Coronado Springs worth extra cost over POP??

PoeticMoe

Mouseketeer
My son and I really want to stay at a Moderate resort on our next visit to WDW, in particular, at Coronado Springs. I checked pricing for the Pop Century, and CSR is costing about $350 - $400 more than Pop. I'm trying to justify spending the extra money and wondering if it's worth it?

My plan is to spend some time at the resort, as I don't want to spend all our days at the parks, running around to different attractions. We're going to space the trip out and have some days at the parks, but also lots of time to relax at the pool at the resort. Which is why I thought CSR would be the better choice. Plus, it just looks nicer at CSR than Pop.

Keep in mind that this will be our first time ever staying onsite at Disney. My other option is to stay off-site at the Hilton Grand Vacation Clube on I-Drive. In looking at the pictures of CSR and POP, it appears to be much 'nicer' at the CSR, or any moderate resort for that matter. I don't want to get to Pop and be disappointed because the Pop is the type of hotel we're not used to staying at. Am I wrong??

For those that have stayed at CSR and Pop, or any moderate resort vs. the value resorts - do you think the moderates are worth the extra cost over staying at the value resorts? I'm driving myself nuts here! :confused3

I plan to make my reservation later today, as soon at the reservation systems at Disney are up and running again. Please help! :goodvibes

I have stayed at both and prefer CSR. If you have the extra money for it I say go for it. While I would stay at pop again my DH will not. He could not relax there, he did not enjoy the pool, it always seemed more crowded and there are no shaded areas by the pool to just sit, relax, and read a book.
He also hated the buses they were always crowded and the bus stops far from the park entrances. He made a complaint at the hotel desk for something and the CM's just did not seem to care at all. I dont think we will ever go back to another value unless I travel solo.

Each person will have a dif. response because while my DH and I went on the same trip we both had very different views and while I like CSR much better I did not hate pop like he does.

If you plan to relax at the resort CSR is wonderful!

I say YES!!! We just got back from our first stay at CSR (usually we stay at POR, which we love) and we thought it was wonderful!!!! I loved the layout and the peaceful feel of the resort. I say go for it!

Our first trip to Disney was at CSR and we loved it. We debated about doing Pop too but the pros outweighed the cons and it was worth spending a few more bucks for the stay. We got to relax at the pools, my daughter loved the gift shop and the Pepper Market, we loved the beds. It was nice strolling my son around the resort and the covered bus stops were a blessing because it was hot and I had a hunk of a stroller that I had to haul on the bus LOL

It's peaceful there and a very relaxing resort. I've never been to a Value and I think we've been spoiled into staying Moderate or Deluxe from here on out. Our next trip is slated for CSR as well.

Good luck!

We have not stayed at the Value resorts. but we have stayed at all the Moderates and several of the Deluxe Resorts. CSR is by far our kids favorite! Something about the pool, bridge, hammocks, Pepper Market: they just love it!

Mrs. Ambassador and I prefer WL ourselves.

How old is your son?

We love POP - it has been our Disney "home" for several trips. And not just because of money (altho' that's always a consideration with anything). But mostly because we love the theming. It's always been a FUN place to be for DGD and me.

Now that DGD is older, we have decided that as much as we love POP, it's time to try something new. The things that she always loved - the hippy dippy pool, arcade, ping pong, hair-braiding, etc. - are not as exciting to a teen.

So, we've booked CSR for our next trip. She's looking forward to a massage, the pools at night and a TS restaurant on property. And the atmosphere is more to her tastes since she's an almost-adult now.

I say if your son is young or a pre-teen, go with POP. There's plenty of fun things to do together (and the pool bar is nice too). ;)

Thanks so much for the replies! :goodvibes

As you can see from my signature, I went ahead and booked CSR for our Fall trip, and also took advantage of the free dining offer for 2011! Woo hoo - 2 positives in one reservation! :cool1: Now all I need is an awesome pin code to lower the room rate some -- but I'm good with the deal I got today!

Thanks so much again for the advice! :worship:

As you can see from my signature, I went ahead and booked CSR for our Fall trip, and also took advantage of the free dining offer for 2011! Woo hoo - 2 positives in one reservation! :cool1: Now all I need is an awesome pin code to lower the room rate some -- but I'm good with the deal I got today!

Congrats on booking!!!

Just a little thing I noticed in your post...you can not combine a PIN and free dining on the same reservation. You have to pay full rack-rate for your room in order to get "free" dining.

But, do the math if you get a pin. It may work out cheaper to pay for the dining plan or meals OOP if you get a good room rate.

Make sure you check out the Pop and CSR threads on this board - there are tons of pictures, reviews, and lots of pro/con type comments for each resort. My husband and I stayed at Pop last May and we are trying CSR in December. Pop was fine for our purposes (spending as much time as possible in the parks), but we are looking forward to a more relaxing visit this time and I think we'll have time to appreciate the grounds of CSR.

I'll say this much... One of the best things about Pop was the one stop bus rides. No multiple stops (unless you count water park stops). True, the buses were packed the the brim and the bus stops are practically the farthest from all the park gates, but knowing the next stop was yours made it worthwhile. We'll see how we feel about multiple stops during the CSR visit. From what I read/hear, CSR still has a very good bus system.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm generally in the camp that a mod is not worth the money. We spend a fair amount of time at the resort, but did not enjoy CSR $350 worth.

We had 1 night at the end of our vacation that I needed to book on cash (we have DVC). We had planned it to be a downtime day, so I didn't want to do a value. CSR has queen beds, so that made the decision for me and the rooms looked beautiful. Rooms are refurbed and very nice, although the bathrooms are very shabby and in need of an update. The hallways were dirty and rundown, as were the elevators. We were in the Casitas section.

The quiet pool near our building was nice and calm although very un-themed, generally rundown looking. My big problem w/ the mods is that they are HUGE (except for POFQ) and if you're there when it's hot, it's a brutal walk anywhere; filling up mugs is impractical. We didn't like the expense of Pepper Market, Ricks was nice though just not a huge selection. The rooms were a little bigger, but not that much.

Really, the only difference to me between value and mod is that the mod is a little more adult themed. I haven't had a long stay at Pop, just 2 1 night stays, but we LOVED it. It's fun for kids and grown-ups.

If the difference was maybe $100, I'd say go for the upgrade, but $350-$400 is A LOT of money. Not worth it to me, I'd save the money and go crazy on the souvenirs for my kids.

Congratulations on booking at the CSR.

It really comes down to a personal preference. We've stayed at a value once for three nights and transferred to the CSR because we couldn't stand the value and we've never looked back. We've now stayed at the CSR nine times and have nine near perfect stays. They've recently remodeled all the rooms (within the last year and a half), all buildings are currently being repainted on the outside, all elevators have been updated, etc. Be sure to check out the link in my signature for the "unofficial" CSR thread should you have any questions...lots of great people there willing to help.

I think you made a great choice. CSR is a wonderful resort.

I have stayed at all the values and all the moderates (some several times). I look at this way. When I can afford it, I do prefer the moderate and do pick that. I do think they are "worth" the extra price in that to me, you do get something for that extra money, namely lusher landscaping, nicer pools, more dining options, a bit of a larger room and a bathroom that has more storage and in all cases but CSR two sinks (but the long counter at CSR is wonderful and about worth giving up the sink). And CSR has the queen beds.

Now all that said, sometimes we need to save money and when we do, we happily stay at a value. We have had over ten value stays all total and each one has been wonderful. I know some people hate them and find themselves unable to relax and unwind, that has not been our experience. We spend quite a bit of our time at our resort regardless of what level we stay at so for us, we have been able to relax and enjoy the values. We stayed at Music for ten nights last month and had a great time.

But for sure, when money isn't a concern we go with the moderate. I love them all and actually would rather stay at any of them over a deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter