Coral Reef or Rose and Crown?

crazycatlady

DIS Veteran
One of the food highlights of our last trip was our lunch at Via Napoli. For our next trip, DH and DS really want to eat there again....twice. I am all about eating there once, but DD and I would like to try a new restaurant while they are eating there for the second time. We have it narrowed down to Coral Reef for lunch or Rose and Crown for dinner (We currently have a Via Napoli ADR for one of each, but will cancel two people for whichever meal we decide to skip)
Coral Reef looks so beautiful, but gets such mixed reviews. The atmosphere at Rose and Crown doesn't look as exciting as Coral Reef, but the food seems to get much better reviews. Or should we just keep both Via Napoli ADRs because we know we like it? Last year when I was ready to give up our Cape May ADR, the kind people on the Dis talked me into keeping it and it ended up being our favorite dinner of the trip. In fact, we are eating there twice this year. ;) Please give me more good advice! :worship:

We've done both Coral Reef and Rose & Crown for dinner.

I would go with Rose & Crown. Sure it helps that we have two really nice aquarium restaurants locally so the lure of the scenery isn't that great for us, but the food and service was just so disappointing when we went that it really took away from the ambience.

On the flip side, Rose & Crown was really enjoyable and the setting reminded us of our travel in England. While patio seating is not a guarantee, trying to get a table outside might improve the whole setting for you and your family...of course those seats outside are much harder to come by if your ADR is around Illuminations time.

I wasn't impressed by either restaurant, but in defense of the Rose & Crown, I had a cranky baby with me, so I couldn't fully enjoy my meal.

I'm not anxious to go back to either.

I haven't tried Via Napoli yet, so I have no comparison there.

We really enjoyed Coral Reef when we went last week. I was nervous about it because of the reviews on the DIS and almost cancelled it and I'm so glad I didn't. We got a table against the tanks, so that helped the atmosphere, but we didn't even ask for it! DH had the seasonal catch (Flounder maybe?), I had the Mahi Mahi, and DD12 had the NY Strip. We all had the chocolate wave for dessert. We had many great meals, so I wouldn't say it was our favorite of the eight we had, but the food and service were great and we would go back.

Rose n Crown. We have eaten at both and we enjoy Rose n Crown much more. We have always had great meals at RnC and will be returning in Aug.

We love Coral Reef, we eat there everytime we go to WDW. We have had lunch and dinner and it has always been very good. The atmosphere is amazing, especially if you get a seat by the tank. I would definitely give it a try.

Never been to Rose & Crown, but we do have an ADR for lunch there this September.

I can vouch for Rose and Crown's food being absolutely delicious - unfortunately, I've not yet ventured to the Coral Reef. Maybe I'll have to make a trip soon...

I've never eaten at the Rose & Crown before, but I ate at Coral Reef in February and it was disappointing. :sad2:
I was really looking forward to it, but the waitress kept bringing wrong things or forgetting something, and the food was just okay at best.
BUT the fried shrimp on the appetizer menu was AWESOME, however it wasn't on the dining plan.

We eat at both the Rose and Crown AND Coral Reef (Via Napoli too), so I am definitely not the one to ask. But . . . . I truly believe you can't go wrong with either choice. I have yet to have a bad meal at any of them. I guess rather than go by someone's reviews (remember people are more like to post a negative than a positive), just go with what truly appeals to you more. If Rose and Crown doesn't really grab you then go with Coral Reef - it really is a beautiful place and we've never had a bad meal or service. Rose and Crown is nice if you can get on the patio for Illuminations - food and service is great too. See what I mean? Can't go wrong with either.

My family loves Coral Reef. Each of our meals was fabulous. (Two adults and two rather picky kiddos.) Also, the strawberry smoothies as a dining plan included beverage- YUM!! We were facing the tank so that was a nice bonus. Our server was great and we enjoyed it greatly. We'll be going back again for lunch in October.

We've been going to both for years. Always have good meals and a great time. I know people give bad reviews to Coral Reef, but we've never had a bad experience there. My opinion is you have to try a restaurant for yourself to see if it works for you. Have fun!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

Thanks everyone for the opinions! :hug:

It's so funny because I would never worry about whether I will love/hate a restaurant at home. I just try it and if it's no good I don't go again. Simple. My DH thinks I'm nuts agonizing over a simple dinner reservation because it's at Disney. :laughing:

DD and I read all of the responses and we are going to give Coral Reef a try, even though the responses were a bit more favorable to Rose and Crown. This may be our last family trip for a few years because DS17 will be starting college next year and I know DD would love to eat by that aquarium. I got an 11 am ADR because I've read that CR gets backed up later in the day and I also figure that I have a better chance of getting a great seat by the aquarium if we are one of the first tables sat.

Thanks again for all of the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter