• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Corey's college program segment???

Dismom+two

<font color=purple>Dh and I always refer to it as
My dd15 has discovered that they have a college program at Disney and is now all excited. I told her she has a few years to go before worrying about it. I thought maybe she would love to listen to Corey talk about it but not sure which show it was...anyone know??

My dd15 has discovered that they have a college program at Disney and is now all excited. I told her she has a few years to go before worrying about it. I thought maybe she would love to listen to Corey talk about it but not sure which show it was...anyone know??

If I remember correctly it was in February 2008 time frame.

Feb 26, 2008 Podcast
In this weeks show we'll discuss the top news stories on the DIS including the story about the new plans for Disney's old treehouse villas. Corey Martin has his Disney College Program report and Julie Martin finishes her "Store Tours" of Epcot with a trip to Mexico. All that plus Roundtable Rapidfire and Cast Member appreciation on this edition of the DIS Unplugged.

Thank you all so much!!! Emily will be thrilled! :love:

I was a 3 time college programmer from 1998 to 2000. I was DAK opening crew at the TOL, I was a Backlot tour guide and then did an advanced internship as a stage technician.

Its absolutely a fantastic opportunity and something I would highly recommend to any college student. It was a fantastic time and has also been great on my resume, helping me in getting a job or two.

That being said, I would not let her go as a freshman or sophomore. I was 20 on my first one and while I loved my time there, I think I got more out of the program when I was older. You are talking about a TON of college kids, living together and really not having to worry about going to class except once every couple of weeks. If you remember back to college and the party environment it is, you can imagine what its like when you don't have to worry about studying and grades. I would recommend 21 myself, but at least 20... Personally, and I say this as a father, I think it will be easier to handle the environment at an older age than at 18 or 19. Just personal opinion, but an opinion from someone who experienced the environment.

Please don't let that scare you... the College Program is a FANTASTIC opportunity... in my experience, older students took better advantage of the opportunities it presented such as advanced internships, shadowing, networking, etc.

Either way, I do highly recommend it... although one other little caveat... it can increase ones Disney obsession, driving one to go down yearly or more and purchase DVC timeshare points ;-) Just a small warning... lol

I also recommend the Disney College Program! I was there in 2002-2003 as an entertainment performer. I had the time of my life! Had I not had strong ties to Alabama, I would probably have moved to Orlando. I loved it that much. I went when I was 20 years old. As long as your girl has a good head on her shoulders she will be fine. :)

im going into my Junior year of high school and am counting down the days until i can apply for my first CP. :goodvibes

It's like a paid spring break, and the best work and friend meeting opportunity of your life!! The photos and memories I have from that experience are timeless!

I can't wait to do the college program when I am in college

well said.....i went as a senior, actually, i had one class left to graduate. 2 of my roomies were second timers on the CP and older. Only 1 of my 5 roommates was younger and she struggled with home sickness and fitting in. I think a jr/sr is best. It was the best experience of my life. There is a lot of learning going on and growing, but also some typical 'partying'......it will be much easier if they are 21, if not, I know lots of the kids snuck around trying to drink underage, which could have resulted in being kicked out if caught. There was lots of temptation to get into trouble around for sure.

but if you have a good kid, that is responsible for hte most part, they will do well and have a blast. I only wish I had made more out of my progam than I did. :thumbsup2
I was a 3 time college programmer from 1998 to 2000. I was DAK opening crew at the TOL, I was a Backlot tour guide and then did an advanced internship as a stage technician.

Its absolutely a fantastic opportunity and something I would highly recommend to any college student. It was a fantastic time and has also been great on my resume, helping me in getting a job or two.

That being said, I would not let her go as a freshman or sophomore. I was 20 on my first one and while I loved my time there, I think I got more out of the program when I was older. You are talking about a TON of college kids, living together and really not having to worry about going to class except once every couple of weeks. If you remember back to college and the party environment it is, you can imagine what its like when you don't have to worry about studying and grades. I would recommend 21 myself, but at least 20... Personally, and I say this as a father, I think it will be easier to handle the environment at an older age than at 18 or 19. Just personal opinion, but an opinion from someone who experienced the environment.

Please don't let that scare you... the College Program is a FANTASTIC opportunity... in my experience, older students took better advantage of the opportunities it presented such as advanced internships, shadowing, networking, etc.

Either way, I do highly recommend it... although one other little caveat... it can increase ones Disney obsession, driving one to go down yearly or more and purchase DVC timeshare points ;-) Just a small warning... lol

It's like a paid spring break, and the best work and friend meeting opportunity of your life!! The photos and memories I have from that experience are timeless!
i still keep in touch with my roomies from 13 years ago (1996), in NY, PA, FL, AZ, SC.

be warned too- 2 of my roomies stayed at disney, they loved it so much and NEVER graduated college......they never left florida again. oh the irony. One is still working there (contract for Kodak at JII) 13 years later. :rotfl::confused3;) The other one just recently moved back home after a stint in disney weddings for a long time.

i still keep in touch with my roomies from 13 years ago (1996), in NY, PA, FL, AZ, SC.

be warned too- 2 of my roomies stayed at disney, they loved it so much and NEVER graduated college......they never left florida again. oh the irony. One is still working there (contract for Kodak at JII) 13 years later. :rotfl::confused3;) The other one just recently moved back home after a stint in disney weddings for a long time.

Ha ha .. Beware of the Disney magnet!! You need to promise yourself that you will return to college and finish school!! They make it too easy to extend once you are on the College Program

I would agree with that.... especially my first one... One of the best times of my life. There are MANY times I wish I could go do it again (especially with the wisdom I've obtained since I was 20).

well said.....i went as a senior, actually, i had one class left to graduate. 2 of my roomies were second timers on the CP and older. Only 1 of my 5 roommates was younger and she struggled with home sickness and fitting in. I think a jr/sr is best. It was the best experience of my life. There is a lot of learning going on and growing, but also some typical 'partying'......it will be much easier if they are 21, if not, I know lots of the kids snuck around trying to drink underage, which could have resulted in being kicked out if caught. There was lots of temptation to get into trouble around for sure.

but if you have a good kid, that is responsible for hte most part, they will do well and have a blast. I only wish I had made more out of my progam than I did. :thumbsup2

LOL... Very diplomatic answer.

I had a couple of friends who were there in 1996 on the college program in Entertainment at the Studios. I wonder if you knew either of them?

Ha ha .. Beware of the Disney magnet!! You need to promise yourself that you will return to college and finish school!! They make it too easy to extend once you are on the College Program

Just do what I did... go back and forth... Summer of 1999 and then Advanced Internship in Winter of 2000.

But I know what you mean... I was very close to staying after my first one in 1998. You can catch a bit of Peter Pan syndrome on the CP and I was not sure where my life was going at that point.

I had a couple of friends who were there in 1996 on the college program in Entertainment at the Studios. I wonder if you knew either of them?
i was stuck at hollywood and vine at the studios, but my roomie was in entertainment at the Studios.....she was 'friends' with Buzz who was on the big float in the Toy Story parade everyday. Her name was Mary Zerbe if you want to ask your friends if they knew her, i know entertainment was usually a close knit group.

and we had a few adults in our program, one was a woman in her 40s or 50s.

I never tried to stay on or extend....that is one thing I regret. I was dating my now husband at the time and we lived together before I left for the CP, which he wasn't happy about me going on the CP. So he was ready for me to come home. Plus, i had ONE class left to graduate. So I sort of felt the itch to graduate too. But i regret not staying or applying for an AI (although i know it is tough to get in). Life still turned out great, but I will always wonder....what if......would i possibly have gotten a great permament role eventually with the mouse? I'll never know. :confused3:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter