Coronado or PO french Quarter?

mouse12

Earning My Ears
I never stayed at the Coronado before. I have been to PO french quarter many times. Please help me choose which resort to stay at.
Thanks

I never stayed at the Coronado before. I have been to PO french quarter many times. Please help me choose which resort to stay at.
Thanks

I'd go for CSR since you've never stayed there and it's fun to try a new resort. CSR is very nice!

I just got back from a stay at CSR. We loved it. It has a totally different feel than POFQ. It is not small and quaint. It is large and spread out. There is no food court in the traditional sense of food court at CSR. Have you read the Official CSR thread on the DIS? There is alot of helpful info there that helped me with my trip at CSR.

We have been to both POFQ and CSR. We loved POFQ and I can say that CSR is a resort on the bottom of my list to revisit. But that said it was nice to try it once. We had a bad experience with a Convention. They took over the hotel and used our quite pool for their smoking zone and had banquets on the sidewalks and beach at the entrance of our buidling. The resort is very spread out and can be a long walk to refill a drink depending on where your room is. Liked the decor and the atmosphere. We did not enjoy the food court. I think we ate twice there. Bad service and waited for drinks long after having our food. We did learn later that day where the refill drink station was.

I don't really care for the theme at the PO resorts and for that reason we will probably never stay there, but there are lots of people who love PO. I really feel the CSR is the best Mod resort for what you get there. The grounds are as beautiful as any, the pool stacks up to any others, I personally feel they have the best selection of food of the Mods, and the most amenities of the mods. Very close to a deluxe resort from that stand point.

Now having said that, I do think conventions could play a factor in your stay. Most conventions are problably not even noticable, but there are probably a handful a year that are. As long as you don't hit those times you should be fine. We always go at Xmas time, so there aren't usually any conventions. We arrived this past Xmas on the 14th and there was a convention from 14th-18th and then nothing until after new years. I can honestly say I didn't notice the convention at all.

CSR is my favorite resort for my adult only and solo trips. Haven't tried it with my grandsons yet, but it appears they would have a good time. Wherever you decide to stay will be great!!!

I keep reading that the food court is confusing to people. Can anyone tell me about the food court?

I keep reading that the food court is confusing to people. Can anyone tell me about the food court?

The food court is a combination of food court and table service. The beverages are table service. The food is food court. There is a menu with prices that you can take with you, and it tells you which area to find the item you are looking for. You are given a ticket with squares when you enter the restaurant. As you ask for an item, the cm will stamp your card before giving you the item. You get your item. You eat. Then you pay as you exit, by handing the stamped card to the cm at the register. There is a 10% service charged added to your bill if you are not on the dining plan. If you are on the dining plan, you will need to leave your tip at the table.

It's not confusing at all. You get seated by a hostess, they give each person a blank order form, you go get your food, the person at the counter stamps your form, and you pay when you leave. Actually quite simple.

There have a ton of different stations, with numerous choices. Lots of desserts as well. I personally don't know what would be confusing.

We stayed at CSR as our first on site resort, and although we didn't HATE it, we will not return. IMO it's more appropriate for adults than kids, between the decor and food. The size of the grounds is too spread out for my liking, and if you are used to POFQ, you may notice a huge difference with that.

I'm glad I found this! I have stayed at POFQ but we are going to CSR for the first time this August and this is all very helpful! :thumbsup2

CSR and POFQ are my two favorite WDW resorts. We've always had the best bus service at CSR. They have the most comfortable queen size beds with pillow top mattresses. However, POFQ is in the midst of a rehab which should be completed by late April and they too will have queen size beds (although from recent posts their new beds don't seem to be as comfortable as the ones at CSR). CSR has the biggest hot tub on property and a longer, nicer, faster pool slide than POFQ. CSR has three quiet pools and a nicer main pool, whereas POFQ has only the one pool. We like the TS restaurant (Maya Grill) at CSR. POFQ doesn't have a TS restaurant. We also prefer the CS (Pepper Market) at CSR. They have lots of choices and we've never found it in the least confusing. It can be a little expensive though if you are not on the DDP. On the DDP it is a fantastic deal. We love the lovely fountains in the Casitas and the white sand beaches with hammocks in the Cabanas. CSR is alot bigger, but is so lovely to walk around at night. Don't know if you have any kids, but the playground at CSR is alot nicer than the one at POFQ. CSR has a health club and beauty salon that the other moderates do not have and a lounge that is adults only after certain hours. POFQ does have the boat to DTD though that we really miss.

This may not help you, but again POFQ and CSR are my two favorite resorts and each have their own pros. Even though my trip counter shows me staying at POFQ for my next two trips, that is only because of the current rehab and the fact that I haven't stayed there in a year or so (I've already stayed at CSR twice and at CBR once in the last year). Even though I love both resorts, if I were I'd go with CSR to just give it a try. OT: my favorite location is Cabanas 8A (less than 2 minutes to the main pool, about 2 minutes to the bus stop and less than 5 minutes to the main building).

Not too long ago I was in the same position you were in. We stayed at POFQ last year and LOVED it. This year we decided we would spread our wings and try something new. We tried CSR after much deliberation. I am glad we tried it but we will not return. There were just so many issues. We might've been jaded because POFQ was smaller and seemed to cater more to the needs of the guests, I don't know. But we were not able to utilize the refillable mugs because everything was so far away. Everyone raves about the bus service, but in our experience FQ busses were better. We did not care for the set up at Pepper Market, or the food really. However, the beds were in fact awesome.

I am glad we tried it because if we hadn't I would still be wondering what else is out there. Now I know that the larger resorts are not suited for my family

We've stayed at each of these resorts once. I wanted to love POFQ but I didn't. The decor was lovely and the kids liked the pool, but housekeeping was awful, which killed the resort for me. I also didn't care for the food court.

We loved CSR. The pool has a great slide and we had a lot of fun. The grounds are beautiful, especially at night. We had excellent, timely housekeeping. The rooms are bigger than POFQ and have a higher quality feel to them. I wasn't a fan of this food court, either, but we always have a car so the food court isn't that big a deal to me.

CSR is far more spread out than POFQ, but that is not something that matters to me in a resort. Having a car, we're not hiking to bus stops or the food courts. We've had longer walks from deluxe parking lots to the hotels than from the mods or values.

If we decide to stay moderate again, we'll go with CSR. We won't be returning to POFQ.

Coronado is my favorite Mod and POFQ is my least favorite so I would go with Coronado. I like the theme better, the Pepper Market, like the larger resort, and like that it has a health club. To me POFQ feels too much like a value because of how compact it is and the way the rooms are set up. I like values and stay there often but I wouldn't pay moderate price for a value.

This is just my preference and there are people who like POFQ for the exact same reason I don't. Really you can't go wrong in any of the resorts.

We have stayed at both resorts. Let me tell you about our experiences at both.

POFQ-likes theme, boat service to DTD, beautiful grounds, jazz at night, beignets, trivia in the gift shop, concierge service

needs improvement--double beds, needs bigger hot tub for the number of guests, quiet pools bus service can be inconsistent

CSR-likes--theme, pool, pool slide (yes I tried it and actually got my DH to go done once--shhhh!!) great for teens DS15 enjoyed himself, gameroom, pool bar and lunch type food, beds (consistently comfortable no matter the section of the resort, Cafe Rix, great gelato, superior giftshop, friendly bell service employees to stow your bags or make transfers, great concierge, check-in can be inconsistent, but this time superior (Giovanni) grounds, sunsets, excellent bus service

needs improvement--don't care for Mayan Grille, don't want to pay 10% tip at Pepper Market, better food at pool bar while seated, needs better enforced designated smoking areas (think this is true at all resorts though) it's just disgusting to smell when you are trying to eat outside and enjoy the flowers etc. really a turn-off especially when Cancer in the family and children are around who don't have a choice.

For us CSR:cool1: Enjoy your vacation whatever you choose!!

The rooms are bigger than POFQ and have a higher quality feel to them.

I agree that CSR rooms have a higher quality feel to them and we like the nice sliding wooden doors that separate the sink area from the bedroom area. However, the actual size of the rooms are exactly the same at 314 sq feet. The only moderate that has a slightly bigger room is CBR at 340 sq ft. CSR, POFQ, and PORS were built after CBR and all of their rooms are just a tad smaller at 314 sq ft.

I always say try something new. You never know what you'll like better until you try :)

Not too long ago I was in the same position you were in. We stayed at POFQ last year and LOVED it. This year we decided we would spread our wings and try something new. We tried CSR after much deliberation. I am glad we tried it but we will not return. There were just so many issues. We might've been jaded because POFQ was smaller and seemed to cater more to the needs of the guests, I don't know. But we were not able to utilize the refillable mugs because everything was so far away. Everyone raves about the bus service, but in our experience FQ busses were better. We did not care for the set up at Pepper Market, or the food really. However, the beds were in fact awesome.

I am glad we tried it because if we hadn't I would still be wondering what else is out there. Now I know that the larger resorts are not suited for my family

We booked a last minute trips, received an odd super rate so decided to break our norm and give it a go.....awful resort....as stated above, resort mugs are a waste if your room is at the wrong end, same goes for the pool....we walk enough in the parks and don't want a resort you have to traipse across to get a drink or take a dip.....same for the buses...longest waits we ever encountered and had to cross thru the parking lot to get to the depot.....other rag on the queen beds....those are not a deal maker for us and the food situation was not to our liking plus all the conventioners clogging up the lounge and Pepper Market......others can have it..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter