food from there on the trip and then we will be able to do a few extra things that we wouldn't if we went somewhere else.

Same here in Chicago area. The prices are cheaper and quality is high.

We always go to the Super Target on 192. I think their prices are close to those at home. The best part is that at the front of the store, they have a Disney gift/souvenir section! I have bought my photo albums there for the pat 2years. They sell cups, magnets, t shirts, pins, frames, all kinds of goodies, at great prices.

When we stayed at WH this summer we went to the Walmart or Target for our groceries. They seemed in line with local prices.

Our first trip about 10 years ago, the Target on 192 wasn't built yet and we didn't know where the nearest WM was, so we went to Publix. They seemed much higher than what we were used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter