Convincing a Deluxe snob that moderate is just as good

I am going to add my vote for the WL. I like AKL too, but it seems so far away from everything. We felt like we were on the bus forever. I think the WL is very relaxing. It is just a boat ride away from the MK, but feels very removed from the craziness.

I know we are snobs... :rolleyes1

I just blame it on my DW... she is high maintenance... :hug:

All but one deluxe hotel has "special" transportation to at least one theme park. Monorail. Boat. Walk. You can see part of a theme park from at least one spot in almost every deluxe hotel. I don't think you can see the AK from the AKL but you can see animals.

Moderate and value hotels offer bus transportation to the theme parks.

A balcony can be a nice place to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning and an adult drink the evening.

JMO but I see a bigger difference between deluxe and moderae then between moderate and value.

I guess what I'm saying is....I don't think a deluxe "snob" will be happy in a moderate resort. I think it's more like a moderate "fan" would accept a value resort, if the savings were enough. A deluxe hotel offers far more amenities then either a value or moderate resort, for guests looking for a resort experience. I'd consider the Swan/Dolphin if you're looking for a deluxe experience but want to save a few dollars.

You could not be more correct! On the up side, this is no longer a problem for me since she chose to end our friendship and not tell me why. I didn't realize how many of our vacations, were all about what she wanted and nothing I wanted.

In other good news, some old friends of mine have popped up again, and are completely in favor of going to WDW and DLR and staying anywhere we both want!:banana::banana::dance3:

I do LOVE deluxe resorts, but I would like to experience other resorts without selling my kidneys on the black market.

Look, to say that the Mods are "just as good" just isn't reality. To say that the Mods are nice and you can save some coin is valid. But if money isn't a factor, than I don't think your argument holds any weight. Maybe the way to go is discuss that the Mods are still really good and talk about what else you could do with that money. But if you take money out of the equation comparing Mods to Deluxes isn't really fair.

I agree:thumbsup2

The beds (except for CSR) are full sized, not queen. That aside we were Deluxe fans, but back in 2000 we opted for two Moderate stays to save some money and go twice a year instead of Deluxe once a year. Didn't work out, but on the last Moderate stay (CBR) we toured DVC and bought into that. Now I go three or four times a year. :thumbsup2

Actually this is wrong, POFQ has queen beds too. POR is also getting remodeled with Queen beds as well. So the only moderate with Full size beds will be CBR.

I also want to mention our deluxe snob family stayed at CBR twice and I slept great and it was very quiet. I'm a very light sleeper. We actually have had more noise at the deluxe resorts. Pop is the loudest resort ever and I only lasted 1 night there because I couldn't sleep.

You could not be more correct! On the up side, this is no longer a problem for me since she chose to end our friendship and not tell me why. I didn't realize how many of our vacations, were all about what she wanted and nothing I wanted.

In other good news, some old friends of mine have popped up again, and are completely in favor of going to WDW and DLR and staying anywhere we both want!:banana::banana::dance3:

I do LOVE deluxe resorts, but I would like to experience other resorts without selling my kidneys on the black market.

Mickeyflower,

Wow...sounds like you're probably going to be just fine now - glad you have some other more agreeable friends to enjoy DLR and WDW with!

Have fun!

I think I will try to convince her on Wilderness Lodge. I can't believe how much cheaper it is! So wierd! Thank you all for your great advice.

To answer a few questions, she isn't so much a light sleeper as a non sleeper. She has some pretty sever battles with insomnia where she will go days at a time only sleeping a couple of broken hours a night. Lucky for her, I am a quiet, but sound sleeper and she can turn on the TV, I won't even stir! Makes me wonder if I'd wake to a Fire Alarm:eek:!! We would much rather close the park than open it.

GF is a dream to go to! I hope I can convince her that we can still go there, and save long term for the dream vacation of GF during the holidays! I may not have the world in my back yard, but I do have DL in my back yard! At least I can feed my need on a regular basis!:banana::rotfl2::rotfl2:

If you live in So. Cal. then you can take her to the Grand Californian to show her - it's very similar to WL. I think that the GC is smaller in scale, but similar mountain theme. I used to live in So. Cal. and eating at the Grand Californian was one place that felt "Disney.".

I can't see how a moderate is just as good as a deluxe. Maybe I'm a resort snob, too. :lmao:

I agree. I can't see how either ---and the reason is because it's NOT as good as a deluxe. Everything from the bedding, to the towels to the toilet paper is better quality at a deluxe.

I agree. I can't see how either ---and the reason is because it's NOT as good as a deluxe. Everything from the bedding, to the towels to the toilet paper is better quality at a deluxe.

:scared1: I had no idea WDW was TP prejudiced! :rotfl: What must the TP at a Value resort be like? Sand Paper? :eek::rotfl2:

We typically stay at the mods, primarily due to the price. While we have stayed at the deluxe, I really do prefer the mods. (Just FYI, I didn't see a TP difference ... but I'm not a smarta**) I guess the best reason for our choosing the mods is that we are pragmatic, and respectful of the money we earn. All the resorts at Disney are special, and some are really beautiful, (POR is my all time fave for this!), but the reason we go to WDW is the parks. We stay on property for the convenience, and, yes, there are some longer rides, perhaps smaller beds, food courts vs. restaurants, etc. BUT ... there is also less stuffiness, pretentiousness, and COST. That said, if a deluxe is necessary, we did like AKL ... fun waking up to see what animals we would see while drinking our coffee, and it is a visually stunning resort ... but I did like POR better. Regardless, I hope you get there soon, and have a fabulous trip!

:blush: Count me in the mods-aren't-as-nice-as-Deluxes club. There is no way the POR compares to the AKL. No way, no how. :laughing:

OP: sorry about your friend but glad you have new/old friends to travel with. :goodvibes

I'm almost 100% sure the toilet paper is the same. I don't think there is a significant difference with the towels, sheets or even mattresses. Do the Disney deluxe hotels even triple sheet? The moderates are going from full size beds to queen size beds.

I've only stayed at one moderate (CSR) and it had its good points. We liked the landscaping and the theme pool a lot. The cast members were very nice. But the deluxe things I missed, I really missed. We like a room with a balcony, no matter where we stay. (We do the same on cruise ships.) We don't like outdoor hallways at CSR very much. DH hated the food court. We prefer some fine dining options where we're staying. We didn't care for the sprawl of the buildings and the distance from some rooms to the bus stops. We like a lobby that has some public space for sitting and appreciating the atmosphere, like at GF or AKL or WL. Once we realized that you could get into WL or AKL during value season, which is when we normally visit, for only a little more than a moderate, we were not likely to return to moderates. Also, DH gets so little vacation time and sometimes has to cancel trips due to work, sp I like to make sure the time he does get is extra special. If we could stay for two weeks, I might think about staying at a moderate or buying into DVC, but our visits are usually 3-5 days, so we try to make the most of what time we've got.

I don't think this makes me a resort snob and I've never sensed that the deluxes are stuffy. Most cast members have been lovely and gracious no matter where we stayed, with the exception of one desk clerk at the Poly and I would say several other Poly CMs more than made up for her shortcomings. As for other patrons, I generally don't talk to the other guests too much, but I haven't observed them being any snootier or impatient with CMs than other Disney visitors.

Could you convince me to try another moderate? Probably. I'd love to have stayed in every WDW resort. Am I going to find a moderate better appointed or more luxurious than a deluxe? Probably not, but some moderates will have some traits that are better than some deluxes. For example, my son doesn't like sand, so he would like the theme pool at CSR better than SAB, hands down. In terms of transportation, the bus ride from most moderates to the theme parks--- with the obvious exception of AK--- is better than AKL's. People like what they like and choose what's best for them.

The bedding may be nicer but as far as the beds go, I don't know why but the beds at CSR are much more comfortable than those at any deluxe or DVC villa we've stayed in on our Disney trips.

We resort snobs are SNOBS for a reason;) The entire atmosphere is different at a Deluxe and that is evident upon walking into the lobby. :cloud9: To me, there is no comparison, and that is why we've done Deluxes the last 3 trips and I do not forsee us ever going Moderate again. We love the total package...we work hard all year long and we want luxury for our vacation. Disney gives us just that, on a silver platter!:flower3:

Our 3 resort rotation is Poly, WL and POR. Seriously, when we stay at POR we really do feel like we are staying at a deluxe, the rooms there are just as nice as WL. The theming is outstanding, we absolutely love the place.

Sadly you may never convince them, but you may get them to change their mind based on the financial aspect.

We typically stay at the mods, primarily due to the price. While we have stayed at the deluxe, I really do prefer the mods. (Just FYI, I didn't see a TP difference ... but I'm not a smarta**) I guess the best reason for our choosing the mods is that we are pragmatic, and respectful of the money we earn. All the resorts at Disney are special, and some are really beautiful, (POR is my all time fave for this!), but the reason we go to WDW is the parks. We stay on property for the convenience, and, yes, there are some longer rides, perhaps smaller beds, food courts vs. restaurants, etc. BUT ... there is also less stuffiness, pretentiousness, and COST. That said, if a deluxe is necessary, we did like AKL ... fun waking up to see what animals we would see while drinking our coffee, and it is a visually stunning resort ... but I did like POR better. Regardless, I hope you get there soon, and have a fabulous trip!

:thumbsup2 I agree! POR is our fave resort of all, be it mod or deluxe (can't speak to a value as we've never stayed in one.) We even preferred POR over WL during our split stay last summer. We're staying at the Poly (in 8 days!!! :banana: :banana:) this time as a splurge, but our next trip will be back "home" at POR. We're usually just way too practical and frugal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter