Coronado Springs versus Port Orleans

WendyLovesPeter

I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!
My kids age 4 & 8

the other kids age 16 & 20

comments or opinions please - thanx :goodvibes

We have only stayed CSR (POR does not appeal to us theme wise). Our kids loved the CSR when they used to travel with us (they are now in college and don't travel with us anymore). They loved the main pool and arcade and playground when small. When they were older, they still loved the pool and arcade, and also the volleyball court and the hot tub. They also enjoyed renting the bikes and the oldest one took his younger brother out on one of the boats. It is our favorite resort at Disney.

I've stayed at CSR, POR, and POFQ. Out of the three of them, I'd highly recommend POFQ. The pool has a wonderful serpent slide, and it's fairly small compared to the other resorts. When we stayed at CSR, we found that it was waaaayyyy to big for us.

I've stayed at all three (although CSR only for a night). Of the three, POFQ is the most whimsical. The fantasy version of New Orleans theming appeals to kids as does the fact that the resort is filled with cartoony faux-Mardi Gras floats. The pool is neat and has more of a cartoonish theme.

POR and CSR are themed in a little more grown up way, POR because it's pretty gentile and CSR because it's a conventioner's resort. I stayed at POR (then still Dixie Landings) when I was 11 and enjoyed it a ton and was captivated by the theming of the Magnolia Bend section of the resort. Keep in mind I was a really weird kid, so most might be more bored by the antebellum style mansions.

A big point in favor of CSR is the pool which is one of the coolest out of any resort, moderate or not. both POs have a fun but small slide, while CSR has a long twisting turning slide with a Jaguar that spits at you. That with the giant Mayan pyramid and spitting statues would definitely be a blast for kids.

That's my two cents... hope it helped.

Okay, I guess I am going to be the odd ball here. I have stayed at all three and POFQ was my least favorite. I did like it, but I like CSR and POR more. To me, if you like CSR, then POR is what is going to compare most to that resort. It is big like CSR, it has a restaurant and good size food court. POFQ is smaller and has a small food court with no restaurant. CSR is very pretty at night and has great bus service. POR has a southern charm to it. My kids enjoyed fishing there and liked the pool. They also liked watching the mill around the main area. POR pool is not near the size of CSR. It does have a water slide too. I would show the kids the pictures of the resorts and make the decision from there.

I've stayed at POFQ and CSR, and visited POR. Given the ages of the kids you are bringing, I would say absolutely, positively you should choose CSR. It is bigger than POFQ, which the older kids will like b/c they can take walks and be more on their own. The pool at CSR is just awesome — my teenagers stayed in it for hours — and little kids will love it, too. The water slide is long and amazingly fun. The quiet pools in each resort area at CSR are so convenient if you just want a quick swim to cool off. Your older kids won't like the POFQ pool at all — too small and babyish. Definitely pick CSR!

just my 2 cents. but i prefer POFQ. mearly for the size. CSR is huge, after walking around parks all day the last thing i want to do is walk to the pool or food court. i want it all to be very accesable. which it is at POFQ> i could care less of themes. what i care about id convenience. the boat to DD is very convenient.
all four moderate resorts have the exact same room size and lay out. so i always suggest to people print out all their site maps and really take a look at how much walking you may be doing.

I vote for POFQ because it has it's own bus stop at MK in the evening. Game, set, match POFQ.

I think the younger children would enjoy the pool at POFQ and the older CSR. Tough call. I think you can't go wrong with CSR and if you stay in the Cabana area there's s beach area with hammocks.

just my 2 cents. but i prefer POFQ. mearly for the size. CSR is huge, after walking around parks all day the last thing i want to do is walk to the pool or food court. i want it all to be very accesable. which it is at POFQ> i could care less of themes. what i care about id convenience. the boat to DD is very convenient.
all four moderate resorts have the exact same room size and lay out. so i always suggest to people print out all their site maps and really take a look at how much walking you may be doing.

Just wanted to add that CBR rooms are a little bigger than the other 3 mods, which are the same size. Also, CSR is the only mod that only has 1 sink. The others have 2 sinks. (in case any of that matters to you!)

If you are a guest of either PO resort, you can use all the amenities (pool, hot tub, etc.) of the other. Would give the older ones more territory to explore!

The boat to Downtown Dis is also nice, and the older ones could possibly go there alone.

Last but not least, PO resorts have family entertainment in their lounges, especially Bob @ riverside.

Not too familiar with CSR, so I can't offer anything there. Have a great trip and happy planning :banana:

Just wanted to add that CBR rooms are a little bigger than the other 3 mods, which are the same size. Also, CSR is the only mod that only has 1 sink. The others have 2 sinks. (in case any of that matters yo you!)

If you are a guest of either PO resort, you can use all the amenities (pool, hot tub, etc.) of the other. Would give the older ones more territory to explore!

The boat to Downtown Dis is also nice, and the older ones could possibly go there alone.

Last but not least, PO resorts have family entertainment in their lounges, especially Bob @ riverside.

Not too familiar with CSR, so I can't offer anything there. Have a great trip and happy planning :banana:

We love CSR - the pool is great and the food court has a much better variety than POFQ. We've never had a problem with the bus transportation - always very timely and we've rarely had to stand. My older son (5 last year) loves the pool and slide and there's a nice playground nearby, too.

The resort is large, but I think it makes it feel more luxurious and spacious. POFQ felt closed-in to me and I thought the food court was too small for the number of guests there. CSR is gorgeous!

Just wanted to add that CBR rooms are a little bigger than the other 3 mods, which are the same size. Also, CSR is the only mod that only has 1 sink. The others have 2 sinks. (in case any of that matters yo you!)

you know i hear this all the time that CBR has larger rooms, but if i cant find confirmation of that anywhere. everything i have read says that all the rooms are the same size. 315 sq. maybe they have less in the room, idk?

But CBR has no elevators.

As one of the PP's said you can use the pool at either PO resorts and that includes the quiet pools at POR. The boat to DTD is very relaxing. POR has Bob the Entertainer, POFQ has Elliot Dyson at Scat Cats. CSR has Rix, a disco. None of your children could go to Rix, but they could all go to either of the shows at PO.

CSR is a convention resort, POFQ is not.

I think the younger children would enjoy the pool at POFQ and the older CSR. Tough call. I think you can't go wrong with CSR and if you stay in the Cabana area there's s beach area with hammocks.
[/I

I so totally agree with you. I loved POFQ when my kids were little but as they became teens they much more liked CSR...

This is a hard one....Think you have to look at if teens will be totally bored with resort.... if not.. choose POFQ for little ones. Easier to get around and not immense amount of walking..
If your younger ones are extremely active all day and require little sleep, do CSR....

either way ,,2 nice moderate resorts

you know i hear this all the time that CBR has larger rooms, but if i cant find confirmation of that anywhere. everything i have read says that all the rooms are the same size. 315 sq. maybe they have less in the room, idk?

I've seen it mentioned on the Disboards many times, but just to make sure I went to Allears.net and under the fact sheets it shows the rooms at CBR ro be 340 sq. ft. as opposed to 314 sq. ft. I don't really know if that's a sizable difference, but maybe others can tell us if it's a noticeable amount!

I've seen it mentioned on the Disboards many times, but just to make sure I went to Allears.net and under the fact sheets it shows the rooms at CBR ro be 340 sq. ft. as opposed to 314 sq. ft. I don't really know if that's a sizable difference, but maybe others can tell us if it's a noticeable amount!

ahh..i see that now. DIS qoutes it as having the same 314 feet.

CSR!! Better pool, transportation and food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

t7ok7p.jpg

I've stayed at POFQ, CBR, and CSR. Hands down I prefer POFQ. Saying that, we are staying at PORS for the first time in Sept and that may be my favorite after we return.:rotfl: POFQ is Disney's smallest resort, has the whimsical serpent/King Neptune slide, and plus the boat to DTD. Because it is so small and the first bus stop we've always gotten a seat going to the parks. Because it is so small, no room is very far from the bus stop or main building. It is definitely the quietest and most friendly resort we've ever stayed in. The CMs there are wonderful. They'll give you mardi gras beads when you walk in the gift shop. POFQ won my heart several years ago. My mom had eaten something at AK that didn't agree with her and was ill. However, she is a diabetic and MUST eat three meals/day. I went down to food court to see if I could find her something and while looking at their soups, a CM asked if she could help me. I told her what was going on and she immediately shooed me away from the soups, told me that unfortunately everything they had would be too spicy, handed me some saltine crackers, and then she asked me for my room number and told me to go back to my room and she'd see what she could come up with. I expected a phone call, but about 30-40 minutes later there was a knock on our door and that same CM walked in. Not only did she have a big bowl of chicken noodle soup for my mom, but she had a hamburger and a rice crispy treat for me. She had apparently sent someone over to PORS for it and then hand delivered it herself. She absolutely refused to even consider a tip or to even let me pay for it. She took her time and stayed a few minutes to see if there was anything else we needed or if she could help in any way. A few days later my mom and I were in the food court and that CM recognized me, came over, put her arm around my mom, and asked her if she was feeling better. I had missed her name the night my mom was sick, but looked at her name tag this time, and made a point of going to the front desk to ask for a manager to ask that something be put in her file.

At CSR on the other hand, we had a very bad stay. CMs were just not friendly. We almost got ran over by one of those carts that race around the resort. We literally had to jump off the side of the sidewalk and both fell to our knees. The CM did come back and ask if we were OK, though, before he raced off again.:sad2: We also had a bad experience one night at one of the quiet pools, when a bunch of drunk conventioneers started hitting on a couple of young twenty something girls. It got really scary, we had to leave, and round up walking the two girls back to their room, with one of the drunks following and harrassing us. Once we got in the girls room, we called security. A little while later, when we walked past the pool again on the way back to our room, the same drunks were sitting beside the pool, still drinking, and started harassing us again. Apparently security had just told them to get out of the pool, but not to leave it. Now saying all of that, I have to admit we did like the food court at CSR better than POFQ and CSR has had the best bus service of any of the WDW resorts we've stayed at (including the values and deluxes, as well as moderates). The resort it itself is very pretty if you get in the Casitas section. We wandered around and really did not like the Ranchos though. The Cabanas were OK. We just did not like CSR, but have to admit I do prefer it over CBR. The buses at CBR were just awful, as was the food court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter