Coping Strategies for the Heat

We have a few of them, and I have to say I don't really care for the "sport" version for use in the parks. All of the others are great though! :thumbsup2

Well thank you all for your awesome suggestions. I love hearing what different people come up with! Can't wait to go this weekend, armed with all my new knowledge!

I just listened to the Disneyland episode about keeping cool in the parks. One way we've been able to keep the kids in our party hydrated is to follow the "one before and one after" rule. Before we get on a ride/attraction, we take a drink of water and, then, after the ride/attraction, we take another drink. We've done it so often now that the kids will remind us, if we forget.

I try to avoid dairy when it's really hot out. It never seems like a good idea. When I want a frozen treat, I go for the frozen banana. Same texture, but when it's time to get on a ride, I can put it in my purse and when I get off the ride, it's still a banana, not a melted puddle of goo.

Wear a straw hat (something that breathes, isn't heavy), and good summer clothes. I love wearing a dress to Disneyland in the summer, because it lets the breeze in. A little dress with a straw hat is perfect.

Go early, then at the hottest part of the day (like starting at 2:00 or so) go back to your room to rest or swim. We usually go back till around 5ish.

When you do go back to the parks, be sure to bring a sweatshirt or jacket--because it often gets cold for fireworks and after.

June is never that hot at Disneyland. July has it's heat waves and August, Sept and October can be SO hot. We were there one August when it hit 110 in the parks! Now that is a hot day a Disneyland. June has lots of morning coolness as well as a nice, cool evening. You won't really have a problem.

We found DCA is much hotter then Disneyland. Not sure why, maybe lack of trees or more outdoor lines.

Another great place to keep cool is at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We always stop in there to enjoy the show, watch the film clip and look around at all the interesting things on display there. Another relaxing thing we like to do is to go for a ride on the train around the park. The breeze is nice and its fun to watch all the people having fun in the park. I hope you have a really nice time :)

Great tip! I was in the parks last September when the temperatures were over 100 and Mr. Lincoln saved the day. It was wonderfully cool in that building, and there was even a nice cushioned bench to sit on. LOL

I'm from Arizona so I'm used to the heat, but 100 in the parks feels so much hotter for some reason. It's probably all of the bodies in one place at one time!

I just found these fans at Wal-Mart they're little bottles with a mister fan attached .. holds a decent amount of water and as long as you don't mind getting damp it does the trick with keeping you cool and the heat bearable especially if you are in a line in the sun for a little while. :)

Those little mister fans are nice. Target at times sells them in their dollar spot.

Happy misting!

hmurra75 said:
I just found these fans at Wal-Mart they're little bottles with a mister fan attached .. holds a decent amount of water and as long as you don't mind getting damp it does the trick with keeping you cool and the heat bearable especially if you are in a line in the sun for a little while. :)

We had a hot morning and i knew i needed something i got the spray bottle w the fan in the park in the first half an hr. The cashier told me that it would be the best 14 dollars i spent that day and she was soooo right. Probably should have gotten one for myself before we left but its kind of a fun park souvenier. I got my 2 year old just a little normal spay bottle for 0.98 before we left it was prefect. When he was misting over other people from his stroller he got some laughs and lots of complements !

Don't drink too much caffeinated drinks like coffee (even iced) or iced tea. The caffeine dehydrates you. Same goes for alcohol. Stick with water or non caffeinated drinks.

Older people often don't feel thirst as well and can easily get dehydrated. They may not mind the actual warmth of the air outdoors but be careful of dehydration. This is probably the number one thing to keep in mind! (Second would be sunstroke.)

A small totes brand fold up umbrella in a light or bright color to reflect the heat would work well if she doesn't mind holding it. Super easy to fold up and stick in a bag for rides, indoors, etc. I wouldn't get the automatic ones for the parks, too easy to open it on someone nearby or have an issue closing it to get on a ride. The normal open and close works well. I find hats hold the heat into your head even with a loose weave like a gardening hat. An umbrella to block the sun allows air to flow around your head.

As mentioned, light colored clothing helps too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter