Cooking my First Thanksgiving

MrsDuck

DIS Veteran
I know, I'm early. BUT, this year I volunteered to host Thanksgiving for the family... it will small enough (my parents, DH, and I plus his grandma and possibly two family friends) but the PRESSURE IS ON.

I'm a relatively inexperienced cook and am on the look out for any tips, tricks, or no-fail recipes that the DIS has!

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

Try to find recipes for side dishes that you can make the day before and then just heat up the day of. Most casserole type dishes are easy to do this way. I have recipes for green bean casserole, corn casserole, and sweet potato casserole that I make every thanksgiving. If you are interested let me know and I'll post them.

Try to find recipes for side dishes that you can make the day before and then just heat up the day of. Most casserole type dishes are easy to do this way. I have recipes for green bean casserole, corn casserole, and sweet potato casserole that I make every thanksgiving. If you are interested let me know and I'll post them.

This! :thumbsup2

Unless you have 2-3 full size kitchens you have easy access to and can prepare everything all at once.

Make everything you can in advance. Most of the dishes can at least be assembled the day before or more. How large is your oven? I've been making my turkey in a roaster (Walmart for about $35 or so). It frees up the oven for everything else and it's easy to use and does a great job cooking turkey.

Get a good meat thermometer that you can leave in the bird while it is cooking. It's useful for cooking everything, not just turkey so it's nice to have on hand.

The cooking bags really are a nice, easy way to do a turkey, especially for a beginner. Just follow the directions on the bag (usually have to add a tablespoon or so of flour or cornstarch to keep the bag from sticking is all).

Ask guests to bring some of the food if that is done in your family.

Turkeys generally do not have a lot of drippings so I get a jar of turkey gravy to augment the drippings if you like a lot of gravy at your house.

Clean up as you go so there are fewer dishes to do afterwards.

I bet you will get many different answers as "traditional" dishes seem to vary greatly in different areas on the country.

I have cooked our entire Thanksgiving meal many times myself and there is usually enough food to feed an army but its meant for anywhere from 10-20 people.

First, the turkey. We either roast it or fry it. I prefer fry but it shrinks up the bird so not always great to do with a large group unless you do more than one bird or have another kind of meat you are serving. DH purchased an oil-less fryer last year and it is WONDERFUL. And is probably how we will fix a turkey this year. If I roast the bird, I don't stuff it. I wash it, salt and pepper and poultry seasoning in the cavity, and add a cut up apple, onion and celery and put in the cavity. I butter the outside of the turkey and put some chicken broth in the bottom of the roasting pan, cover and roast for the recommended amount of time.

Dressing--we do not eat stuffing but we do have dressing with our turkey. A pone of cornbread (when making the cornbread, I add some onions and celery, poultry seasoning and chicken broth to it before baking). Break up the cornbread into crumbs, add onion and celery that you have cooked in bacon fat, chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. Sometimes I add the meat from a chicken. The mixture needs to be "soupy". Pour into a baking dish and bake until crispy on top. Some people add less "stuff" and it still comes out good. Some folks add more and it comes out good.

I love to make my own cranberry sauce. I put the cranberries in a pot and add a little water and a cup or so of sugar and let it cook until the berries pop open. I will then adjust the sugar to make it sweet and more syrupy. And I add some orange peel and a little orange juice. When it cools it jells up.

Everything else is going to depend on what veggies and sides you like. Lots of folks have to have mac and cheese at Thanksgiving. We don't. But we do have to have dumplings. That was weird to me when I married dh. To me it was chicken and dumplings and it was a meal by itself. But his family always has dumplings (made in the broth of the chicken but no chicken is usually in it). Now I make it every time too.

My family makes several different casseroles--broccoli and cheese, corn, sweet potato and usually a new one that someone has found a recipe for. Dh's family has veggies from the garden---butter beans, peas, etc. and a couple of casseroles.

Holiday cooking is my favorite kind of cooking to do. So enjoy!!

Oh, and the desserts! There are many great recipes that are no-cook and make some really wonderful desserts. I would go for those. The only thing I have to cook is a pecan pie for dd and sweet potato for ds. Other than that they tend to be no cook.

Deleted my original response since I read your original post and realized you were hosting.

Defrosting the turkey takes longer than you think! I have had mine in the fridge for days and still had to give it a cool water bath to finish several times!

I never have a big problem with only one oven. When the turkey is done I slide the sides in the oven...
dressing, veggies for roasting, and last year I put in a couple of acorn squash. I could have used more room for squash tho I guess. But it gives the turkey time to rest before carving and the sides take 40 minutes to an hour and the turkey is perfect then.

Potatoes on the stovetop along with homemade noodles.

Turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
homemade noodles
stuffing
roasted veggies
acorn squash with butter and brown sugar
rolls
Oh yeah I do mac n cheese on the stovetop for my picky eater too.

I guess I would say that's my go to these days. I think a friend brought green bean casserole last year.

Maybe some deviled eggs and for desert Paula Deen's pumpkin cheesecake recipe.

Try not to stress and ask for help when needed. My hubby is the sous chef/dishwasher while I cook. Him keeping up on dishes is the only think that keeps things from being total chaos! Have fun!

Turkeys take a loooooooooong time to thaw.

LOL. I still use the "cold water" method of thawing. The whole day before Thanksgiving, "Tom" takes the whole right hand side of my sink. I change water out every hour or so and cover the still-wrapped bird with a tea towel. Because that's what Mom did -- still don't know why.

The one time I tried to thaw it in the fridge it was still frozen solid after 4 days in the fridge. Never again.

Turkeys take a loooooooooong time to thaw.

Right. Google "Alton Brown Romancing the bird" fool proof. Ask for help if you need it. Electric knifes are wonderful for Turkeys.

Kae

You can always cook potatoes in a crockpot and free up the top of the stove.

I agree about the turkey always taking longer than they say it will.

Set your dining room table the night before and make sure you have enough serving dishes. Get them out now so you can buy some if you need to.

I know, I'm early. BUT, this year I volunteered to host Thanksgiving for the family... it will small enough (my parents, DH, and I plus his grandma and possibly two family friends) but the PRESSURE IS ON.

I'm a relatively inexperienced cook and am on the look out for any tips, tricks, or no-fail recipes that the DIS has!

1. Do your shopping before Wednesday night. The stores are crazy busy. Make sure to take a shopping list with every little thing you need on it. Invest in a meat thermometer if you don't have one.

2. Plan your meal out and write it all down by time. If you think you need to put the turkey in a 4am and the yams in at 11am, write it on the list. Follow the list. And never tell people what time you think the food will be done---I say "We start about 10am and go until whenever"--so if the turkey is taking longer to cook, or the first batch of gravy burns, you have time to deal with it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/s...thanksgiving+menu&form=global&_charset_=utf-8

3. Never defrost a turkey on the counter. In the fridge is best (and remember, it takes a long time to thaw) or you can do it in a tub or sink (I have an old drink cooler---an orange one from McDonalds--that the turkey fits in perfectly, with a heavy lid on top. Keep the turkey in an ice bath to thaw. Food safety--read up on it!

4. There are a lot of recipes out there to follow. I highly suggest Alton Brown's turkey recipe--his brine is pretty awesome.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html (I don't add the aromatics, because of #5)

5. Don't oil-fry the turkey. Leave that for a professional. Too dangerous!
I have an oil-less fryer that I use for my turkey. Crispy skin all the way around. Uses propane and needs to be done outside.

6. If you don't have a lot of space, serve off your counters out of the cooking dishes. Don't get caught up in the "must be in a beautiful serving dish on the table" nonsense that just makes more dishes.

My typical T-day menu:

Appetizers:
veggies and dips
crackers, cheese and sliced meats (pepperoni, salami, beef summer sausage, etc)

Meal:
Turkey
Cornbread stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Rolls (usually Pillsbury crescent rolls, but I have some brown n serve rolls on hand in case we need them--and we usually do!)

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie

So my time line goes like this:

2 days before (Tuesday):
Turkey thawing
All shopping done

Wednesday:
Bake pies (3 pumpkin, 1 pecan)
Make cranberry sauce
Chop onion/celery for stuffing
Make cornbread for stuffing (say what you will, I love Jiffy Cornbread for this. I add sage and thyme to the batter. I usually make 4-5 boxes, in batches/)
Brine turkey

Thurs:
Put turkey in fryer
Cut and soak potatoes (we have to do this to leach out the potassium for DH)

Make appetizer trays
Make stuffing, put in fridge

When turkey is 30 minutes from being cooked
Put potatoes on to boil
Put stuffing in the oven
Make the rolls
Parboil brussel sprouts in potato water (after potatoes are cooked)

When the turkey is pulled, covered and resting
Make mashed potatoes
Put brussel sprouts in oven to brown
Make gravy

Carve turkey

Make a plan and figure out how you are going to cook what and when etc. Set your table, get all of your serving dishes and serving utensils out and ready to go.

I make:

Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Pan roasted brussel sprouts
creamed spinach
candied carrots
corn (I microwave this so not much juggling to do here)
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potato casserole

I have a pan with some vegetables, the innards and chicken broth simmering on low the whole time which I baste with then use for gravy.

The morning of I make the sweet potatoes, put some stuffing in the bird before it goes in the oven and put the rest of the stuffing in a casserole. I refrigerate this and take it out two hours before the bird is done to come to room temp. I start a pan with some vegetables, the innards and LOTS of chicken broth simmering on low the whole time which I baste with then use for gravy.

About an hour before the bird is done I start my vegetables (I have a big oven with 6 burners which makes it easier and I prep the veggies the day before.) So I will have a pan with the spinach, a pot with the carrots, a pan with the brussel sprouts, the pan of broth and a pot with potatoes in it. Everything but the potatoes I cook till just about done then turn off and let sit.

When the turkey comes out I let it sit for at least 30 minutes. At this point I put the stuffing and sweet potato casserole in the oven and start to boil the water for the mashed potatoes. I then make gravy with the drippings and leave that on the stove.

When the potatoes are ready I mash while DH carves the turkey. I fire up and "reheat" everything on the stove, pull my casseroles, put everything into bowls and we sit to eat.

I would start making your menu early (it can always be tweaked). Note what has to be cooked in the oven and how long, what has to be cooked on the stove top and what has to go in the fridge. That way you can coordinate how to make it all come together.

You need to know how big your turkey will be. Do you have a roaster that size? Will something else fit in the oven with your turkey? (put the roaster in your oven and see if one of your casserole dishes or pans will fit in with it) And like a pp said, you can always slide something in during the turkey's cooking time. Also, the turkey needs to rest awhile before you slice it so other things can cook then.

I tend to do prep the day before but most of the cooking that day. Desserts can be done ahead. We tend to have several to get in everyone's favorites.

All have given great tips--especially the thawing and meat thermometer.

I cook our turkeys in Reynolds turkey bags and I add way more seasoning than most recipes call for. Add that rosemary to the cavities! I cook the turkey in the bag (in a roasting pan-disposable can be used with a cookie sheet under for support); breast side down for the first 3 hours and then CAREFULLY (HOT) turn over to brown the breast for 35 minutes. The skin still won't be that crispy, but it's tender and well flavored. Btw, my turkey is 20 pounds and up so you won't be cooking as long.

RELAX ! This is a holiday about being together. Buy some jar gravy just in case. Frozen Sister Schubert rolls are quick and yummy. Nobody is judging. Worst case, you end up in Denny's or ordering pizza.

And finally, most menus have more food than necessary. It's taken me 20+ years of marriage to realize we don't need all the crudites, deviled eggs, pickles, jello...etc. I do a simpler meal. Turkey, potatoes, stuffing (dressing), gravy, salad, another vegetable, cranberries, olives, bread and then dessert.

Be sure and keep us posted on what you pick to cook. Always on the lookout for more recipes.

Saw some great responses on here!:thumbsup2
Make sure that you leave plenty of time to thaw your turkey in a refrigerator over SEVERAL DAYS! Turkeys TAKE A LONG TIME!
NEVER leave a turkey out to thaw on a counter!
Make casserole dishes in advance, like green bean casserole, sweet potatoe casserole.
If you are serving a salad, make that in advance too!
Desserts can all be made in advance, pies, etc.
ENJOY! Solicit HELP from husband!!!:cheer2::thumbsup2

I love to bake and cook but Thanksgiving dinner can be a lot of work. For me, I am okay with taking a few shortcuts. Pumpkin pie is not difficult but Costco sells a large one very inexpensively. I also buy homemade gravy from a local small grocery store.

By taking a few shortcuts, it frees me up for any potential problems or gives me more time to socialize with my family.

And not to freak you out but unplanned circumstances can arise. Last year, the day before Christmas Eve, the water main on my street broke and left me with no running water, by having a few prepared items on hand I was able to keep on my schedule and still prepare a nice meal.

Good luck!

Its funny everyone has mentioned thawing the turkey. I have NEVER been able to get one to thaw in the fridge. Because we used to fry our's so often, it had to be completely free of ice crystals. I could never even get one to be all the way UNFROZEN in the fridge but less just have to rinse off ice crystals! I buy the turkey a week ahead and its still partially frozen! I don't have the fridge space to have it any longer that that!

I always use a water bath. I let it thaw until Wednesday in the fridge and then put it in a water bath either in my sink or in a tub and change the water out constantly.

I didn't have so much luck when I tried brining!

Since I like to think that I am a decent cook, my thoughts are not really for the inexperienced cook. But, here are a couple of my tips.

I make home-made dressing.... IMHO, I love the Spice Islands Gourmet Blend Poultry Seasoning. This stuff is so good. I have tried others, like Bell, and nothing comes close. Many are just mostly cheap black pepper. (yuck!) I make a good home-made southern cornbread. dice it up... dice up some bread... Simmer some celery and onions in turkey/chicken broth. Plenty of salt. Fold all together so that the mixture is very wet, but not just 'dripping'. (A strainer-colander could be used if one needs to drain a little excess liquid)

I make GREAT pumpkin pies, with made from scratch home-made crust. HINT: A shortening that has some meat fat/tallow and is not all-vegetable makes all the difference! The recipe on Libby's Pumpkin is a good start. I add some extra brown sugar and way more spice than it calls for. Makes a delicious pie!

To make gravy, if one is roasting a turkey, and you will not have to use jarred, dissolve the corn-starch in cool water. Then slowly add it to the meat juices and bring just to a simmer. Adding your starch directly to hot liquids is what will give you the 'lumps' when it cooks and thickens quickly on contact.

For rolls, I really like the Mary B's yeast rolls (RED package). These are really soft and sweet and yeasty, like the homemade breads we used to make. Where the Sister Schuberts are more like just standard bread rolls. (one's preference might dictate here.)

Another tip is the timing.
When cooking any meal, I am always aware of what has the longest cooking time, and what can come off the stove/oven first and 'rest' or 'cure'. It makes the process work more like a real system if things are pre-prepared, then are started cooking, in the most efficient order.

Happy Thanksgiving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter