Coronado Springs overbooked-What now?

Deerguidedad

Earning My Ears
So I have looked at this site for several years, but this is my first post.

We have booked a stay a few weeks ago at CSR for 2/13/15 thru 2/16/15 with a PIN discount code for a short Disney trip prior to our Dream cruise starting on 2/16/15.

I received a call from Disney reservations yesterday while I was in a meeting at work and was told that CSR is overbooked for the dates of our stay and that Disney is wanting to move us to POR for these dates. I told the cast member that I was in a meeting and would have to call her back. My guess is that they have a large convention coming in and are having to clear some more space for the conventioneers?

We have stayed at POR a couple of times and like it and we have stayed at CSR once and found it to be nice, but vey spread out. We had specifically booked this time at CSR because our DD (age 11) is doing a project at school on Mexico and figured it would give her some insight to that architecture and culture.

I need to call reservations back and see what they intend to do. For those of you that have had this happen before, what did Disney do for you? Will I be able to get them to do anything for us to accommodate us as a result of the move?

We don't expect them to offer a stay at Cinderella's Castle and will work with them to help them out, but what do you think they will be willing to do to make it happen?

I am hopeful for either a bump up to a Deluxe resort or do you think I could get them to allow us to move to POR and for them to give us additional FP+ for the two days in the parks on our magic bands?

So I have looked at this site for several years, but this is my first post.

We have booked a stay a few weeks ago at CSR for 2/13/15 thru 2/16/15 with a PIN discount code for a short Disney trip prior to our Dream cruise starting on 2/16/15.

I received a call from Disney reservations yesterday while I was in a meeting at work and was told that CSR is overbooked for the dates of our stay and that Disney is wanting to move us to POR for these dates. I told the cast member that I was in a meeting and would have to call her back. My guess is that they have a large convention coming in and are having to clear some more space for the conventioneers?

We have stayed at POR a couple of times and like it and we have stayed at CSR once and found it to be nice, but vey spread out. We had specifically booked this time at CSR because our DD (age 11) is doing a project at school on Mexico and figured it would give her some insight to that architecture and culture.

I need to call reservations back and see what they intend to do. For those of you that have had this happen before, what did Disney do for you? Will I be able to get them to do anything for us to accommodate us as a result of the move?

We don't expect them to offer a stay at Cinderella's Castle and will work with them to help them out, but what do you think they will be willing to do to make it happen?

I am hopeful for either a bump up to a Deluxe resort or do you think I could get them to allow us to move to POR and for them to give us additional FP+ for the two days in the parks on our magic bands?

I think they have already made you an offer to move you from one Moderate to another so I'm not really sure what else you think they should do for you? I wouldn't expect them to "compensate" you for anything so if you call them back with that attitude and happen to get some pixie dust then you'll be pleasantly surprised but don't get your hopes up. Also, if you're daughter is looking for insight on Mexico for a school project I would take her to the Mexico pavilion at Epcot - not look for inspiration at a themed hotel resort. JMHO

Honestly, I think they're doing enough by offering to move you to POR. I don't see why they should offer you additional FPs as well.

I think you are justified to expect a little compensation. Disney overbooked, it was THEIR mistake, not yours, so they should make it right. I don't think they are in the clear by just moving you to any other moderate. Thats not the hotel you wanted, not the hotel you chose, not the hotel you BOOKED. Disney booked you in CSR. In my eyes, thats a form of a contract. A contract they are breaching. I would definitely ask for a deluxe or extra fast passes. Those are both reasonable requests to make up for the inconvenience that Disney is causing. Disney works for you. You are the customer. I would be very polite, but also firm and confident. Good luck!

I think you are justified to expect a little compensation. Disney overbooked, it was THEIR mistake, not yours, so they should make it right. I don't think they are in the clear by just moving you to any other moderate. Thats not the hotel you wanted, not the hotel you chose, not the hotel you BOOKED. Disney booked you in CSR. In my eyes, thats a form of a contract. A contract they are breaching. I would definitely ask for a deluxe or extra fast passes. Those are both reasonable requests to make up for the inconvenience that Disney is causing. Disney works for you. You are the customer. I would be very polite, but also firm and confident. Good luck!

I agree. It was their mistake. They should offer *something* extra considering POR does not have all the amenities that CSR does (fitness room, spa, etc) and I would certainly politely say that. If they don't want to offer more, I would stick to CSR. They can offer POR to someone else.

I am booked there for the last weekend in February and if they were to do this to me I would be pissed! No way in the world would I settle for POR, as I have already stayed there and at CBR. I would most definitely want a upgrade to a deluxe resort! This was their mistake!

Yet, if you read the terms and conditions of your reservation, the only guarantee is A room on-site. Bedding configuration, booking category, even resort - all subject to change. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

The OP has several choices, among them:
Accept the move
Request a different resort in the same category
Refuse the move (it's happened)

In my eyes, and given the terms and conditions, expecting an upgrade is inappropriate. FastPasses, maybe.

All Disney guarantees is you will get a room. The resort itself is subject to change based on availability. That is in the contract and what is binding.

I think they should offer you a little extra for doing this to you. I don't care what the fine print says they should do something. I would ask about an additional discount or moving to a higher level resort. You don't lose anything by asking and can make a decision based on what they say.

Just because they are within their rights to move you certainly doesn't mean you can't speak up and say you're disappointed; I know I would because I didn't like POR. Nobody can say for sure what their response will be but if you say nothing because they are technically not breaking the contract then you'll never know what might have happened. Good luck!

All Disney guarantees is you will get a room. The resort itself is subject to change based on availability. That is in the contract and what is binding.

This is sadly true. They can even downgrade from the room booked. I know of people booked in a preferred view that ended up in a standard view room, for example. That is rare, however, because Disney wants their guests to be happy. Usually you will get equivalent or slightly better accommodations when an issue like this arises.

OP, I would decide if I am willing to move to POR or not. They have offered/asked you to move. Perhaps you can refuse and stay where you are, if that is what you would prefer. If you are fine with moving but would prefer a different resort (such as CBR) perhaps you could ask if any other resorts would be available to you.

Good luck!

I would tell them you booked the resort because you wanted the fitness center and spa. Ask if they can get you into a resort with a fitness center and spa. That should score a deluxe resort upgrade. I would expect complimentary, or low cost upgrade.

Now, fitness center and spa is scheduled for closure due to refurbishment from May 18-June 19, 2015 anyway.

You have to let us know what happens :banana:

If you had a strong reason for preferring CSR to POR (and you do---the Mexico connection) I would just explain that to the representative and ask them to try to find someone else. Maybe they will counter by offering you something, maybe they won't, and maybe they will move you anyway, but I would not expect anything in particular. You should probably have in mind whether anything additional might change your mind, so that you don't have to hem and haw over any offer they might come up with.

The resort is huge, you are not the only person they can ask.

This is sadly true. They can even downgrade from the room booked. I know of people booked in a preferred view that ended up in a standard view room, for example. That is rare, however, because Disney wants their guests to be happy. Usually you will get equivalent or slightly better accommodations when an issue like this arises.

Not so rare. I've been downgraded like that twice. :(

OP--If you don't like POR there are 3 other moderates to chose from, CBR, POFQ, and the Wilderness Cabins. Either have one of those in mind, or tell them you had your heart set on CSR and don't want to move. I wouldn't expect an upgrade to deluxe.

I agree. It was their mistake. They should offer *something* extra considering POR does not have all the amenities that CSR does (fitness room, spa, etc) and I would certainly politely say that. If they don't want to offer more, I would stick to CSR. They can offer POR to someone else.

:thumbsup2

Doug :goofy:

I would tell them you booked the resort because you wanted the fitness center and spa.

So you're saying that the OP should lie? He says he booked it for the Mexican theming, he didn't say anything about wanting a fitness center and spa. Nice. :rolleyes:

An update: I received a call a short while ago from someone in guest services. I asked her about the possibility of an upgrade to a Deluxe Resort or additional fast passes. I was pleasant but firm in my request and the cast member told me she was only authorized to move me over to some rooms they had set aside at POR. I asked her to elevate this to someone that had the authority to make that decision and she agreed to do so. She reminded me that according to the agreement, that I can keep my reservation for CSR, but there is no guarantee that when we check in, that we will still be at that resort.
She is supposed to get back to me within 48 hours and I suspect that they will not do any more than the original offer.

Maybe I am wrong, but I asked her about additional FP+ and that would be a good compromise because it helps us both out and the additional FP+ would be a way to compensate us at no expense to them.

Thanks for the comments and I will repost when I hear back from her.

Some of these post, Disney can do no wrong. Unreal. You deserve something more. If you got to check in and didn't have enough money to pay do you think that would go over to well with Disney. I think not. This shouldn't go over to well with anyone they are doing this to.

IMO, POR is a much nicer experience than CSR.. If you do decide to get bumped over to POR, try requesting the Royal Rooms with FP+ and that would even be a nice compromise :) shorter wait times + a little bit of an upgrade at a moderate resort. I'm sure Disney can do a little bit more for the inconvenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter