• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronado Springs Resort review

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
Just got back from our trip to CSR. I have very few negatives things to say and many positives! :flower1:

Bus Service- Spot on! Only once did we have to wait over 10 minutes for a bus and that was at the Magic Kingdom and the approximate wait was 15 minutes! One reason for this I think may be is that they do not share with any other resort. (Note- we used bus stop #3. Always had a place to sit. Bus stop #2 and 3 usually did. Not so for bus stops #1 and 4.) Would not stay in Cabanas for this very reason.

Maid- no complaints there

Customer Service- was really good, everyone was great, but I will say when I went to pay on our room
charges with my multiple gift cards, she was like, oh you have many of them.:D

Pool- was great, even though we only used it one day. Not crowded. Great slide, and the hot tub was awesome!

Room location- got what we asked for, but not sure I will just settle with what they give me next time.
But to give you a positive on this, I lost 5lbs going this week walking around so much! Hmmm, maybe next time I will take what they give me!:rolleyes: The ranchos was so beautifully decorated! Just loved the theme.

Pepper Market- ugghh. :worried: This is the only thing I didn't care for. Didn't really like much of what I ate and the set up was less than to be desired. Breakfast, the waffles and pastries were ok, but thats pretty much it.

I would stay here again in a heart beat. If there was no where else available I wanted to stay at. I like trying different resorts if I can. It was great and a beautiful place!

Questions?

I will be there two weeks from today, for the first time. Can you explain the issue with Cabanas and the bus stop? I'm not sure I know the numbered bus stops.

Also, we plan on doing most breakfasts at Pepper Market. Are there egg options?

I have a lot of gift cards too. Can I "pre-load them" at check in, or do you recommend handling them a different way?

Thank you so very much for sharing!

There is always confusion on the bus stop numbers! From Buzz's CSR website (google it for lots of info) Bus stop #2 is by the Casitas, and is the first pick up for the theme park buses, then stop #3 by the Ranchos, stop #4 for Cabanas, and #1 is by El Centro and the last pick up for the parks.

I never ate breakfast at the Pepper Market, but had a decent soup and salad combo on our arrival day.

I went to apply my gift cards to my account charges fairly late at night when they weren't busy and I had no attitude from the CM. I was not able to pre-load them.

When I booked, I selected the river or pool view. Can you request one or the other? Or do they just stick you in the next open room?

Thanks! And thanks for the review!

Is the pasta bar back, or is that station still gone at the Pepper Market? How was the rest of the selection for lunch/dinner?

Did you eat anywhere else at the resort...? If so, how was that?

Right, the Cabanas had the #4 bus stop so the next to last to be picked up. On the Magic Kingdom days, those buses were very crowded. First to get picked up were the Casitas bus stop #2, second were the Ranchos bus stop #3, third was the Cabanas, bus stop #4 and last were at the front of the hotel, bus stop #1. Crazy the numbers and stops don't go quite together.

Eggs-don't know if they were any real ones on the property.:rolleyes1

Gift cards- I didn't try to pre-load them. Just put them down once I had a balance. But ya, they would rather you have one $500 one verses ten $50 ones.

I booked a standard room, ask for ground floor, ranchos section and got exactly what I ask for with the exception of a courtyard view. Got a parking lot view. If we had been staying there more than just 5 nights I would have ask to be moved the next morning because the courtyards are just so beautiful in the Ranchos section. But hey, I lost 5 lbs. I suppose if you want a pool view room you can request it.

Did'nt notice a pasta bar, but I didn't look real hard. The one thing I did like was the create your own pizza. It was very tasty to me. Pastries were ok. My husband and daughter both tried a rice krispy treat dipped in chocolate and both said the chocolate was awful tasting. Cheap chocolate they said. Disney should be using the good chocolate. Waffles were good. My husband's egg, biscuit and gravy plate was the worst that he said he ever ate. My hamburger had no flavor and the fries sucked. Go to Art of Animation and get a great burger with fabulous tasting fries!!!!!!!

They had some Krispy Kreme doughnuts at the Cafe Rix I think. Dining there was the worst part of the place. Other than that, its a great hotel.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Coronado Springs is lovely. We will be staying this weekend and are super excited :) We have not eaten there in a while so we are considering eating at Maya Grill during our stay.

OP - 100% agree on your sentiments about CSR! We had the exact same experience. Loved the buses, housekeeping and the main pool but absolutely hated Pepper Market. Because we eat resort QS fairly frequently, this is the main reason we are in no rush to return to CSR. With it being operated by a third party vendor, the food is made to order which really held up the lines and food quality/taste varied depending on who was cooking. Pizza, which is usually a safe bet, was also very different than typical "WDW" pizza and we didn't care for it, and our last gripe was that they opened at 7am rather than 6am which was not conducive to making AM EMH.

There is always confusion on the bus stop numbers! From Buzz's CSR website (google it for lots of info) Bus stop #2 is by the Casitas, and is the first pick up for the theme park buses, then stop #3 by the Ranchos, stop #4 for Cabanas, and #1 is by El Centro and the last pick up for the parks.

This is correct. We were in Cabanans so we were closest to bus stop 1 (last pick up) and found that we frequently had to stand when utilizing this bus stop. We often would make the trek over to Casitas bus stop 2 (first pick up) because of this. Casitas was also fairly convenient if coming from Cafe Rix/Pepper Market.

Great review - we're also fans of CSR. We stayed there in 2012 and again last summer (2014) and were totally bummed about the change to Pepper Market. It wasn't exactly phenomenal before, but it was a buffet that counted as a Quick Service credit, and an excellent value on the dining plan, particularly for breakfast.

We will eat breakfast at the resort almost every morning. We only have one early park morning, so the others, maybe we will try the poolside breakfast is the weather permits.
Gift cards- I didn't try to pre-load them. Just put them down once I had a balance. But ya, they would rather you have one $500 one verses ten $50 ones.

I have a ton of $50 gift cards, between Target and Sam's Club...oh well. It saves me $70-$80 per $1500 spent. Used these to pay for my room already. Hope I find a kind and patient CM at the front desk! :worship:

We will eat breakfast at the resort almost every morning. We only have one early park morning, so the others, maybe we will try the poolside breakfast is the weather permits.

I have a ton of $50 gift cards, between Target and Sam's Club...oh well. It saves me $70-$80 per $1500 spent. Used these to pay for my room already. Hope I find a kind and patient CM at the front desk! :worship:
can you get discounts when buying girft cards there?
What is the benefit of gift cards besides not having to pay all the money up front?

Just got back from our trip to CSR. I have very few negatives things to say and many positives! :flower1:

Bus Service- Spot on! Only once did we have to wait over 10 minutes for a bus and that was at the Magic Kingdom and the approximate wait was 15 minutes! One reason for this I think may be is that they do not share with any other resort. (Note- we used bus stop #3. Always had a place to sit. Bus stop #2 and 3 usually did. Not so for bus stops #1 and 4.) Would not stay in Cabanas for this very reason.

Maid- no complaints there

Customer Service- was really good, everyone was great, but I will say when I went to pay on our room
charges with my multiple gift cards, she was like, oh you have many of them.:D

Pool- was great, even though we only used it one day. Not crowded. Great slide, and the hot tub was awesome!

Room location- got what we asked for, but not sure I will just settle with what they give me next time.
But to give you a positive on this, I lost 5lbs going this week walking around so much! Hmmm, maybe next time I will take what they give me!:rolleyes: The ranchos was so beautifully decorated! Just loved the theme.

Pepper Market- ugghh. :worried: This is the only thing I didn't care for. Didn't really like much of what I ate and the set up was less than to be desired. Breakfast, the waffles and pastries were ok, but thats pretty much it.

I would stay here again in a heart beat. If there was no where else available I wanted to stay at. I like trying different resorts if I can. It was great and a beautiful place!

Questions?

If we get the ranchos section, are there any areas to fill your water or grab coffee?

Where are all the quick service food areas around CSR, only in el centre?

Disney needs to have a way in which to combine multiple gift cards. The one and only way that I know of is to deposit them all into their vacation account and then ask for a refund and state that you no longer have any of those gift cards. Then they will mail you just one gift card. I think this might be correct??????? Or not?

Disney needs to have a way in which to combine multiple gift cards. The one and only way that I know of is to deposit them all into their vacation account and then ask for a refund and state that you no longer have any of those gift cards. Then they will mail you just one gift card. I think this might be correct??????? Or not?
They do. If you sign up for a Disney Vacation Savings account you can load up all your gift cards in one place.

https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/

If we get the ranchos section, are there any areas to fill your water or grab coffee?

Where are all the quick service food areas around CSR, only in el centre?

QS food areas are at the Dig Site (pool, limited hours) and Cafe Rix and Pepper Market, both in El Centro. To my knowledge, these are the only places you can fill your mugs. There's also a coffee maker in your room.

Ok so Ranchos buildings aren't that far from food then considering the pool bar is open early.

That was the big problem I had with CBR and why we were scared away from the large moderates before. At CBR, there was only one area to get food and beverages. The pool bar was right next to the main building so that didn't help the people who's rooms were on the other side of the resort.

I believe they redid the Pepper Market and its no longer there

Was there last year and, unfortunately, like the OP mentioned, Pepper Market is still there...but in very poor shape. From other posters, it appears they have tried to update it, but still not on par with any of the other modereate resorts; or POP for that matter even. Food lacks variety and is overall on the greasy side. I would stay there again, possibly, but would depend on man factors. I used to trumpet CSR after I first stayed there...until I went with my parents who insisted on staying at CBR last year...now am pretty much of a convert; especially now that CBR is in the process of being remodeled and the new rooms have 2 queen beds and a murphy bed.

It really is the little things, and appears CSR is relying on the conventioneers to not care about the food quality at the PM.

But yes, on the positive side, the bus service to/from CSR is probably the best of all the moderates, just not sure waiting 5 minutes less for a bus is worth the extra time I have to spend finding good food to eat at the other resorts.

Ok so Ranchos buildings aren't that far from food then considering the pool bar is open early.

That was the big problem I had with CBR and why we were scared away from the large moderates before. At CBR, there was only one area to get food and beverages. The pool bar was right next to the main building so that didn't help the people who's rooms were on the other side of the resort.
True, but that's how they keep the rest of the resort relatively quiet is by not having the food and bar in other places. I ended up liking the walk to the food court at CBR as it really wasn't that far away, but understand when there are other things to do it can seem it's farther away. Same with CSR.

Have to agree with the points made by the OP. We just checked out of CSR today.

We stayed in BC and had all of our breakfasts in the lounge there. We also used it a few times for appetizers and predinner drinks, and almost every night for a late evening drink and snack. We did not like the food offerings in the Pepper Mill on the 3 occasions that we ate there, but what we did have was decently prepared. I think the menu is the worst of any of the resorts we've stayed at. And there is no pasta bar.

Bus service was fine. I only had to wait for a second bus twice (I use a wheelchair), and they came quickly after the first ones departed. CMs were universally friendly, helpful and competent. Mousekeeping was excellent. The grounds are certainly well cared for. Our room was in need of work. At least the furniture needs all the scratches and wear marks touched up. But we found the beds very comfortable.

But CSR still remains my least favorite mod resort. I would only stay there again if I was in a BC room, to avoid the walking distances required if staying in any of the other buildings. And unfortunately, if you aren't a fan of Southwest theming (I'm not), there's nothing you can do about that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter