Cornish Hens

Kirby

DIS Veteran
I picked up two Cornish Hens on sale the other day but have never cooked them before. How do you cook them?

I'm not sure what a cornish hen is:confused3 I've never seen them sold here.

ETA - its what we call a poussin! (i.e. a young hen only a few weeks old, typically less than 2lb). You can treat it as you would any chicken - roasting time according to weight so for 2lb would be about 1 hour - but wathc out it doesn't get dry (baste or marinade well). There are lots of recipes onlione

I'm not sure what a cornish hen is:confused3 I've never seen them sold here.

ETA - its what we call a poussin! (i.e. a young hen only a few weeks old, typically less than 2lb). You can treat it as you would any chicken - roasting time according to weight so for 2lb would be about 1 hour - but wathc out it doesn't get dry (baste or marinade well). There are lots of recipes onlione

Yeah, they are like a small chicken. My husband had asked not too long ago why I never fixed one. I didn't have an answer so when they went on sale two weeks ago, I picked up a pack of two.

They are very easy to cook. I always roast them, much like I do with a turkey or chicken, except for a shorter amount of time. I'm pretty sure roasting instructions and cooking time are listed on the package.

I stick them in a 13x9 pan to cook (usually only cook 2 at a time) and usually serve them with rice and vegetables. I have a friend that stuffs hers, but I don't. They really are tasty.

If you're putting them in a big pan you could oven roast veg at the same time - peel and cut into similar size pieces, toss in a little olive oil and herbs (fresh, chopped best but dried will do;)) and roast for about an hour, turning twice. The hens will probably nestle down nicely with them, or sit on top. Yay for one dish to wash up:yay:

why did you buy it but you can't cook it. :wizard: you can have look at Cornish Hen Recipes at about.com

why did you buy it but you can't cook it. :wizard: you can have look at Cornish Hen Recipes at about.com
Who said I can't cook it? I just wanted ideas from other people before I took the plunge and did it. I have googled recipes but just wanted to hear others input on how they cooked it.

Did they turn out OK? I used to get them on special offer when I worked at M&S when I was a teenager, but DH is a bit squeamish about small birds, deer, etc - he likes his meat unidentifiable as a living animal:rotfl:

I'm cooking them next week. Not sure how yet, but I'll figure it out. Just have to remember to set them out to thaw. :laughing:

We love them.Find them all the time at our supermarcket.Its like cooking quail and about the same taste.Just remember they have little fat,so when backing I put the finest cut of unsmoked bacon on and in the pan.If not they will be very dry.Don't go overboard,A few slices on top and A few in the pan only.I love serving it with wild rice and sautead asparagus,shrooms and onions!!:thumbsup2

I have roasted them in a dutch oven, like I would a whole chicken. However, they taste better to me with an orange marmalade glaze. I followed a recipe for the glaze online.

The marmalade makes them taste less gamey to me.

:confused3 Seems to me this is how you learn to cook something you haven't tried before or learn how to do it a different or better way. I love how easy it is to ask people questions here and get lot's of opinions and suggestions. I am under the impression that is one of this boards purposes.......

:confused3 Seems to me this is how you learn to cook something you haven't tried before or learn how to do it a different or better way. I love how easy it is to ask people questions here and get lot's of opinions and suggestions. I am under the impression that is one of this boards purposes.......

We are all here to help.Evryone got there own fav recipes,but you can take all the posts and do your own..
Thats why I love the DisBoards!!!:thumbsup2

Update on the Cornish Hens. I cooked them according to package directions and they turned out good. But my husband said that he would just as soon eat regular chicken. :confused3 Oh, well... :laughing:

Update on the Cornish Hens. I cooked them according to package directions and they turned out good. But my husband said that he would just as soon eat regular chicken. :confused3 Oh, well... :laughing:

Oh well it's always fun trying something new! Now on to the next new recipe experiment :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter