• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cool things to do Off the beaten Path

This is fun...I love to call the bakery at the resort in which I am staying and have a small cake delivered to my room...great for a birthday or first visit, but also good for "just because" The cakes run about $20, I have it delivered while we are at the parks and when we get home we have a wonderful cake with little plates and utensils. The cake ends up being our breakfast all week! Who cares... Cake For Breakfast... We are at Disney World!!!! The kids love it...even my big kids. I have ordered one at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge-White Cakes and they were both Wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah you are my kind of DIS'er. I will do this next time I am there I cant wait!!!!!!

This is fun...I love to call the bakery at the resort in which I am staying and have a small cake delivered to my room...great for a birthday or first visit, but also good for "just because" The cakes run about $20, I have it delivered while we are at the parks and when we get home we have a wonderful cake with little plates and utensils. The cake ends up being our breakfast all week! Who cares... Cake For Breakfast... We are at Disney World!!!! The kids love it...even my big kids. I have ordered one at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge-White Cakes and they were both Wonderful!!!!!!!!!

You need to read my thread about my stay at OKW:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1849384

to find out about the best cake ever.

Deb & Bill-that cake looks scrumptious! I am more of a white cake fan, but my husband would love all that chocolate! Never done the grocery store stop, but may be worth the trip. Thanks for the tip.

This is a great thread. A few years back, when the kids were young, we stayed at All Start Sports and the Disney Characters would show up early in the morning for the resort guests. The kids loved that and there were no lines.

But take a short drive (15 minutes or so) up I-4 to the Peabody Hotel. Twice a day -- call to check the times -- they have a parade of the Peabody Ducks. They bring them down from a penthouse holding area by private elevator and, to a classical march, they are paraded down a red carpet to a fountain where they spend the rest of the day. They reverse the procedure in the afternoon.

Go in the morning -- I think it's around 10 or 10:30 -- watch the ceremony and have breakfast at the hotel. It's delightful. It's also a fun chance to visit another legendary Orlando hotel. We did it a couple years ago with my in-laws and they got a big kick out of it.

This really isn't far off the beaten path, but for a different perspective on the "Wishes" fireworks, watch from Fantasyland (I'm partial to sitting on the benches across from Mrs. Potts Cupboard). You probably won't see Tinkerbelle fly, but having the fireworks explode all around you makes for an interesting experience, and less crowded too!

This really isn't far off the beaten path, but for a different perspective on the "Wishes" fireworks, watch from Fantasyland (I'm partial to sitting on the benches across from Mrs. Potts Cupboard). You probably won't see Tinkerbelle fly, but having the fireworks explode all around you makes for an interesting experience, and less crowded too!

We saw this for our first time during a MVMCP and we didn't realize it was our location and not new 360 degrees fireworks that Disney was doing!:confused3DH doesn't like these as much because he is constantly moving his head and got a stiff neck. I, on the other hand, stand and turn in circles, I think it's great!

Bobbi:)

I've been there at that time and can verify that it does happen. The night I was there, there was a CM who distracted the other gorillas by throwing them food while the other one was going in. So the fighting was minimized. The CM said it's sort of like juvenile boys-they can't get within a certain distance of each other without "having" to play push and shove.

Where is this pangani trail exactly? is it a walking path?

Yes, it is the walking trail that starts near the exit of the safari.

I don't recall it ... I guess I need to spend more time at AK. On that note, I wonder when DVC is going to provide some sort of direct-connection to AK from AKV? It's close enough to the part that you'd think they'd have a 'jungle boat' ride or something to it.

I don't recall it ... I guess I need to spend more time at AK. On that note, I wonder when DVC is going to provide some sort of direct-connection to AK from AKV? It's close enough to the part that you'd think they'd have a 'jungle boat' ride or something to it.

I wish they'd let you walk there.

This isn't really "off the path" but more of an insiders quest. I am sure many are aware of this but others may not be...

If you go to Tom Sawyer's Island in the MK - there are 6 paintbrushes randomly placed throughout the island before the park opening, daily. If you should find one, pick it up and bring it to a CM and you will receive a reward. Once they have been found/turned in each day they are not put back out so the earlier in the day you visit the island, the more likily it is to find one.

I would love a path going from AKV to AK! Dh and I enjoy walking to and from the parks (where there are paths), BCV to HS, or to Epcot. I know it's been talked about on these boards before but so far it's just wishful thinking. We can all dream. :goodvibes

I would love a path going from AKV to AK! Dh and I enjoy walking to and from the parks (where there are paths), BCV to HS, or to Epcot. I know it's been talked about on these boards before but so far it's just wishful thinking. We can all dream. :goodvibes

We need some pixiedust: :)

Maybe we should have an email campaign like for the SSR Booking Categories. :)

We are big sports people here in Louisiana and one year I was at the parks by myself...I made sure I was at Epcot on the day the Saints played in the playoffs and walked over to the ESPN club for the game. I couldn't find a table in the bar...so I made friends with some other fans that had an extra chair. I had a wonderful time-I also made sure to wear my team's hat to the parks that day. (I'm a gal-can you imagine how happy your guy will be if you plan this!)

ok...here is another one we have done lately. I have two teenage daugthers, well really one is 20. They both love Disney World, but they like to do it a little differently since they are older. At least one morning, we let them sleep late and take in a park by ourselves. Last year we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour an then met them at the pool afterward. We also take one night as adult night and let them enjoy a park while we go to Jelly Rolls to listen to the dueling pianos. They know the parks well and we feel safe letting them venture out on their own and we enjoy some private time as well.

ok...here is another one we have done lately. I have two teenage daugthers, well really one is 20. They both love Disney World, but they like to do it a little differently since they are older. At least one morning, we let them sleep late and take in a park by ourselves. Last year we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour an then met them at the pool afterward. We also take one night as adult night and let them enjoy a park while we go to Jelly Rolls to listen to the dueling pianos. They know the parks well and we feel safe letting them venture out on their own and we enjoy some private time as well.

Jelly Rolls is definitely one of my favorites for an off the beaten path activity. Missed it on the last trip unfortunately.

Another one I thought of since my last post is to take advantage of the outdoor BBQ sites at DVC resorts. That can be a lot of fun.

I always wanted to go to Jelly Rolls, but they allow smoking inside so we never go in b/c we don't want to smell it (and smell like it!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter