• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coral Reef or Les Chefs

isugal72

Earning My Ears
we are at epcot 10/4 and I am still debating dinner.I have Coral Reef booked as I really was interested in the atmosphere but have read not so great reviews lately.Les Chefs has an opening that night as well and thought maybe try something different. We have our 1 yr old DS with us.

Opinions appreciated:confused3

Even with the tepid reviews I still think coral reef is worth doing. Sitting by the windows is still pretty cool! Otherwise, I'd do Chefs.

I have dined at both of these many times and honestly, both of these places are among the top on my list of "hit and miss" places. One time we will go and really enjoy it and then the next time we wonder why we liked it.

Coral Reef has worse service although Chefs is not speedy. Chefs on the other hand, has very crowded tables where Coral Reef's are spaced a bit better. Coral Reef is noisier.

Both places have a few good dishes and then some not so great dishes. Although I prefer to eat fish over meat, I prefer the Chefs menu over Coral Reef.

If I hadn't dined at either, I'd probably choose Coral Reef just because the atmosphere is unique. The restaurant is very dark and the tank is nice.

I'd have to go with Les Chef's.

We have found the service to be rude/awful and the menu and execution of the food to be below par, at best, at Coral Reef. But with all that aside, I don't know if it's the right atmosphere for a 1 year old. If you sat close to the tank, would you be comfortable with people just standing on top of you or kids running around or leaning on your table, especially with you having a 1 year old? If you don't sit near the tank, are you going to bring your DS up to the tank to look in and are you going to be comfortable standing over people while they are trying to eat a meal? CR is not the same restaurant it used to be and this is one of the rare cases where I fully blame the dining plans.

Any thoughts on not making yourself an ADR for that night and instead opt for sampling around F&W? The night in question is a Tuesday, so the crowds shouldn't be too bad. It might be something to consider.

thanks for all the info!

I had not realized about the tables being crowded at Les Chefs. I am pregnant with #2 so really not looking to be crowded at table instead focus on relaxing.

Had not realized they had food sampling with F&W is that just in World Showcase? We have never been during F&W

thanks for all the info!

I had not realized about the tables being crowded at Les Chefs. I am pregnant with #2 so really not looking to be crowded at table instead focus on relaxing.

Had not realized they had food sampling with F&W is that just in World Showcase? We have never been during F&W

There are I think 20 something kiosks around WS this year, all with a few dishes to sample (not to mention the good stuff that you'll have to skip... congrats by the way). I think the prices range about $3-$6 for food and a bit more for the alcohol. There is a pretty informative sticky that should give you a good amount of information. This is going to be our first F&W this year, but I have been reading into it and looking at everyones pictures for a couple of years now. We are actually devoting a whole day just to snacking and drinking around F&W.

We've eaten at both and LOVE Chefs!! We didn't care for the menu at CR and we love seafood. We never felt crowded at Chefs. In August we had a beautiful table in the corner in solarium part of rest. It was great!!
And REMY is SO DARN CUTE!!! :)

(We ate at CR only once and have been back to Chefs 3x)

We've eaten at both and LOVE Chefs!! We didn't care for the menu at CR and we love seafood. We never felt crowded at Chefs. In August we had a beautiful table in the corner in solarium part of rest. It was great!!
And REMY is SO DARN CUTE!!! :)

(We ate at CR only once and have been back to Chefs 3x)

I am SO glad to hear a positive vote for Chefs. DH and I have a dinner ADR there in January and I was getting nervous about it... any recommendations on what to order-or to stay away from? (We will probably do the pre fixe meal because we are on the DDP).

And for the OP-we have been very underwhelmed with Coral Reef. If you get to sit by the tank it's fun, but the food was not great-and we are not picky eaters.

I am SO glad to hear a positive vote for Chefs. DH and I have a dinner ADR there in January and I was getting nervous about it... any recommendations on what to order-or to stay away from? (We will probably do the pre fixe meal because we are on the DDP).

And for the OP-we have been very underwhelmed with Coral Reef. If you get to sit by the tank it's fun, but the food was not great-and we are not picky eaters.

Lunch: pre fixe
French onion soup-definately!!! YUM
I've had the mac and cheese 2x- very good!
creme brulee for dessert
DH had the same except he had quiche lorraine

I've also had the salmon for dinner.
I think DH got the short ribs.

ENJOY :) I just noticed you were from MA- me too!! have a great trip

I'm throwing my vote in for Chef's. I haven't noticed the tables being that much closer than some of the other restaurants in Disney. I've had much better food and excellent service at Chef's. At Coral Reef the service both times was horrible and the food declined as well. Started off as meh and ended up as ewww.

We have eaten at Coral Reef twice and enjoyed it both times. Not the BEST food we've ever had at Disney, but certainly not the worst either. I love the atmosphere - especially if you have children with you who love fish as mine do! The server we had both times was wonderful and quick. We plan on returning next year!

We have eaten at Chef's twice as well (pre-Remy unfortunately). Again, not the best food but not the worst either... I prefer Coral Reef though. The service was speedy. Tables were a bit close and it was super crowded. We honestly just didn't care a ton for the food and didn't care for the atmosphere much at all. We don't plan to return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter