Cooking in your room???

meeksx5

Earning My Ears
This is my first on site stay at Disney. We are staying at the All Stars Movie Resort. I have seen swaps with toasters mentioned. I am pretty sure that cooking in the rooms are not allowed but hey when you are on a budget you do what you have to do. ;) That being said I was wondering if anytone had ever taken a small microwave? I was just thinking of all the frozen stuff I could reheat in the microwave. Anyone with suggestions .... toaster vs microwave.

Just use the toaster and microwave in the food courts. I guess my next question is how do you plan on storing all your frozen food?

This is my first on site stay at Disney. We are staying at the All Stars Movie Resort. I have seen swaps with toasters mentioned. I am pretty sure that cooking in the rooms are not allowed but hey when you are on a budget you do what you have to do. ;) That being said I was wondering if anytone had ever taken a small microwave? I was just thinking of all the frozen stuff I could reheat in the microwave. Anyone with suggestions .... toaster vs microwave.

With that in mind if I think something is not allowed I don't do it. Just like with my kids if they know a rule but follow you do what you have to does not result is good things.

If you are new to the boards:welcome:

Warning: Given your post count and topic you should be prepared to be labled a troll given you already stated you don't care about the rules.

Denise in MI

Thanks powellrj! I wasn't sure how the Disney resort would feel if I used their microwave to heat up a Hot Pocket or something of that nature.Are the microwaves and toasters in an area that is available to visitors at most times. Suppose my DD2 wants a snack at 9:00? I really didn't want to cook in our rooms but I didn't want to get ugly looks for obviously being a cheapie when using the toaster or microwave to heat my grocery store bought breakfast/lunch.

Gosh, pretty harsh post ... to be called a troll.:sad1: lol The reason I said that was I had actually read that someone had take a microwave and cooked in their room. Or perhaps it was the family in the room next complaining of the food smells wafting from the room next door. I was more curious about the availability of toasters and microwave at the resort. I didn't know if a guest could use them to heat or reheat non Disney purchased food.

Gosh, pretty harsh post ... to be called a troll.:sad1: lol The reason I said that was I had actually read that someone had take a microwave and cooked in their room. Or perhaps it was the family in the room next complaining of the food smells wafting from the room next door. I was more curious about the availability of toasters and microwave at the resort. I didn't know if a guest could use them to heat or reheat non Disney purchased food.

You sure can use them! Much better than potentially smelling up a whole block of rooms, don't you think?;)

I have to ask, how do you plan on keeping your hot pockets frozen? Do some of the swap fridges have freezers too?:confused3

You sure can use them! Much better than potentially smelling up a whole block of rooms, don't you think?;)

I have to ask, how do you plan on keeping your hot pockets frozen? Do some of the swap fridges have freezers too?:confused3

The fridge I had waaaaaay back when I was pregnant with ds trip (so, 8.5 years ago!) my fridge had a small (and I mean SMALL!!!) freezer ... it was the width of the fridge, but about 6 or 8" tall...

Our little fridge has a freezer compartment. Sounds like the one that r&kmommy had. And again all this is speculation as far as keeping things frozen... I wonder if the freezer and cooler with blocks of ice will work. If not, can dry ice keep food frozen? lol

I believe it is a fire hazard with the electrical ampage or something. If you remotely realize it isn't allowed, why would "you do what you have to do" when on a budget and knowingly break the rule. You would be in for a big budget buster if they catch you and throw you out.. no refunds either for having to be removed from the resort.. I would add that figure into my budget while taking my microwave...

Dear OP,

The topic of cooking in one's room is a sensitive subject because there are those guests who think that Disney's rules are negotiable/suggestions/don't apply to them. The cast members will not hassle you for using the toasters and microwaves in the food court. The problem of keeping your food frozen is something to consider - you don't want to mess around with dry ice. The way I handle traveling on a budget is to eat like a miser while I am at home and increase the food portion of my vacation budget so that I can eat out two meals a day and eat breakfast in the room. There are TONS of threads on these boards about how to eat well at WDW on a budget.

There's always those microwavable meals that don't have to be frozen. You can take them over to the food court, cook them up over there and not worry about storing perishable foods in your room that could cause smell issues and attract insects.

Rather than frozen foods, think about shelf-stable foods or foods you can keep in the fridge for inexpensive meals and snacks. I would take peanut butter and jelly, cold cuts, cheese, bread, fruit, granola bars, cold cereal and milk, crackers, etc. You can even take canned soups or Easy Mac and use the food court microwaves to heat them. If it's the same layout as Pop, the microwaves are not located in the area where people are choosing and buying food. They're near the drink dispensers and condiment bars. It would be really easy to walk in and use a microwave with no problem. I doubt anyone would even notice what you were heating or realize you hadn't bought it there. The food courts are very busy and people are focused on getting their own food together.

Thanks for the post MEM. I just figured out what OP stood for. lol Still trying to learn the language on this board. :lmao: dzorn listed a thread that had previously been posted along the same lines as my question. I had no idea that people on this board had such strong oppinions on the matter. I was asking an honest question and got honest answers from both sides and I do appreciate them. I also think I was sadly misunderstood but that's ok. Perhaps I worded my question improperly and for that I am sorry. I was just on the lookout for some budget friendly was to eat at Disney without leaving the park and without having reservations... I think you call them ADR?? :laughing: In any case I am happy to get help on the board from anyone who would like to help. And really looking forward to our first onsite and more than one day visit.

hahahahahahahaha

This has been done TO DEATH!

Do a search for 'microwave' or 'toaster', make a bag, no, a bucket of popcorn, sit back and read for HOURS.

:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter