Coral Reef or L'Originale for dinner with dd5

kahliasmom

Mouseketeer
I am going to Epcot in March and right now have an ADR for Coral Reef, but with all the negative reviews I read on AllEars I am wondering if I should change it. Am interested in the Italian restaurant but I read that the waiters there can be snooty. Don't really want a snooty waiter. I also read that the chefs can be viewed while preparing the dinner, is that true. DD would like that as well as the strolling musicians I have read about. :goodvibes

waiters at alfredo's are delightful. We always go to try out our poor italian. I haven't been to coral reef in years so I can not say.

We were in Alfredo's two weeks ago. My poor husband had a tray of empty dishes dropped on his head by a bus boy. He had a bump on his head for days. He is one of those people that these things always happen to each trip.:scared1:

I like Coral Reef, but I do admit it can be a bit pricey...

I haven't met a kid yet that didn't love watching all the fish swim by in the aquarium at Coral Reef.

We had dinner at Alfredo's in January and I'm sorry to say it was the worst meal of the trip. The food wasn't good (though none of us had the alfredo), the service was fair and the atmosphere was loud and obnoxious (I know Italians can be loud and demonstrative, but these people acted like buffoons). Countless trays and dishes were dropped during our dinner, I'm not surprised your husband got clunked on the head. I come from a long line of proud Italians and expected sooo much more from the food and the people. Disappointing.

I really don't understand all the negative reviews of coral reef. I've been twice this year and had great food, service and atmosphere both times. Although we have enjoyed Alfredo's as well.

Coral Reef-atmosphere is beautiful !!! Food seems to be hit and miss, but it seems that way with a lot of them!:lmao:

We took our 5 year old DD to Coral Reef last year for dinner and she loved the aquariams. I thought the food was wonderful and our waiter was the best one that we had on our entire trip. We haven't tried Alfredo's yet.

We did both just a week ago and Coarl Reef was 1000% better. We had bad service and not great food at CR about 5 years ago and were a little unsure about a repeat. It was our favorite meal all week. Service was wonderful and food so yummy. The steak was better than LeCellier and we love that place too.

Now Alfredo's was ok. Not wonderful but ok. Service was just ok, food was just ok, and it was SO loud. We did not like the desert at Alfredo's but loved loved loved what we had at CR. I think CR used to be iffy but it is so much better now. Wish we had gone back there instead of our night at Alfredo's

My vote would be for Coral Reef. I actually really liked the food and for a kid eating by the tank is priceless. My son still talks about that and how Garden Grill moves. Now for Alfredo's sorry but I say YUK!!! never again. I ate there twice the second time was to see if the first was just a fluke but it was just as bad the second time around. We tried different dishes and we didn't like any of it really. I know lots of people love the food there but this was just our experience. My vote would be to go to the restaurant you think you would like most and if you don't like it don't go next time. The reviews on restaurants vary so much each person has different tastes and preferences and some service will be awful one night and the best another. You won't know what you think till you try it yourself.

We had Easter dinner at Coral Reef last year and it was really good. :goodvibes We're going back there for dinner again this year - can't wait!

I'd think your 5 yr old dd would love to be at Coral Reef to see the aquarium. We are bringing my 5 yr old dgs to Coral Reef for that reason. BUT I'd say Alfredo's for, in my opinion, have better "kids food" for the "little ones" or "picky ones". I don't know why Alfredo's gets sooo many iffy reviews because my dh and I, my sister and her dh and a couple of friends just love Alfredo's.

I just went to the Coral Reef on the January 30th and my husband and I LOVED it. The food was good but the tank was amazing. I was worried that it would just be a few fish but there were lots of sharks and huge sea turtles and sting rays and a large variety of fish. My husband and I both enjoyed our food.

But I am biased! I had called ahead and asked to have the Divers hold up a sign for my husband's birthday. Debbi Sacileux (sp??) also arranged for my husband to have a private menu with a picture I sent her of him on our honeymoon and a little message from me. Then as we were waiting for our appetizer the divers entered the tank and swam right over to our table and my husband said "Look the divers are coming right towards us and they have something in their hand!" The waiter nonchalantly took our camera while my husband was looking at the tank and then when the Divers got right in front of our table one of them held up a sign that read "Happy Birthday Thomas" and motioned for everyone to sing...and they did...any my husband turned bright red! So for us it was an amaing dinner that we will never forget. The fact that the restaurant put so much genuine interest in my husband's birthday and showed us that much individualized service, despite the large number of people that go in and out of there everday, was amazing!

Some pictures:

CIMG0573_1_0020.jpg

CIMG0573_2_0194.jpg

CIMG0574_0018.jpg

Thanks for your replies. Angwil you are right that I won't know until I go and I should probably pick the one that works best for me. Well with everyone's input it looks like I will probably stick with CR. The bad reviews scare me off for Alfredo's. JCL sorry to hear about your husbands head. I wait tables and last summer I hurt my hand and was using the other hand to hold the tray and dumped drinks on this one man. It was awful. Sounds like dh keeps it interesting. Loveshak22 thanks for the pictures. That was so nice that they did that for dh!! DId you have to pay for that? I would pay to have them do something for dd. Thanks for the description of the tank also. I was just picturing it as you said with just a few fish. It sounds nice how you describe it. Thanks again. Less than 6 weeks until we go!!! :cool1: :cool1: :yay: :yay:

Loveshak22 thanks for the pictures. That was so nice that they did that for dh!! DId you have to pay for that? I would pay to have them do something for dd. Thanks for the description of the tank also. I was just picturing it as you said with just a few fish. It sounds nice how you describe it. Thanks again. Less than 6 weeks until we go!!! :cool1: :cool1: :yay: :yay:

No it was free! Which I find amazing because I, like you, would have been willing to pay for the look on my husband's face!

Debbi Sacleux set it all up. She works for the CR and she was great. I don't have her direct number any more but you can call the 407-WDW-DINE number and ask for it or the direct number for the CR.

As a warning, when I made the reservations I asked the CM at the DINE number about the signs and she said that they didn't do that for birthdays and when I asked for the direct number to CR she didn't give it to me and just repeated that they don't do that for birthdays. I called a second time and asked the CM at the DINE number for the number to the CR so I could ask them about doing a sign and she said that she thinks they only do it for engagements. I asked her for the direct number and she gave it to me. When I called a left a message and Debbi called me back within a few hours and said it would be no problem. I told her what the CM at the DINE number said and her reply was that they do have to be careful because if they do the signs with the divers too much then it starts to look like a commercial in the tank. So I don't know if there are restrictions like they only do so many signs a night or what, but Debbi set it up and everything went smooth. I didn't call her or talk to her again between ssetting everything up and arriving for dinner and was a little worried that things might not go off as planned....but they did!

She was also the one that suggested that I send her a picture of my husband and a message and she would print it up on a personalized menu. It was just a paper menu but it was still great because it was so individualized...and my husband felt special, which was the goal!

Good luck and have fun! I think your daughter will love the tank. Again, the food was good (my NY strip was just O.K) but the dessert was fabulous. I ordered the chocloate wave and it was delicious and my husband ordered the vanilla cheesecake and said it was the second best he had ever had.

We haven't tried Alfredo's...yet. But we've taken our 3 kids to Coral Reef twice, and it was great both times. We had a party of 7 the 2nd time, so sat near the back, but the kids could still watch the aquarium, and had fun spotting the turtles, sharks, and rays. We've had excellent service there too.

The first time DH had grilled tuna that was out of this world! My shrimp pasta was good - it was shrimp pasta! Anyway, we HAD to go back and have tuna again, only I didn't realize it was only on the dinner menu!:sad1: Our server was SO great - went and asked the chef if we could have the tuna anyway, we were so disappointed - and we got it! Of course, it wasn't as good as the first time, but we appreciated the effort and it was still good.

My DD5 did OK with the food, but she wasn't that hungry and really just wanted us to leave her alone so she could color and look at the tank. She ate mac & cheese. The CM allowed my son to sub salmon in for the kids' fish, and he also tried the fish chowder (it was very good, I just couldn't get over that he ordered it!) They were very friendly there, and another CM (that brought our apps) talked to my kids about their pins and gave them a tip about HM pins.

If you go, don't miss the Chocolate Wave - it's as good as everyone says. But also don't overlook the Creme Brulee - it was also wonderful (and I thought my DM was daffy to order that instead of the Wave, but she LOVED it).

Enjoy!

Coral Reef is definitely pricely but the view is spectacular!! I would recommend trying it once and then deciding for yourself.

I haven't tried L'Originale yet.
:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter