• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cooler transportation suggestions at the parks without a stroller?

Allen Conway

Earning My Ears
Ok, so as annual passholder my wife and 3 kids visit the park often. Before I ask for a suggestion, I'll give one that's a nice tip and that's to bring your own food (even if from out of town - just go to the grocery and make sandwiches if you want). You will save a LOT of $$$ :thumbsup2 We have parking included in our pass and have plenty of souvenirs. Therefore we can make a weekend day trip to the parks and spend exactly $0.00 inside the park by bringing our own food, drinks, and snacks. Just the cost of gas to/from the park! As a family, we can't afford to eat $70 meals at quick server restaurants 2x a day when we go a bunch. Plus by packing, we also don't have to buy $4 bottles of water (I'll bring 12 and the cost of about $1.25 in all!)

The thing is, the last several years our kids have been small so bringing 2 larger coolers, and a couple of soft sided reusable grocery bags was simple. We usually had (2) large strollers so we could just use the strollers to move the coolers around. It worked perfectly!

However the kids are getting older now, and the use of a strollers is becoming less needed. In fact we bring just 1 stroller now and sometimes it looks odd pushing a stroller with coolers and backpacks. :p

I started to think how are we going to continue to bring our own food for lunch and dinner without a place to store the cooler and bags if we don't bring a stroller? I thought about a roll around cooler with wheels and a handle, but I haven't really seen folks do that around the parks. I could also use a backpack, but they are so small and keeping things cool with ice will be tough.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for down the road when we quit the use of strollers, and thus our transportation mechanism for coolers/food/etc.. Right now the kids are still younger so we can bring the stroller for a while, but I'd like to have a plan in case we don't want to lug a stroller around.

What do you all think are some creative ways I can still bring all this stuff but have somewhere to put it without a stroller? :thanks:

When we went in the summer, we would use a cooler backpack (Raya/Thermos brand). Granted we only kept water in them, but just ice in a baggie kept them cool even in June. Maybe you need not to think of a creative packing idea but creative ideas of food to pack. Not sure how picky the family is, but maybe there are some ideas that don't need to stay so cold. I've traveled across the country 3 times in a train (in coach!) and was able to pack many items that did not need to be refrigerated. You could pack things like uncrustables that could thaw through out the day. Snacks that don't need to be kept cold could be in another backpack. Pieces of fruit (freeze grapes to help keep other food cool), packs of nuts, granola bars, individual packs of peanut butter, packs of tuna/tuna kits, etc. Some of what you pack will depend on the time of year you go. Obviously the food will stay cooler in the winter. And although you gave up the strollers and all that goes with it, don't forget to pack the wipes to clean up!
Interested in other ideas people have for future trips!

Two large coolers and two shopping bags sounds like a lot. Unfortunately, once you stop bringing the strollers you'll have to figure out a way to reduce the amount because you won't be able to consolidate them into even larger coolers or put them on wagons or other wheeled conveyances. The list of personal items not allowed in the parks includes the following:
-Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high.
-Wagons
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

-Can you reduce to amount of food and drinks you bring? Maybe plan one meal with food from home and one meal at a CS, but choose items that are big enough be shared to reduce costs, rather than buy individual entrees for each person, and drink water.

-Bring snacks from home, but choose easily portable things and have each person carry their own snacks in a backpack.

-If you can reduce the amount of food you bring into the park, you can rent lockers for smaller sized coolers.

-Rather than bring the meals into the park, plan to leave and have a picnic outside the park instead.

So I've heard some good ideas and I'll summarize here thus far:
  • Rent a locker
  • Use a cooler backpack (I like this idea if they work) - maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-C003-Soft-Backpack-Cooler/dp/B00LGVSR0W
  • Be strategic about what types of food and size of food
  • Reduce amount of food/drinks
  • Bring food that doesn't have to be cold - uncrustables, tuna, crackers, etc.
  • Bring one meal and eat one meal at the park (I've already discussed this option too. Would solve a lot of problems because then only need to keep lunch cool and eat dinner at CS)
  • Go offsite to eat and come back to park (this I'm not so sure of because at places like MK it might be a 2 hour+ round trip: walking out of park, monorail, go to car, drive, eat, repeat process back to park)
Question on the lockers - I've been 100 times to the parks, but barely paid attentions to lockers. I know I've seen them at EPCOT and AK. Not sure of the other parks. Are there lockers in all the parks and are they difficult to get? Plans would get all messed up if we lugged stuff in for a locker and there weren't any.

Question on the lockers - I've been 100 times to the parks, but barely paid attentions to lockers. I know I've seen them at EPCOT and AK. Not sure of the other parks. Are there lockers in all the parks and are they difficult to get? Plans would get all messed up if we lugged stuff in for a locker and there weren't any.

We've looked into renting them as an option. They're located by the entrances to the parks, so you'd have to head back that way when its time to eat. There are also different sizes of lockers depending on the parks (I can't remember which park has which size.) As far as availability, I can't answer that. We're still keeping the idea on the back burner.

Another option we've considered is leaving a cooler with lunch in the car and going back to the car to eat. However, this would (IMHO) only work in AK, Epcot and DHS where the parking lot is adjacent to the entrance. There's no way it would work at MK because of the time it would take to take the monorail or ferry to the TTC and then a tram to the car, and then in reverse when we go back.

What we do is to either: 1) breakfast in the room, carry lunch with us, and then eat supper at a QS restaurant, or 2) Eat breakfast in the room, take plenty of snacks with us, eat a late lunch (around 1:30pm-2:00pm) at a QS restaurant, and then eat a late supper after we get back to the condo. We take food with us that doesn't need refridgeration and don't carry a huge meal with us. For example, i'm happy with a ham & cheese sandwich, a few chips, cookies and a drink each day. If I get hungry, snacks make up the difference.

Another option we've considered is leaving a cooler with lunch in the car and going back to the car to eat. However, this would (IMHO) only work in AK, Epcot and DHS where the parking lot is adjacent to the entrance. There's no way it would work at MK because of the time it would take to take the monorail or ferry to the TTC and then a tram to the car, and then in reverse when we go back.

Yes my thoughts exactly. The types of stuff we like to bring are sub style sandwiches with deli meat and cheese. They are filling and a nice easy option. We always get condiments from the parks so there is no mayo on the sandwiches etc.. However, the meat and cheese will get nasty if in 80+ degree weather all day without being kept cool. I think the sandwiches would be the focus of what to be kept cool by some means.

The stinker of backpacks (and I know I'm setting up a 'you can't have your cake and eat it too' situation) when not bringing a stroller is you have to take the backpacks everywhere including on the rides. With a stroller, you can toss everything on them and park before going on a ride and enjoy it without some luggage in one's lap. This issue makes me lean toward lockers as a decent solution.

How far are you from the parks? One tip if you have a freezer in your room or before you leave freeze drinks and sandwiches and just allow them to defrost. Hey presto cold food and drink without needing a cooler. Just put them in your bag. Also Frio type bags that usually hold medicine I use. You wet them and they remain cool I store my injections in them so I stick spare one of those in also.

Lockers are at every park and are located at the front. In MK they are on the right hand side right before you cross under the rail road track when you enter the park. The locker would probably fit 2 soft sided coolers stacked on top of each other. I fit my plane carry-on in one no problem.

How far are you from the parks? One tip if you have a freezer in your room or before you leave freeze drinks and sandwiches and just allow them to defrost. Hey presto cold food and drink without needing a cooler. Just put them in your bag. Also Frio type bags that usually hold medicine I use. You wet them and they remain cool I store my injections in them so I stick spare one of those in also.

Yeah we are local to the parks in FL, so freezing things ahead of time is actually a good idea and would work. How do sandwiches taste after letting them thaw? I've actually not tried that before. With water bottles I wonder if they would explode as they expand from freezing?

Lockers are at every park and are located at the front. In MK they are on the right hand side right before you cross under the rail road track when you enter the park. The locker would probably fit 2 soft sided coolers stacked on top of each other. I fit my plane carry-on in one no problem.

Do you happen to know general availability and how much they cost roughly for a day? I also assume they are the types of lockers you can use over and over vs. those lockers that once you put the key in you have to put more money in to use again.

Yeah we are local to the parks in FL, so freezing things ahead of time is actually a good idea and would work. How do sandwiches taste after letting them thaw? I've actually not tried that before. With water bottles I wonder if they would explode as they expand from freezing?

Just let a little liquid out the top and we never had one expload. The sandwiches taste good I do all my wife's sandwiches for the week for work this way. I do them on a Sunday and freeze them all. She grabs one in the morning puts it in her cooler lunch bag with some chips etc and good to go! Cheese freezes well , most meat etc.

Do you happen to know general availability and how much they cost roughly for a day? I also assume they are the types of lockers you can use over and over vs. those lockers that once you put the key in you have to put more money in to use again.

I've entered pretty late in the day (around noon) and have always been able to get a locker. Of course that is not in the busiest of times like Christmas. They have hundreds of lockers at each park if not up past a thousand or more.

They are 12 dollars but you get 5 back at the end of the day. You get a key on a bungee so you can come back and forth to the locker as you see fit. We use them because then we can dump the stuff and only come back when needed. We also use them to stash souvenirs or other stuff we don't want to carry all day. I don't find the walk to the front of the park that big of an inconvenience especially if it is to save money or to save my back.

I've entered pretty late in the day (around noon) and have always been able to get a locker. Of course that is not in the busiest of times like Christmas. They have hundreds of lockers at each park if not up past a thousand or more.

They are 12 dollars but you get 5 back at the end of the day. You get a key on a bungee so you can come back and forth to the locker as you see fit. We use them because then we can dump the stuff and only come back when needed. We also use them to stash souvenirs or other stuff we don't want to carry all day. I don't find the walk to the front of the park that big of an inconvenience especially if it is to save money or to save my back.

Yeah this idea of the lockers is really starting to grow on me a lot. Maybe 1-2 backpacks between all of us for around the park, and dump the rest of the stuff in a locker. Then we only have to bring all our stuff to the front entry and drop it off for a nice, lightweight day at the park. Plus the coolers are shaded I believe so it's not like ice inside would melt super fast. Sometimes our strollers will face the sun and the coolers ice will melt rapidly. I also wouldn't mind any walk to the front of the park.

Is there like an attendant or something where you rent the lockers, and are there lines or pretty quick? I know this sounds bad as I should know for as often as we go, but I literally walk right past them and never really paid attention.

Yeah this idea of the lockers is really starting to grow on me a lot. Maybe 1-2 backpacks between all of us for around the park, and dump the rest of the stuff in a locker. Then we only have to bring all our stuff to the front entry and drop it off for a nice, lightweight day at the park. Plus the coolers are shaded I believe so it's not like ice inside would melt super fast. Sometimes our strollers will face the sun and the coolers ice will melt rapidly. I also wouldn't mind any walk to the front of the park.

Is there like an attendant or something where you rent the lockers, and are there lines or pretty quick? I know this sounds bad as I should know for as often as we go, but I literally walk right past them and never really paid attention.

In the morning the line may be a little long but there are usually 2 people there to sell them. You buy the key at the nearest shop to the lockers and then take the key to the locker to use it. It does seem the price has gone up from when I was using them a lot and didn't realize in June. Here is the official locker information direct from the Disney website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/locker-rentals/

note the bus stop locations are coin operated and you pay each time you open. They are meant for luggage storage.

In the morning the line may be a little long but there are usually 2 people there to sell them. You buy the key at the nearest shop to the lockers and then take the key to the locker to use it. It does seem the price has gone up from when I was using them a lot and didn't realize in June. Here is the official locker information direct from the Disney website. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/locker-rentals/

note the bus stop locations are coin operated and you pay each time you open. They are meant for luggage storage.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to MK tomorrow so I'll respond back on how it goes after I rent one!

Do you really care if people look at you strangely for pushing a stroller filled with coolers and bags? I mean, if the system works then bring a stroller to carry your stuff. I rented a stroller to carry all the junk 6 teenagers wanted to leave with me when they went on rides, jackets, backpacks, etc. Why should you care what strangers think about you and your convenient strolling device.

You could always carry PB&J sandwiches, chips and snacks and get free water at QS locations and not have to deal with lockers, heavy items, etc.

Honestly I would just take a stroller for your stuff. No one will care and if they do they should have been minding their own business. It will be free and you can park it in each main area of the park - i.e. Park one place in fantasy land and ride everything there then move to adventure land etc. that is what I would do.

Ok so I was at the MK the weekend before last, and wanted to report back on this thread about the 'locker' experience.

All of the lockers in the MK are the same size and here is a picture:
MK%2BLocker%2BPic.jpg

To cut right to it, here are my pros and cons:

Pros
  • Didn't have to bring a stroller
  • Actually could squeeze in (1) 12"x12"x10"soft-sided cooler (not pictured) contrary to cast member stating it would not fit.
  • Can get into locker as many times as needed
Cons
  • Additional cost for locker $10 - locker rental itself gives $5 credit back at end of day
  • Cast member said coolers would not fit, so had to buy 'storage' for 2 coolers. $7 ea. = $14
    • Storage is basically for what they consider over-sized items. They tag them and keep in the back room and you have to ask a cast member in the area to get it out for you
    • cast members were nice and will do this as often as needed
  • In a very crowded area in front of MK with people renting motorized scooters, lockers, and gift shop so at times hard to navigate
    • people tended to linger in tight spot between scooters and locker area entrance which made getting into locker room a squeeze most of the day
  • Have to walk to front of the park each time we needed something to eat
  • Have to lug heavy cooler on shoulders to eating spot, and lug empty cooler back once done.
My conclusion? I'm still on the fence if this was better or more of a pain. It was certainly nice not to have to truck around a stroller. However, once we picked up the coolers from the front of the park and had to lug them to some place to eat and then back afterwards makes it a bit of a pain. I'm thinking about getting one of those cooler backpacks in combination with buying something like a brita filter water bottle (i.e. https://www.brita.com/water-bottles/), to cut down on the need for large coolers and try to refine this down a bit maybe this will be easier. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter