Corey glad you mentioned the GAC abuse.

Disney can't ask for documentation. It is against, I believe, the Americans with Disabilities Act. And really I am glad. I don't think people should have to explain their private medical condition to a stranger. While documentation might stem some of the abuse, I don't think that out weighs the loss of privacy of those who do need a GAC.

I can see your point, to a point. I'm used to looking at it from the standpoint that I don't think it's a big deal to pull out my son's IEP and say I need a GAC. But without forcing people to at least provide something, if powers that be will "crack down" on the use of a GAC, it seems to me that the people that will really be punished are the ones who have been using them properly all along.

There should be some sort of State approved ID issued by Doctors that state the need for a GAC. (I assume other places have these too, I can't imagine a law that only effects Disney) You have to get a Doc to say you need a handicap sign for the car. The special ID issued wouldn't have to have your specific situation, just your needs.

This would make it almost impossible to get an GAC as a forreign tourist.

Last May i used a GAC for the first time.
I used a wheelchair once in 2005 but didn't get an GAC because i didn't needed one back then.

Last May i got an GAC because of my low vision and it helped me/us a lot.
I could sit up fron at shows so i could see the show.

For sure i'm going to get a GAC in December too and probably going to use it more often then in May.
Especially during the nights (when it's dark) i can see less then during the day, but also for dark lines or for me Haunted Mansion (it's to dark for me and i can't see where i walk (less then i could before my vision problems because HM is just dark and hard to see where you walk).

At this point i have a non visible handicap, nobody could see that i have low vision (you could only noticed when i bumped into you).
Probably this December i have a Sight Impaired Cane so that it's more viable for others that i have low vision.

It's great that there is a GAC and that it's no problem to get one, but that also means that people will abuse this.
It's said but that is how some humans are.....
I know i can't tell people here in the Netherlands about the GAC, because when the word is spread out, you would see a lot of (asocial) Dutch people sitting upfront at a show pretending having low visabillity problems, just so that they can get good photo's.......

There should be some sort of State approved ID issued by Doctors that state the need for a GAC. (I assume other places have these too, I can't imagine a law that only effects Disney) You have to get a Doc to say you need a handicap sign for the car. The special ID issued wouldn't have to have your specific situation, just your needs.

Interesting...I wonder if other places offer something like a GAC? Does anyone know if Universal offers something similiar? Other theme parks or anywhere? Maybe my coffee hasn't started working yet, but I really can't think of any places other than theme/amusement parks where you would need one.

Sea World does it also but it's not that the people know that....

We went to Sea World and we asked for it at the counter where you also can ask for tours and they first looked at me like i asked them for there wallet, debit card and pin code...
Then they told me to go to guest services across the bakery, its a office and it's very tiny. There i had to explain that i have low vision and i wanted a card or something so i could sit upfront at shows.
I got something that was not a card but also not a paper, and i got a paper (stapled together with the card, very handy..) with all the attractions on it and where i could use my card.

So yes it's out there, but not as good as Disney does it....

I didn't really like the mention of the GAC abuse. There are stupid people everywhere, but I like to think they aren't the ones listening to the podcast in the first place. ;) And they already clearly know the rules in order to break them cleverly so they don't really care anyway.

I just think it's great that WDW has the GAC to make the parks so accessible for those that need it.:goodvibes

OK..I totally get it now!! I don't know if I've ever seen that myself or have even paid attention to that. Now, I do need to give some praise to my MIL. She uses a wheelchair while we're there because she has really bad knees and it's extremely hard for her to walk without holding on to something. So, this past trip, she had to get a wheelchair.

But...what I love about her is that she didn't use the wheelchair to get ahead in line. She said that since she wasn't deathly ill and she could walk short distances, she would just park it outside the attraction/ride and get back in it when we were done!! I was/am sooo proud of her because sooo many other people wouldn't have. I Love you mom and am sooo proud of you for doing that.....(she's on the boards, too!! It's how I got started on here:rotfl:)

Now...I wasn't saying that every single person who uses a wheelchair does abuse it. I was just saying how she could've easily used it as an "excuse" to get ahead in line, but she didn't. To those of you who are in a wheelchair or have family members who are, I hope you understand what I'm saying.

And....to you people who abuse the system....shame on you and yours!! All I have to say on that is Karma is a funny thing and shouldn't be messed with sometimes:thumbups2

"At this point i have a non visible handicap, nobody could see that i have low vision (you could only noticed when i bumped into you)."

That still wouldn't give it away at Disney. You can't convince me there are that many people with low vision bumping into me in July. ;)

So what exactly do they mean that they are going to be cracking down on the GAC use? We have used one during our last two trips because our son has Autism as well as some low muscle tone issues, and has trouble in the lines sometimes. That said, we used it only if we needed to. We typically visit WDW during "slower times" we have gone the past two years at the end of Nov, beginning Dec., so wait times were not horrible. If a line was not insanely long we would just wait, or if he seemed like he could handle it, we just didn't use it. It's a wonderful thing to have if you need it. We're going again first week of December, and now I'm worried. I've always brought a doctor's note just in case, but I'm just wondering what they mean by "cracking down."

deb

Corey didn't bring it up because he has a problem with it. He brought it up because he was stating that Disney is going to start enforcing the rules more. There was no discussion as to whether or not your grandma needs one, but just that there is abuse, Disney is catching onto it and now they are going to be a bit more strict. So, if you do get a GAC you will have to get a fastpass if you want to go through the fastpass line and it will be enforced. I think the key word in all of this is enforced. Disney has caught on that people are selling the GACs or just plain abusing them. I don't think that Disney is pointing fingers at the person who is in a wheelchair is doesn't obviously have something wrong with them. It's the group of teenagers who get a wheelchair just for fun or the people selling them. It's the obvious abuse - not the Hmmm, they don't look like they have a problem. I bet they don't.

So what exactly do they mean that they are going to be cracking down on the GAC use? We have used one during our last two trips because our son has Autism as well as some low muscle tone issues, and has trouble in the lines sometimes. That said, we used it only if we needed to. We typically visit WDW during "slower times" we have gone the past two years at the end of Nov, beginning Dec., so wait times were not horrible. If a line was not insanely long we would just wait, or if he seemed like he could handle it, we just didn't use it. It's a wonderful thing to have if you need it. We're going again first week of December, and now I'm worried. I've always brought a doctor's note just in case, but I'm just wondering what they mean by "cracking down."

deb

You will be fine. You follow the rules. They are just going to make people follow the rules.

I've seen too many people that really have real disabilities that wouldn't dream of asking for, let alone using a GAC. My six-year-old daughter suffers from pollen allergies and asthma (Lord, I hope she never sues me for passing on defective genes.). We just plan our days with appropriate breaks and never travel without an inhaler.

The truth is if you plan your trip right, take advantage of extra magic hours and FastPass you won't wind up waiting in really long lines.

What I'd hate to see is someone flame someone for skipping a line when it was totally justified. A couple of years ago, my brother got married at Disney. His bride finished her last chemotherapy treatment just days before the wedding. One of the reasons she didn't ride many rides in the parks was concern of what people would think seeing her appearing able bodied walking to the handicapped entrances. The other reason was she was afraid her wig would fall off... on Tower of Terror, I think she was just afraid.

i am a clincal social worker working with people with special needs --
the GAC was a life saver for our group - the last two years i was fortunate to be able to take 13 adults with special needs (mental retardation, down syndrome, autisum...etc.) and three staff
Disney went above and beyond for our group - they gave us 2 GAC cards so our group could split up for all go together. It was very helpful. some of our "guys" cant stand for very long, be in the heat too much, do well in the crowds, or they might blurt out things that might bother other guests. We never used it if the lines were short - or felt like we were taking advantage -
but we were very glad that we had the option to use it and so thankful that they offer such a program for people who need it.
jennifer

We have used the GAC in the past for DS. It was a life saver when we needed. We find as he gets older he no longer needs the accomodations it offers so we don't get one. I am VERY happy that my son is doing so much better that we don't require the pass any more!!!!

I haven't heard the podcast so I am not familiar with the fastpass policy they are enforcing, it sounds like you will need to have a fastpass even with the GAC. If this is the case I see it as a problem...the rules of the fastpass system are prohibitive for this use. You can only get one at a time, return times etc.

In our situation we had about 3 hours in any park before DS had enough and we had to leave, by utilizing the fast pass entrance we were often able to ride 3-4 attractions before he had enough and we had to leave. If we had to use the fast pass system we would be lucky to do 1 maybe 2 rides before he had enough. Yes we could have a fastpass for a time later in the day that we could come back for--this wasn't realistic and isn't for many families. Many of our trips were spent in the room or at the resort pool as he just couldn't handle more than 3 hours a day. We paid the same price for our tickets for those 3 hours as we would have for a full day!

The GAC made us feel like we still got value out of the trip...even though we only had 3 hours in the park, the pass helped us make the most of those hours.

I would like to add the fastpass entrance is just one way the GAC works....we often were able to wait in an alternate area which was just as helpful, or enter through the exit on rides such as the teacups. We never felt the GAC was a front of the line pass or a "bonus", I am sure any family who has a need for it would tell you they would pass it up in a heartbeat for a child who didn't require it!! It was an appreciated tool that helped relieve some of the stress of our day to day struggles and allowed us to experience much more of Disney than we would have otherwise!!

Corey didn't bring it up because he has a problem with it. He brought it up because he was stating that Disney is going to start enforcing the rules more. There was no discussion as to whether or not your grandma needs one, but just that there is abuse, Disney is catching onto it and now they are going to be a bit more strict. So, if you do get a GAC you will have to get a fastpass if you want to go through the fastpass line and it will be enforced. I think the key word in all of this is enforced. Disney has caught on that people are selling the GACs or just plain abusing them. I don't think that Disney is pointing fingers at the person who is in a wheelchair is doesn't obviously have something wrong with them. It's the group of teenagers who get a wheelchair just for fun or the people selling them. It's the obvious abuse - not the Hmmm, they don't look like they have a problem. I bet they don't.

Exactly. The point of my rapidfire was to tell you what I've heard. I am not one to judge who needs this and who doesn't, and neither is Disney, but I can say that anyone who abuses this card and tries to sell it on 192 is complete scum. The same thing goes with anyone getting a wheelchair for a joyride around the park.

This really needs to end. I wrote the post because I saw people using the GAC as a fast pass for large groups. No they did not appear to have fast passes just flashed the GAC in the fastpass line. IMO this is not what the intent of what the pass was made for. Period. I am just stating what I saw and it was definately abuse regaurdless if they had person in the group who needed the use of a GAC. 20-30 people going through a fast pass line with a GAC is not why the GAC was established I am sure. And yes I saw a cast member try to tell them they really can not do this and then the defiance started and they were permitted to go through the line. These were tour groups with matching shirts flashing a GAC as a fast pass. It happened with more than one group. Maybe why I never noticed before is because I always went during slow seaon and I go more often now. I am glad for the CM's sake they are going to crack down on it. End of discussion. Geez I never imagined this would turn into such a debate. Sorry I posted it.

Speaking as a sister of someone who is visibly handicapped and undiagnosed, GAC Abuse hurts my family. We have gotten cast members who tried to refuse us a GAC which helps my sister and we have been doing this for almost 18 years now. The CMs who tried to deny us got a healthy serving of humble pie from their manager and this was corrected. I do not know if it was because a group of ignorant people asked for one previously and obviously the CM couldn't deny it. So, to know people abuse these is heartbreaking. And I know CMs/College Program Students who abuse this so they don't have to wait in a long line either. My sister cannot be in the heat long, her stroller is sometimes too big for the cue, and I am hopeful/thankful that Disney will start cracking down.

As a CM, it sucks. And it is the one aspect I do not look forward to dealing with when I start doing attractions. Seeing children and teenagers who are obviously able to walk using ECVs and wheel chairs makes me sick to my stomach. And I wish I could say something to them, but I obviously can't.

This issue has been bugging my family for years and Disney may need limitations on this if it continues to be blatantly abused.

Okay...I'm done. Mini-rant: Fin.

i am a clincal social worker working with people with special needs --
the GAC was a life saver for our group - the last two years i was fortunate to be able to take 13 adults with special needs (mental retardation, down syndrome, autisum...etc.) and three staff
Disney went above and beyond for our group - they gave us 2 GAC cards so our group could split up for all go together. It was very helpful. some of our "guys" cant stand for very long, be in the heat too much, do well in the crowds, or they might blurt out things that might bother other guests. We never used it if the lines were short - or felt like we were taking advantage -
but we were very glad that we had the option to use it and so thankful that they offer such a program for people who need it.
jennifer

Wow, that sounds amazing! Plus only 3 members of staff!!! I work with kids with special needs and on day trips we have anywhere up to 14 staff members for 20 kids, we have so many on one to ones! I personally work most of the time with a little girl with Down's Syndrome and I think Ferris is so lucky to be so close to the magic and be able to get that experience and stimulation so frequently! This girl loves all things Princess and Lion King, and I really wish she could experience it (completely un-doable without a guest assistance card)! One day her parents hope to take her to Disneyland Paris, but it just isn't on the cards right now.

Anyway I try not to judge, and hope that people in their heart of hearts know that it's wrong to lie. However if Disney sees it's time to crack down, then I hope they do it by helping their guests rather than potentially hindering.

I just wanted to add my story to this. I posted this about a year ago, so if you've heard it sorry. My wife was diagnosied with MS in the fall of 07. She thought that it would hinder her enjoyment of Disney trips. Between the two of use we've been going to Disney since we were both children, over 20 times and the thought of not being able to Disney was very upsetting to her. Well we decided to take a trip in Feb-March of 08. I went out of my way to do everything I could to make the trip as easy as possible for her. When I heard about the GAC card I thought this was great. She wasn't ready to use a wheelchair even though her mobility can be an issue and the heat can really get to her. We got the card with no problem, however we had several issue in using it. I don't know if the CM were judging or what the case was, but there were other CMs that went our of there way to accomodate us with the assistance we needed. So to use the GAC could be good or bad. As I was told some attractiosn are not ADA due to a grandfathered, not sure if that is true and I really don't have a problem and understand if that is the case. I don't have a problem with Disney trying to inforce the use of the card, I would just hope that they enforce it fairly and across the board. I too can't believe someone would take an advantage of something like that, it sickens me too.

Interesting...I wonder if other places offer something like a GAC? Does anyone know if Universal offers something similiar? Other theme parks or anywhere? Maybe my coffee hasn't started working yet, but I really can't think of any places other than theme/amusement parks where you would need one.

Six Flags offers a guest assistance card also. It gives you the opportunity to spend your wait time out of the lines. You still have to wait same as everyone else. We used one when taking our 48 year old developmentally delayed friend. He just can't be still in the lines and bothers others. We use it more for others comfort than our own...

Disney can't ask for documentation. It is against, I believe, the Americans with Disabilities Act. And really I am glad. I don't think people should have to explain their private medical condition to a stranger. While documentation might stem some of the abuse, I don't think that out weighs the loss of privacy of those who do need a GAC.
That is true.
The ADA says that no one can be denied accommodations they need related to a disability because they did not provide proof of disability.
For an extreme situation, but one that more people could relate to - if you wear glasses, imagine how you would feel if glasses were not allowed to be worn outside your home without proof that they are needed. Any time you entered a building or business, someone could ask you for proof that you need them. Most people would not like that and would see it as discrimination - people being treated differently just because of something about themselves that they can not control.
But I think it could be solved somewhere in the middle. Not asking for some sort of proof is counter productive to the goals of the ADA. I say this because without some sort of proof anybody can get it and that clogs up the system.

There are no state issued disability cards and the ADA does say that a person with a disability can't be required to provide proof in order to get accommodation that is needed because related to a disability. (Europe is different - they have laws that do require a card for disabilities). The same ADA law applies to all "Places of Public Acco
Handicapped parking permits are a different situation. By law, you do have to have a physician certify that the person has a handicap that makes a handicapped parking permit necessary. The handicapped person can also be required to provide proof of disability for things like discounts, free entry, front of line access (like people on Make a Wish trips), or things like buses that provide door to door service.
That's because these things are either limited in number (handicapped parking spots), are more extensive than required to accommodate the disability or desired by people without disabilities (all the other things).

One interesting bit is that the ADA only applies to certain disabilities and does not apply in the same way to temporary conditions (lasting less than 6 months). This is the definition of disability in the ADA:
(1) Disability

The term "disability" means, with respect to an individual
(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual;
(B) a record of such an impairment; or
(C) being regarded as having such an impairment (as described in paragraph (3)).

(2) Major Life Activities

(A) In general for purposes of paragraph (1), major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.

(B) Major bodily functions
For purposes of paragraph (1), a major life activity also includes the operation of a major bodily function, including but not limited to, functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.

(3) Regarded as having such an impairment

For purposes of paragraph (1)(C):

(A) An individual meets the requirement of “being regarded as having such an impairment” if the individual establishes that he or she has been subjected to an action prohibited under this chapter because of an actual or perceived physical or mental impairment whether or not the impairment limits or is perceived to limit a major life activity.

(B) Paragraph (1)(C) shall not apply to impairments that are transitory and minor. A transitory impairment is an impairment with an actual or expected duration of 6 months or less.

OK..I totally get it now!! I don't know if I've ever seen that myself or have even paid attention to that. Now, I do need to give some praise to my MIL. She uses a wheelchair while we're there because she has really bad knees and it's extremely hard for her to walk without holding on to something. So, this past trip, she had to get a wheelchair.

But...what I love about her is that she didn't use the wheelchair to get ahead in line. She said that since she wasn't deathly ill and she could walk short distances, she would just park it outside the attraction/ride and get back in it when we were done!! I was/am sooo proud of her because sooo many other people wouldn't have. I Love you mom and am sooo proud of you for doing that.....(she's on the boards, too!! It's how I got started on here:rotfl:)

Now...I wasn't saying that every single person who uses a wheelchair does abuse it. I was just saying how she could've easily used it as an "excuse" to get ahead in line, but she didn't. To those of you who are in a wheelchair or have family members who are, I hope you understand what I'm saying.

And....to you people who abuse the system....shame on you and yours!! All I have to say on that is Karma is a funny thing and shouldn't be messed with sometimes:thumbups2
Actually, if she had stayed in the wheelchair, she would have found that in most cases the wheelchair does not allow the person to get ahead in line.
The ADA says that, as much as possible, people with disabilties should be treated the same as people without disabilities *the ADA is about equal access and making things accessible in the same way as much as possible, not superior access.*
The majority of lines are actually wheelchair accessible thru most of the line and people with wheelchairs and ECVs wait in the same line with everyone else. These are called Mainstream Lines.
AK and the Studio were built with Mainstream Lines. MK and Epcot are much older, so they were not built with Mainstream Lines, but Mainstream Access was added to as many as possible as things were added or renovated.
In some cases, CMs giving out GACs are not doing a good job about asking people what their needs are. The ADA says that accommodations are to be made based on needs - not just a 'one size fits all' accommodation.
Most GACs allow use of things like a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun to wait or using a stroller as a wheelchair. MOST do not shorten or eliminate waiting in line.
WDW's own rules say that people who use a wheelchair or ECV don't need a GAC. Just having a wheelchair, ECV or visible mobility need will allow the person to use the accessible entrance (which in most cases, is the regular entrance/waiting area).
The GAC also has printed right on it that it is not meant to allow immediate access and that if you want to avoid waits, you should use Disney's Fastpass system. Some people are so 'me centered' though that they make a scene when they don't get what they want. We were actually waiting in line behind some other groups with disabilities when a man came up to the CM and demanded to be put on the attraction right away because "I have a disability and this card says you need to let me in right away."
He was loud, pushy and would not listen to the CM who explained the rest of us with disabilities were waiting and he would need to wait behind us. He refused, got louder and should probably ended up kicked out of the park. What actually happened was that he got to ride ahead of all of us people waiting (and some had already been waiting for almost the same amount of time as if we had been in the 'regular' line, so by the time we got on, our wait was longer than if we had not needed to wait in the accessible boarding area).
This sounds like a situation like the person who wrote originally about GAC was talking about. I'm sorry that I did not hear the podcast before replying - I was replying to things people posted on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter