• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Correcting What People Say

I have a friend who would always mispronounce Yosemite. One day I finally told him. He was horrified...not because I corrected him but because he had gone all those years speaking to people, in his business and personal life, and not one person ever said anything. So there is that. I would feel the same way.

I'll also tell you if you have spinach in your teeth, lol.

Never in that sense.

But I do do something that is a very annoying part of my personality and I wish I could stop. If someone says something that is opposite to what they said in an earlier moment/conversation I go absolutely bat **** crazy inside and often point it out. Like it's the worst thing a person could do.popcorn:: I have too good of a memory, when sometimes the person speaking probably forgot that they said something completely different in the past. Or changed their mind for that matter. I'm often the only one who remembers or cares. :surfweb:

This is super off-topic, but were/are you a member on another Disney chat website? (Not sure if I'm allowed to say another website's name on the DISboards)

I recognize the right side picture in your sig. There was another really nice member on that site who had the same picture as their profile pic. That member hasn't posted on the other site for a long time, and I was always curious to find out what happened to her! :)

Silently, yes. Out loud, usually not.

But I do have a very bad habit of finishing people's sentences - like if they pause even slightly, I will fill in the rest by guessing what they were trying to say. I try very hard to watch that, but it is hard for me to stop. I feel like I am trying to be helpful, but I can tell that it is annoying to some people. I never mean it in a bad way, though, and I do recognize that it is rude!

Never, unless it is work related & it needs to be concise & clear.

It is rude, impolite & a breach of etiquette.

I so totally agree.
I come from a bilingual city, and growing up so many were afraid to speak the other language due to others laughing or mocking.. I was always taught to just go with it, and my family didn't laugh, and neither did my friends.

Little errors don't bother me in person, or reading them on the boards.. I tend to think its a typo, or the person speaks multiple languages, and perhaps is just mixing them up.. It happens very frequently in French and English, and languages to me = the more you know the more educated you are..

My 16 year old is now in Europe and able to communicate fluently in Paris and Berlin, as well as her mother tongue English..

I have a coworker who says "irregardless" daily. I have never corrected her because I worry that would be rude;'but believe me I think about saying something every time I hear it.

I disagree I will never correct but most of the time do to my disability the right word will get stuck and I can't say it but I have the vocabulary so I love the help

I can think of scenarios where I'd take great pleasure in correcting someone. For the most part though, I don't find it necessary.
ME TOO!!
However it does drive me crazy! If they misuse a word such as "mute point" instead of "moot point", I try to use the word correctly in replying to them so that maybe they get the drift. The only thing is, I then realize that they think I am misusing the word or phrase! That makes me even crazier but, I usually show restraint unless it becomes too much and then I need to correct.

I usually just let it go, unless it'll prove their point (rather than argue it). And even then, ehh, I'm usually too lazy, lol. If it's something we all know what they meant to say, then it doesn't really need correcting anyway.

You mean like when my MIL says "targets" or "both of youse" no but I want to I just don't because there is no point

It depends on if I think everyone else also knew what they meant.

At work the other day someone said T sub D (because we had been talking about another term that is written with a subscript like this) instead of TBD. He didn't realize he did it but half the room had this confused look on their face like they thought there was some new measurement they weren't aware of. So in those cases I will.

Most of the time though its not worth it. Well except when people at work call me by my coworkers name. That one bugs me. They apparently think myself and another girl in the office are the same person (who BTW does a stellar amount of work if they were one person) that one I will correct (although will be honest a few times when they tried to assign her all my actions from a meeting I was tempted to keep my mouth shut)

Pet Peeves:

Disneyland when they mean WDW.

Excape instead of Escape

Expresso instead of Expresso.

All corrected silently :)

I did one time to a co-worker who was constantly saying "irregardless." I couldn't take it anymore and I just blurted it out. THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS IRREGARDLESS!!!!! Lol.....I'm pretty sure he never says that again.

I don't correct anyone other than my children and occasionally dh.

I do feel embarrassed when people correct me, and usually they are mistaken when they do so, but I don't point that out to them. An example of this is a friend that always corrects me when I pronounce lupine (the flower). I pronounce it loo-pin (short I), she always corrects me and says loo-pine (long I). The flower name can be pronounced either as I do or as loo-peen (less common), but definitely not loo-pine, even though it looks like it should due to its spelling. That refers to a different definition of the word- an adjective meaning wolf-like or savage.

I did one time to a co-worker who was constantly saying "irregardless." I couldn't take it anymore and I just blurted it out. THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS IRREGARDLESS!!!!! Lol.....I'm pretty sure he never says that again.

Actually, it is a word and has been around for quite some time. It is, however, considered a nonstandard colloquialism.

Yeah, I sometimes correct people.

I probably do it more than I should. Often, it'll just happen and then I'll follow it up with an apology and an admission that I knew what they meant.

I have a coworker who says "irregardless" daily. I have never corrected her because I worry that would be rude;'but believe me I think about saying something every time I hear it.

My DH and I fell into a bad habit of using this word.
We had an agreement to correct each other until we broke each other of the habit.
I can say we were successful :thumbsup2

You mean like when my MIL says "targets" or "both of youse" no but I want to I just don't because there is no point

LOL She must be from Chicago? "Youse" is used all the time around here! Drives me nuts.

cute story - I have a step-niece who is from Texas. She was about 8 years old when she moved to the Chicago area. We were in the car one time and she says:

NEICE: "I hate how everyone out here always says "Youse" when they mean a lot of people. "USE" means "I want to use this thing, or something like that".
ME: "I know! It's so weird, right??!!"
NEICE: "Yes! Everyone knows that you are supposed to say 'Ya'll"

LOL I laughed so hard...she was so cute and sincere about it!

I correct my kids constantly so that they will learn, and my SO all the time because he makes frequent slips (or is ignorant of what the actual word is) and has told me he WANTS me to. Anyone else, I grit my teeth and let it slide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter