coping with rides with a shoulder injury?

blodders

Mouseketeer
I have just found out that I am going to have a pretty heavy duty shoulder op 5 months prior to my trip to Orlando. I will still have to be careful with it and will have limited movement. I won't be in a sling or plaster though. The one thing I have to avoid at all cost is moving my arm out sideways from the body. I am hoping to still do the coasters because I will be able to hold on to the shoulder restraints ok, but I can't remember how knocked about you get? I would love to do the rides at I.O.A. including the HP ones and Manta at Seaworld. What do you think? I am a little worried about the water rides at the waterparks too. I can't remember how thrown about you are on landing in the water from the slides .I MUST keep that elbow into the body to protect the shoulder. A couple of the smaller rides sort of concern me like the drop at Splash Mountain and Jurassic Park . I will only be able to hold myself steady with one arm and what about Expedition Everest? Can any one advise please?

why can't you wear a sling? just to be sure you don't throw your arm out?

in any case, i suggest you ask your doctor just before your trip what his advice is.
If he says it's ok then ok....if he says it's not, then it's not....

he's the expert and will have a better idea of what you should and shouldn't do....

why can't you wear a sling? just to be sure you don't throw your arm out?

in any case, i suggest you ask your doctor just before your trip what his advice is.
If he says it's ok then ok....if he says it's not, then it's not....

he's the expert and will have a better idea of what you should and shouldn't do....

I have thought about wearing a sling but will they let me on the rides at all then?
I spoke to the doctor when talking about the op. The problem is, he has had no experience of theme parks or rollercoasters and so it was difficult to for him to give an informed opinion. He could tell me what movements to avoid but that was about it.

I have thought about wearing a sling but will they let me on the rides at all then?
I spoke to the doctor when talking about the op. The problem is, he has had no experience of theme parks or rollercoasters and so it was difficult to for him to give an informed opinion. He could tell me what movements to avoid but that was about it.

people in wheel chairs are permitted to get out of the wheel chairs and ride the rides....i would assume that people with slings can also ride..

DW has had spinal surgery so has to be very careful what she rides. What we tend to do when she sees a ride that she fancies going on is I will test ride it and see how much ot throws you. I then give her an honest opinion as to whether it will hurt her or not.
Would this be something that is worth considering for you?

I wouldn't suggest Dinosaur! About as bumpy as they come, I don't think I could ride it without bracing myself with both hands!

No one can stop you riding because of you wearing a sling! :goodvibes

Id be in a lot of trouble if they wouldn't let you ride with a sling, Im a wheelchair user due to bad joint problems and wear braces on both shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles and I intend to ride (nearly) everything in disney :cool1:

Im sure a brace or sling would be more pratical to hold in your arm rather than holding it with your other arm :scared1: but obviously you should speak with your Dr :wizard:

No one can stop you riding because of you wearing a sling! :goodvibes

Id be in a lot of trouble if they wouldn't let you ride with a sling, Im a wheelchair user due to bad joint problems and wear braces on both shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles and I intend to ride (nearly) everything in disney :cool1:

Im sure a brace or sling would be more pratical to hold in your arm rather than holding it with your other arm :scared1: but obviously you should speak with your Dr :wizard:

Presumably the only things I won't be able to ride with a sling are coasters with over the shoulder restraints?

DD was born without her left arm below elbow. She sometimes wears a prosthetic arm on rides no problem so if you think a sling will help go for it.

I had major spinal surgery in March/April 2000 resulting in my spine being secured by titanium - rode a few rides in Hong Kong in October 2000 with surgeons consent with no problems (had to cancel trip to Florida in the August of the same year when I found out I needed op). Completely different injuries - what I would say is that the g-forces of the ride may provide discomfort even if the shoulder is kept stable. Only way of knowing is to ride something, though for me 5/6 months recovery was sufficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter