• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coral Reef Question

We were there last week, and it was our group's favorite meal of the whole trip. Food and service were both great. Loved the Mahi. I'd go there again in heartbeat.

50's prime time is one we'll never do again, but everyone has a different experience.

After 2 terrible experiences with food and service Coral Reef is the only restaurant that is on our "never again" list.

Pakey said:
I have dined here many times starting way before the dining plan up to our last time there in 2011.

This was a place really hurt by the dining plan. It started as a signature but fell in between so it was lowered to 1 credit and soon enough, the good and unique dishes were removed to keep the pricing in line. Today's menu is a far cry from what it was 15 years ago.

There are some decent dishes and some bad ones. The children's menu is pretty bad. Service is consistently slow; an early lunch has proven to be better than the dinners.

With all of that, I still think its a place to try once to make up your own mind. The decor is fantastic, a true Disney experience. Pick a time when you aren't rushed to be somewhere and try not to be bothered by late seating and slow service.

I thought it used to be a signature. I thought I had lost my mind. People kept telling me it never was!

We ate there about 2 weeks ago. We were on the top tier, still had a nice view, but if you ask my 6yr old he would disagree.
The food, was good. 3 of us had the lobster ravioli and one had steak, Dh had the fish of the day (No clue what it was, but he loved it). Only 1 of my kids did not like the lobster ravioli, because of the sauce, he did not like it. They made just noodles with butter and parmesan cheese for our 6 yr old because they do not have mac n cheese on the kids menu. He liked that.

Service...well we were seated early, no waiting. Our waitress was good and attentive. The people who delivered the food though, just tossed the plates on the table. The check too a bit to get, but other than that, no real issues.

We would go back I think.

Everyone should try it at least once. Been there 3 times for dinner.....okay food, okay to slightly-slow service, not worth OOP IMHO....but the fish tank is way cool!!

This was a place really hurt by the dining plan. It started as a signature but fell in between so it was lowered to 1 credit and soon enough, the good and unique dishes were removed to keep the pricing in line. Today's menu is a far cry from what it was 15 years ago.

Now it all makes sense! It was my favorite restaurant at WDW in 1988, it was ok in 1994, and kind of disappointing in 2010. If it turned back into what it used to be, I'd gladly use 2 TS credits for it. I suppose that might make it less kid-friendly though. It really doesn't make much sense to me that there's little seafood on the menu there. :sad2:

I wonder if this feeds into my own personal conspiracy theory of Disney trying to get rid of two of the last semi-original places in Future World: The Seas and The Land. Garden Grill is only open at dinner, and if the quality of Coral Reef keeps going down it will give more of an excuse to get rid of them. Not having the aquarium and greenhouse to deal with would give a lot of room for more (sigh) thrill-rides. :scared:

When we went in 2011 we all REALLY enjoyed it and made sure to make a ressie for it when we go back in February 2013.

I would definitely try it for yourself, obviously everyones opinions are SO different. ;)

The biggest thing for me is YES, there are bad tables in this restaurant, sorry. At least one anyway...we were there last week and were on the top tier, ALLL the way to the end. I had my 7yo DS sit across from me facing the restaurant because that's where the wall dipped down lower, but he still had to sit on his knees to see anything at all. I on the other hand, looked at the wall the entire time, in order to see the tanks I would have to turn completely sideways in my chair...not comfortable. Food was really good, I enjoyed it...our server on the other hand, not so good. She seemed "shocked" when we stopped another waitress/hostess to have them track her down because our drinks had been empty for over 10 minutes. That is a huge pet peeve to me...it's 90+ degrees outside, don't you think people are thirsty. :crazy2:

Would I go back? Yes, but I would request a "good" table...which apparently I got the only bad one in the house. ;)

I was there in November. I had the mahi mahi and the rest of the people in my party had the steak. We were all very happy with our meals and liked the atmosphere. I think my mom also got the lobster soup and that was very good.

I've been to Disney several times. We always pick Coral Reef as a dinner. Every time we ate there it's been a great experience, great food, and a great time. The atmosphere is especially great! Always look forward to eating at this restaurant. Good times! Give it a shot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter