Cost of Disneyland Vacation

jbobst

Earning My Ears
It's been awhile since I posted here, so pardon me if this topic has been brought up before. So today I got an email from Disney Destinations advertising a stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotel. I was thinking it would be nice to plan a trip soon, so I thought I would look at a booking cost. I figured it would just be me and my two kids, so I plugged in a weekend in late January for just a Friday, Saturday, Sunday (2 nights, 3 day park hopper) at the Disneyland Hotel. My jaw dropped when I saw the price!!! They want almost $2300 for a weekend! And that doesn't even include one bit of food! I haven't stayed on property since I was about 3 years old in 1976, but I just can't believe it costs that much. I am sure a neighboring hotel in the area would save me a bunch of money, but I am simply amazed they can charge that much (and obviously get that much as the park seems more crowded than ever). I don't begrudge them for making money, but it's just very frustrating how much the costs have gone up and how much more busy the parks are these days. Plus, it looks like there are so many attractions closed this coming year. I am thinking that there may not be many more trips to Disneyland (sadly).

My wife and I are taking a 7 day cruise (all food included) in April and that only costs about $1400 total. Time to stick with more cruises and other vacation options I suppose.

Supply and demand. You could probably find some discounted price on the tickets. Hotel rooms in the area go for less than $200 a night.

You would get some benefits to staying there, but it's only an extra hour every day. However, some people stay there because they want the whole experience. They wouldn't be charging that much if people didn't pay it. I'm not saying they're always full, but they've probably figured out how much they can charge such that demand/costs/etc make them money.

Welcome to the 21st Century. I remember when I could get into Disneyland for less than $12.

It's been awhile since I posted here, so pardon me if this topic has been brought up before. So today I got an email from Disney Destinations advertising a stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotel. I was thinking it would be nice to plan a trip soon, so I thought I would look at a booking cost. I figured it would just be me and my two kids, so I plugged in a weekend in late January for just a Friday, Saturday, Sunday (2 nights, 3 day park hopper) at the Disneyland Hotel. My jaw dropped when I saw the price!!! They want almost $2300 for a weekend! And that doesn't even include one bit of food! I haven't stayed on property since I was about 3 years old in 1976, but I just can't believe it costs that much. I am sure a neighboring hotel in the area would save me a bunch of money, but I am simply amazed they can charge that much (and obviously get that much as the park seems more crowded than ever). I don't begrudge them for making money, but it's just very frustrating how much the costs have gone up and how much more busy the parks are these days. Plus, it looks like there are so many attractions closed this coming year. I am thinking that there may not be many more trips to Disneyland (sadly).

My wife and I are taking a 7 day cruise (all food included) in April and that only costs about $1400 total. Time to stick with more cruises and other vacation options I suppose.

While on-site stays can be expensive, that total seemed off. I just went to the DL website and put in a two night stay beginning January 25, 2013 for one adult and two kids. It gave me a rate of $1240 for two nights at the PPH with three day parkhoppers. Not exactly cheap, but significantly cheaper than what you were quoted. The Grand was $1520.

Yep, we paid 3k for PPH in a theme park view room, 5 nights with 6 day park hoppers (while they still had them) and 2 character meals thrown in... This was for last week. Then spent an additional 1k on food, snacks and a couple souvies. And here I want to go back again....

I don't fault them if they can charge that much, just sad that I can't justify the cost anymore. More of a commentary than anything I guess.

Also, when I did my quote online for the weekend price, I was surprised that the Disneyland hotel was MORE expensive than the Grand Californian. I did a sample booking for January 18th through the 20th. (the Grand was "only" $1721)

The Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon is that weekend. It might explain the higher price tag. :)

I don't fault them if they can charge that much, just sad that I can't justify the cost anymore. More of a commentary than anything I guess.

Also, when I did my quote online for the weekend price, I was surprised that the Disneyland hotel was MORE expensive than the Grand Californian. I did a sample booking for January 18th through the 20th. (the Grand was "only" $1721)

What kind of room? And as the PP said, it's Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon AND MLK weekend. I'd bet you might have been quoted a theme park view or concierge room bc the standards might be sold out.

Supply and demand. You could probably find some discounted price on the tickets. Hotel rooms in the area go for less than $200 a night.

You would get some benefits to staying there, but it's only an extra hour every day. However, some people stay there because they want the whole experience. They wouldn't be charging that much if people didn't pay it. I'm not saying they're always full, but they've probably figured out how much they can charge such that demand/costs/etc make them money.

Welcome to the 21st Century. I remember when I could get into Disneyland for less than $12.

I remember those days well with the etickets, ticket books etc and I could by a brand new muscle car for less than 3 K not the world anymore. A Disney trip never fits the budget so we take extra work to have the money to do what we like....Best to decide what you can live with and do what it takes to get there.

Jack

We paid $1000 for air and 4 nights at a non-disney hotel (Ramada Maingate) for 3 people.

Our park hoppers were the discounted ones (3-day park hoppers @ $220 each) but we had a $200 disney GC that we used towards those.

We have 1 night at a park and ride hotel prior to the day we leave that is actually less than airport parking will be for the duration of our trip.

We only have our tickets and transportation to Universal Studios and will pay for those when we get to the Grayline station ($354).

And then our meals & spending money (approx. $800-$1000).

It is not cheap. Even when you stay at an inexpensive hotel.

Our cost will be close to $3000 for our family of 3. Our son just turned 16 and we want to have one last hoorah while he is still somewhat of a kid.

I remember those days well with the etickets, ticket books etc and I could by a brand new muscle car for less than 3 K not the world anymore. A Disney trip never fits the budget so we take extra work to have the money to do what we like....Best to decide what you can live with and do what it takes to get there.

Jack

My parents used to be the ultimate budget buyers when we visited. We'd always stay with relatives in Southern California. We drove when gas was under $1.50 a gallon. The ticket books were fun and I liked tearing them out myself. And frankly the cost was less - even adjusted for inflation.

However, I would say that Disney does seem to be spending way more to actually justify their prices.

We have a 5 night stay booked at the Grand Californian starting January 1st for $2,300, including tax. That does NOT include theme park tickets, as we bought those at Costco. I'm budgeting another $700 for food. It is expensive...I thought about the PP hotel as a cheaper alternative, but I knew I'd regret it once we got there. I love the GC, and thankfully we are in a position to be able to afford it (thank you to my dear hubby who brings home the bacon, lol).

Welcome to the new millennium. Comparing 1976 or cruise prices is apples and oranges and not valid. Price a 5 night trip to Atlantis or beaches or sandals or Hawaii and see what the price comparison is. If u want to compare cost of a disney cruise vs other cruise lines that would be a good comparison. Compare disney to universal Florida and u will find its virtually identical in cost

Wih that being said i do agree disney land resorts are pricey but as they say in real estate...location location location

Welcome to the new millennium. Comparing 1976 or cruise prices is apples and oranges and not valid. Price a 5 night trip to Atlantis or beaches or sandals or Hawaii and see what the price comparison is. If u want to compare cost of a disney cruise vs other cruise lines that would be a good comparison. Compare disney to universal Florida and u will find its virtually identical in cost

Wih that being said i do agree disney land resorts are pricey but as they say in real estate...location location location

The price of a Disneyland admission used to be on par with the admission prices I remember at other theme parks. Now it seems to be 50-100% higher. However, many of those theme parks have noticeable issues with maintenance as well as wear and tear. Disney has provided a better experience while regional theme parks have often gone to the pits.

Perhaps the prices I remember weren't necessarily comparable since they came with ticket books. Here's a list of Disneyland admission prices since 1982, the year they stopped issuing ride tickets and went to unlimited rides during operating hours.

http://themeparks.lovetoknow.com/Disneyland_Ticket_Prices

$12 in 1982.

Have you looked into places like Costco? We are going in early Jan. and staying at the Paradise Pier. It's was about $1600 for 2 nights, 3 park hoppers, 3 meal vouchers good for one meal up to $40 per person and a $20 gift card. AAA has the same prices but you only get free parking.

Mommy2PrincessAbby said:
Yep, we paid 3k for PPH in a theme park view room, 5 nights with 6 day park hoppers (while they still had them) and 2 character meals thrown in... This was for last week. Then spent an additional 1k on food, snacks and a couple souvies. And here I want to go back again....

How many people?

Mommy2PrincessAbby said:
2 adults 1 child :)

I guess that makes sense for 5 days. We are only staying 2 nights and its $1600. Still beats what we paid for a week in WDW!

bcla said:
The price of a Disneyland admission used to be on par with the admission prices I remember at other theme parks. Now it seems to be 50-100% higher. However, many of those theme parks have noticeable issues with maintenance as well as wear and tear. Disney has provided a better experience while regional theme parks have often gone to the pits.

Perhaps the prices I remember weren't necessarily comparable since they came with ticket books. Here's a list of Disneyland admission prices since 1982, the year they stopped issuing ride tickets and went to unlimited rides during operating hours.

http://themeparks.lovetoknow.com/Disneyland_Ticket_Prices

$12 in 1982.

I would still say compare to universal for apples to apples. I don't consider other theme parks to be on par with disney experience for cost comparison. I have not found universal Florida to be any cheaper than disney world or disney land

I would throw amusement parks in a seperate category. Parks like six flags, Hershey, Busch gardens, knottsberry, cedar point, dolly wood, etc

jbobst said:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only 1 that feels this way" this is called inflation are dollar is not taking us as far as it should. I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and as far as I'm concerned it's a little overrated you walked twice is far to get to the park and you can stay across a street at the Howard Johnson or the carousel inn or the Tropicana for half that price. Goods and services are going through the roof just a little over a year ago cotton prices sword in Egypt the United States gets most of its cotton out of Egypt for example I use to pay $30.00 dollars for a pair of 501 button up fly Levis now I'm paying $45.00 dollars for them this is at JC Penneys or Sears" examples 2" I've been married for 26 years now I use to pay for gas 89 cents a gallon now we're paying $3.65 to $ 4.00 and up to $5.00 dollars a gallon of gas depending where you're at in the United States, the Federal Reserve would have you believe that there is no inflation rate for example look at gold prices gold prices are at $1,700 dollars an ounce your dollar and my dollar is being devalued a family of 5 today house to make over 125,000 dollar income just to keep up this is the new 21st century and if you are doing that kind of income you're doing better than some not as good as others well I hope I didn't depress you too much. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's have fun at Disneyland remember we're all in this together.

I would fiddle with the dates to see if you can come up with a better hotel deal.

No matter how you slice it, Disneyland is expensive. The tickets alone are big money. So worth it, though! As others have said, find your budget and work backwards. Ticket prices are pretty set, but hotels vary greatly.

I hope you find a way to make a trip work. I just got back and wish I could go again soon - but we can only do once a year. So fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter