• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cost for Single Occupancy

Doingitagain

DIS Veteran
My sister is planning to join us on a July 2014 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean. The website says the cost for single occupancy is 200% of one occupant. So you are paying for two passengers, even though you are eating and using amenities for only 1. I believe it was 150% in the past, which was still high but more reasonable than 200%.

When did this change happen?

Actually up to a few months ago it was at 175%. When I've looked at it recently there is a slight difference between single and double at usually around 6-7%. (ie I checked a 7-night Caribbean and a double was at 2170 for two before taxes and fees while a single was 2030)

Is it just the 3 of you traveling? If you have children traveling with you, book one of them in her cabin. Disney does not care where you sleep. You will just have to get an extra key.

Even getting a room is double. Yes, food is the same - but that is only part of the cost. Most lines expect people to pay for other things - like a t-shirt, pictures, wine, etc. That extra person would not be adding the goodies the the line is counting on.

Is it possible they adjust the charge based on the cruise? I know that my mom paid 150% for our Panama Canal in December. The ship wasn't full. Maybe they charge more on cruises they expect to be at full capacity?

Yes, the cost for single supplement is very close to double occupancy and although I believe its not fair I understand why.

Even getting a room is double. Yes, food is the same - but that is only part of the cost. Most lines expect people to pay for other things - like a t-shirt, pictures, wine, etc. That extra person would not be adding the goodies the the line is counting on.

That is why I understand the 150%. I just think the 200%% is steep. We never buy that much on a cruise to equal a full price passenger.

Errrr....this is my one issue with DCL. When I first started sailing DCL the charge was 150% in 2006 and then it rose to 175% in 2008 or so. I did take a RCI cruise in 2007 that was 200%. Not happy that DCL followed suit. I do think they offer a lower supplement on cruises that aren't selling well but I haven't seen it advertised.

I'm one that spends a lot in the spa, Remy, Palo, etc (probably more than many other 2 person cabins) but still have to pay the extra single supplement. Not fair but that's the rules and if I want to sail on DCL, I know that upfront.

Jill in CO

All cruise lines do it and I think its awful but in the end its my choice however I get hit all round I also need an accessable cabin for my ECV so 200% for single occupany plus if I wanta verandah having to pay for a bigger balcony which I dont want but get anyway and they reclassified the cabins. When I went to book on board last year (I am gold going into platinum) the cost had gone up over $1000 and no chance of VGT because of the cabin, I had to downsize to a restricted ocean view to get within my budget and unless I am much mistaken this august will be the last time they have priced me out of the market

Jacqui

Disney is pricing a lot of people out. I don't mind paying 150% and I tip well but I can't afford 200%. Many other cruise lines are charging less for the cruise and only 150% occupancy. I am watching the Galveston run in Oct./Nov. in hopes of a good deal.

Deal and DCL dont seem to go together any more if I had the energy and didnt live across the pond I would se4riously consier going to ADA as I actually think theya re discriminating they were not even interested in replying to a long ncely worded email I sent on the subject last august when I got home

Jacqui

When did this change happen?

Shortly after we booked my MIL in her own room for a cruise. I believe we booked in July, and then we actually cancelled her participation in the cruise in November (b/c she'd had 6 series of strokes between Labor Day and Halloween), so some time in between there.

I was on the Wonder two weeks ago in a verandah cabin by myself (the rest of my party was in a two bedroom suite on Deck 8). I made the reservation last May and the cost was 175%. It changed to 200% a few months after I made the deposit, but my fare, of course, did not change.

I cruised in a cabin by myself on Holland America to Alaska in 2009 and paid 150%.

It was sometime within the past year that DCL increased the "single supplement" to be 200%. So cruises that were booked prior to the change would not have been impacted but any cruises since then are. Taxes and port fees will only be charged for 1 person but the cruise fare is full-rate.

I think it makes total sense that they do this. All rooms are based on double occupancy. If you stay in any hotel it is the same price for one or two people. If my 4 year old flies on an airplane it is the same price as me even though they are a child. If they charged by the person they would be losing money because they could have sold the single room to a family of 2 or more. This is why I always put my daughter in the room with my mom. She is paying the same price either way.
I do understand it is frustrating and I wish it was a per person charge, it does make sense why it is not that way.

I think it makes total sense that they do this. All rooms are based on double occupancy. If you stay in any hotel it is the same price for one or two people. If my 4 year old flies on an airplane it is the same price as me even though they are a child. If they charged by the person they would be losing money because they could have sold the single room to a family of 2 or more. This is why I always put my daughter in the room with my mom. She is paying the same price either way.
I do understand it is frustrating and I wish it was a per person charge, it does make sense why it is not that way.

IMO, the difference is with a hotel, etc... food is generally not included in the price of the room.

I do think a single person paying more, 150% or so, is fair. But the single person just wont use all the of amenities that 2 people will.

We are running into this problem with a cruise with my family we are planning. I have one sister who is single and unattached. She would prefer her own room but for her to pay nearly the same price as my father and his girlfriend seems crazy to me. If my sister can't find a friend to come with us, I will likely get connecting staterooms for my family of 5 and have my sister share with my oldest daughter.

IMO, the difference is with a hotel, etc... food is generally not included in the price of the room.

I do think a single person paying more, 150% or so, is fair. But the single person just wont use all the of amenities that 2 people will.

We are running into this problem with a cruise with my family we are planning. I have one sister who is single and unattached. She would prefer her own room but for her to pay nearly the same price as my father and his girlfriend seems crazy to me. If my sister can't find a friend to come with us, I will likely get connecting staterooms for my family of 5 and have my sister share with my oldest daughter.

I agree, you aren't using double the resources/services, 150% is enough of a surcharge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter