Coronado-Cheer and Dance teams

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Just found out Coronado is the host moderate resort for both cheer and dance competitions during our stay. Debating switching resorts. I think we'd only overlap maybe 2 days out of our 6 days but still makes me a little nervous that it will not be the relaxing resort experience we were hoping for. We could move to Riverside for a little more money. We've stayed there before and wanted something new but maybe during cheer/dance comps that is not the time to be at Coronado. Have you ever stayed at a host resort for a big cheer/dance comp? stay or switch?

If it were us, we'd move to Riverside. We've been there during cheer competitions, and it can get loud. They're kids and they're not doing anything wrong - they just are young, competitive, having fun, and can get very loud at times! If you're looking for relaxation, Riverside could be a better bet. Coronado, and the buses to/from Coronado, could be a little crazy at times that week!

If it were us, we'd move to Riverside. We've been there during cheer competitions, and it can get loud. They're kids and they're not doing anything wrong - they just are young, competitive, having fun, and can get very loud at times! If you're looking for relaxation, Riverside could be a better bet. Coronado, and the buses to/from Coronado, could be a little crazy at times that week!
Thank you! I think we will be moving to Riverside. I like the looks of the main pool and grounds at Coronado but I just would prefer a quieter environment. We have stayed at Caribbean Beach with cheerleaders and like you said, it can get a little chaotic and loud

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Riverside resorts have been used in the past as overflow, for those that are a part of the competitions but unable to book at CSR/All Star resorts. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Your absolute safest bet would be any of the deluxe resorts. It just depends on how much you value your sleep and relaxation on vacation. Personally, I’d rather pay for a deluxe resort and enjoy my time on property. Sleep is a valuable thing on a Disney vacation.

There are those that will comment and say that the cheer groups are quiet and not disruptive… but I disagree. Maybe I just have sensitive ears.

There are those that will comment and say that the cheer groups are quiet and not disruptive… but I disagree. Maybe I just have sensitive ears.
No, they're definitely disruptive at times. Most of the time, it's not intentional - it's just kids being kids, but in very large groups who specialize in high energy and spirit! The whole idea of the cheer squads is to be noticed! Many succeed!!

Reactions: Kae
Just found out Coronado is the host moderate resort for both cheer and dance competitions during our stay. Debating switching resorts. I think we'd only overlap maybe 2 days out of our 6 days but still makes me a little nervous that it will not be the relaxing resort experience we were hoping for. We could move to Riverside for a little more money. We've stayed there before and wanted something new but maybe during cheer/dance comps that is not the time to be at Coronado. Have you ever stayed at a host resort for a big cheer/dance comp? stay or switch?
When are you going? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thx! ☺

When we stayed at All Star sports it was the team parents that were annoying. During March Madness the moved all the tv's from the rooms outside on the walk ways at night. Kids were just kids and pretty good

@firstwdw I'll start out saying I love kids, and I think it's great they get to travel and experience an opportunity like this. I traveled when I was younger and cherieshed those memories. That said, I'd totally move. Kids are kids, nothing wrong at all but for the amount of money I'd be spending on a Disney vacation I don't want to deal with the kids being kids.

When are you going? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thx! ☺
April 16-23. Cheer and Dance Worlds start April 23rd but teams will start arriving before then. I googled it! LOL. There is also Summit Cheer which is last part of April into May .......I think..... And Coronado is moderate level host resort and All Star Movies is the value.
I moved us to Riverside. We wanted something new but after having stayed at a host resort with cheerleaders before I couldn't do it....yes kids are kids. They weren't bad. They just travel around in packs and are loud and cause crowding at food court, pools, buses. I think it is awesome they get to compete in Disney. I just don't need all that activiyt at my Disney resort!

@firstwdw I'll start out saying I love kids, and I think it's great they get to travel and experience an opportunity like this. I traveled when I was younger and cherieshed those memories. That said, I'd totally move. Kids are kids, nothing wrong at all but for the amount of money I'd be spending on a Disney vacation I don't want to deal with the kids being kids.
Oh we moved! Even if it's just that last two days of our vacation when they arrive....like you said kids are kids. Not bad....but just busy/loud and crowding on buses, pools.....I just didn't want to deal with that on my vacation. I understand they've worked hard to get there but we also work hard to pay for our vacations. So back to Riverside we go! WOuld have loved to try CSR but not this time!

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Riverside resorts have been used in the past as overflow, for those that are a part of the competitions but unable to book at CSR/All Star resorts. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Your absolute safest bet would be any of the deluxe resorts. It just depends on how much you value your sleep and relaxation on vacation. Personally, I’d rather pay for a deluxe resort and enjoy my time on property. Sleep is a valuable thing on a Disney vacation.

I found their travel information on Cheer Worlds and Dance World and only CSR and All Star Movies are the choices for the particular group. I would think even if some families ended up at Riverside it will be far less than at the host resorts. I would love to stay deluxe but that is several thousand more!

When we stayed at All Star sports it was the team parents that were annoying. During March Madness the moved all the tv's from the rooms outside on the walk ways at night. Kids were just kids and pretty good

yes this exactly. The parents of the dancers when we stayed at music were so annoying. The kids didn’t bother us a bit but the dance moms were obnoxious.

April 16-23. Cheer and Dance Worlds start April 23rd but teams will start arriving before then. I googled it! LOL. There is also Summit Cheer which is last part of April into May .......I think..... And Coronado is moderate level host resort and All Star Movies is the value.
I moved us to Riverside. We wanted something new but after having stayed at a host resort with cheerleaders before I couldn't do it....yes kids are kids. They weren't bad. They just travel around in packs and are loud and cause crowding at food court, pools, buses. I think it is awesome they get to compete in Disney. I just don't need all that activiyt at my Disney resort!

I know you already changed resorts but I figured I would chime in for other people's knowledge. And this is based on me being a cheer parent for years.

Worlds competition tends to have older cheerleaders. Many are already over 18 and traveling with the team.

Summit has lots of young cheerleaders. And almost everyone of them has a parent traveling with them. Many of these parents use this as an opportunity to party and can be more disruptive than their children.

If I had to choose which cheerleaders I would be more comfortable around, it would be the World's athletes.

Does anyone know how many cheerleaders and dance team people usually show up for these competitions?

Does anyone know how many cheerleaders and dance team people usually show up for these competitions?

Depends on the week.
Summit is April 28 to May 01, which is about 1,000 teams, most teams are around 20 kids. This is a competition for ages 5 to 18, so a lot of little kids.
Worlds is May 8-10, not sure about the number of teams, but it is the older girls, ages 12+ and they are the more serious competitions.
Either way, it is going to be crowded and loud. These are the two biggest competitions in the world. I would argue Worlds may be better because the girls are more competitive and most have strict rules, i.e. no going in pools, only going to parks as a team, curfews; compared to the younger teams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter