Corkscrew

HollyH

Are we there yet!!!!!
Ok all wine lovers. We are carrying on a selection of wine and wondered if we should even bother packing a corkscrew or will it be confiscated by security like the airports?

You can certainly pack it in your checked luggage, but not your carryons.

DCL will provide a corkscrew...just ask your room steward and he/she will deliver one to your room at n/c.

MJ

When traveling by air, you're allowed to carry a corkscrew in your checked baggage or in your carry-on. A corkscrew is not a prohibited item. Go to the Transportation Security Administration website, and click on "A MUST read for anyone travelling by air" (under Travel Tips).

When you get to the ship, there's no distinction between what's allowed in chacked baggage vs. carry-ons, from a security perspective. After all, you have control of both once the checked baggage gets to your stateroom. Again, a corkscrew is not a prohibited item.

As to the wine itself, it should go into your carry-on baggage, both on the aircraft and when you get to the ship. DCL prohibits liquids in checked baggage.

Horace Horsecollar, check the link, it's dead.

It may not be a prohibited item....but I will not pack anything that might slow down the security screening process. I have been stopped before with one, and although it is not prohibited....I still had to unpack my carryon to show them what it was.

MJ

The DCL corkscrews are nothing fancy, but they are fun to have. When we called room service and ordered 4 wine glasses and a corkscrew, the nice person on the other end actually said, "Do you only want one corkscrew? Are you sure you don't want at least 2 [ordering 4 glasses, it was a fair guess more than one family was involved...]?" So we got one for each family and ours brings a smile to my face every time I open that particular drawer at home :D

Wait, so if you stop to pick up some wine and other spirits at the store before you get to the port, you should just cram it into your carry-on?

I wasn't aware of the "no liquor in checked baggage" rule on DCL...

goingbacksoon

I told hubby I would like to take a bottle of champagne with us on our upcoming cruise to celebrate his 40th b-day. He thinks champagne will "explode" from cabin pressure on flight but I think it will be ok. They serve champagne on our favorite airline (Midwest Express) so it must be ok, right?

Originally posted by walczak4
He thinks champagne will "explode" from cabin pressure on flight but I think it will be ok.
Carrying a bottle of Champagne or other sparkling wine in you carry-on baggage is not a problem. As you noted, the airlines do so all time (primarily in first class). You're in a pressurized cabin, and the bottle has thick glass and a cork wire to hold the cork in.

I would not put any glass bottles into checked baggage.

Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar
A corkscrew is not a prohibited item.

I'm thinking that this has got to depend on where you're travelling from. According to Air Canada it's definitely a prohibited item and has to go in checked luggage.

Originally posted by Amberle3
I'm thinking that this has got to depend on where you're travelling from. According to Air Canada it's definitely a prohibited item and has to go in checked luggage.
According to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, corkscrews (other than those with attached knives) are allowed in carry-on baggage and checked baggage. For more, see http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

Well that has got to be a recent change then. My fiance flew here for Easter (all within Canada) and forgot he had a corkscrew in his daybag/carryon. It was definitely confiscated and almost caused him to miss his flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter