Convinced the hubby he won't die on the flight to Disneyland. A May PTR

4 weeks tomorrow. I'm getting a little jittery:hyper:

I've been reading the Disboards about the ride closures at Disneyland. In case some of you haven't been reading Disboards Disneyland board 13 times a day (as I have), you may not know what's been going on.

So, I think as of today, Space Mountain and Soarin are closed indefinitely, Big Thunder Mountain is under refurb until about October, Matterhorn will be closed for 2 weeks for refurb soon, and other rides such as Toy Story Mania have been closed on and off over the last few days. Disney has been fined for some Health and Safety issues, so need to get some of these rides fixed.

I wish I didn't have this problem (reading everything I can about Disneyland) because I am stressing about what major rides will be down while we're there. The kids and I discuss which rides we're looking forward to, but I'd like to know ahead of time so we can all be prepared.

Also deciding when to go to Knotts Berry farm. We've never been, so I think it would be good for something different. The big log ride has apparently been closed for refurb for months and they plan to have it open for Summer. I just read that it's supposed to open on May 30th. Just not sure whether to wait till its open and go with all the locals in the first day or so its open, or go the week before and miss this (apparently) great ride.

Oh my, poor me. I have so many problems:)

We leave in 20 days, but not arriving at DL until May 20. I've been reading the same threads as you, we will all be very sad if Soarin or Screamin are closed. DD#3 loves Soarin and she is finally tall enough for Screamin. Was reading earlier that it has also been closed for similar reasons.

Both Space and Soarin were on the calendar as refurbs for May, but they are gone now - fingers crossed!

Here's to having the issues all ironed out and fixed at DLR for all you May travellers. :cheer2:

3 weeks tomorrow:banana:
It's just been officially released that Disneyland (and WDW) are having a 24 hour Monstrous Summer party while we are there. While this was just speculation, I had decided that we probably wouldn't go that day because of all the trouble they had on their last 24 hour day.
Now that they've released the details, I think I've changed my mind! There will be special merchandise (you know I'll be in that), the Monster University gang, and characters in their PJ's. How exciting. Even if we just plan to see what's going on with no plan to buy, eat, ride etc, it should be fun. Don't think we'll be there at 6am, or until 6am though.
Busy Busy has me thinking that I should get my suitcases out soon, but I think I'll put it off as long as possible. It'll be fully packed and zipped tonight if I start now!

I'm subbing to this. Your family reminds me so much of my own from only wanting to fly V Australia, to the position and configuration of our plane seats this time around :cool1:

Our first trip in 2010 was very similar to yours with Anaheim, San Diego, Santa Monica, Vegas & San Fran.

Now we're heading to the East Coast in August and spending 4 weeks visiting NY, Washington, WDW, Orlando (outside of Disney) and LA.

I look forward to further updates :thumbsup2

Hi vnuzz:wave2:
One day we might get to the East coast. Chatting to my hubby about the next couple of holidays, he may be prepared to do the East Coast in the 5-6 year bracket!! I guess I can wait that long! Maybe when the kids are old enough not to come with us:cool1:

Hi vnuzz:wave2:
One day we might get to the East coast. Chatting to my hubby about the next couple of holidays, he may be prepared to do the East Coast in the 5-6 year bracket!! I guess I can wait that long! Maybe when the kids are old enough not to come with us:cool1:

Hahaha as long as its planted in their minds it's possible! I had no trouble convincing my hubby, we've been hanging to get back,to the states since the day we arrived home in 2010 - now it's finally happening :cool1: Although I must admit that I'm funding the planning for WDW much more daunting tha. Disneyland was :rotfl:

2 weeks tomorrow:yay:

Today we have been out and bought 4 nice, big, cheap stripy bags (you know the ones...we call them stripy homeless bags!). We will take our trusty duffel bag that we purchased at Barstow in about 1999, and 3 other suitcases. The stripy bags will lie flat in the bottom of these bags until we fill them to the brim with our shopping!!

Hubby has also been online today to look at re-activating our US Tracphones from our last trip. We discussed whether we'd do this again or buy a travel sim. I just looked back through the wonderful thread on the Aussie board about everyone's views on travel sims etc, and decided we'd just go with the Tracphones again. Not sure if we'll buy 2 more for the kids to carry or not (9 and 12 year old boys)

Another catch up tomorrow night with our traveling buddies. Will confirm with them that they have their ESTAs under control. They were relying on their travel agent, but I wouldn't be leaving it in their hands (I used to be a travel agent:rotfl2:)

Now I need to do some trinket shopping for both the boys (we always make a bag for the plane with small toys, a book etc and snacks) and the staff at the Hojo. They have been wonderful and have had to sign for all of my parcels, so I thought I'd make them up a little parcel of Aussie stuff they can share. Probably lollies/chocolates etc. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

That's where I'm at. Struggling not getting out the bags and starting to pack. Maybe next weekend.

2 weeks tomorrow:yay:

Today we have been out and bought 4 nice, big, cheap stripy bags (you know the ones...we call them stripy homeless bags!). We will take our trusty duffel bag that we purchased at Barstow in about 1999, and 3 other suitcases. The stripy bags will lie flat in the bottom of these bags until we fill them to the brim with our shopping!!

Hubby has also been online today to look at re-activating our US Tracphones from our last trip. We discussed whether we'd do this again or buy a travel sim. I just looked back through the wonderful thread on the Aussie board about everyone's views on travel sims etc, and decided we'd just go with the Tracphones again. Not sure if we'll buy 2 more for the kids to carry or not (9 and 12 year old boys)

Another catch up tomorrow night with our traveling buddies. Will confirm with them that they have their ESTAs under control. They were relying on their travel agent, but I wouldn't be leaving it in their hands (I used to be a travel agent:rotfl2:)

Now I need to do some trinket shopping for both the boys (we always make a bag for the plane with small toys, a book etc and snacks) and the staff at the Hojo. They have been wonderful and have had to sign for all of my parcels, so I thought I'd make them up a little parcel of Aussie stuff they can share. Probably lollies/chocolates etc. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

That's where I'm at. Struggling not getting out the bags and starting to pack. Maybe next weekend.

The Vic Market is great for Aussie souvenirs. There is a stall there where you can get 5 items for about $10 or $15.

Tim Tams are great as well.

Enjoy the countdown.

I'll second the Tim Tams, my Pop mousekeeper loved them and the clip on koala I gave her. Now they do smaller packets of Tim Tams you could buy a few different ones and maybe some vegemite just for fun!

I'll second the Tim Tams, my Pop mousekeeper loved them and the clip on koala I gave her. Now they do smaller packets of Tim Tams you could buy a few different ones and maybe some vegemite just for fun!

No trouble taking food into US?

No trouble taking food into US?

The last time I headed to the US, I had 9 packets of Tim Tams in my bag. A colleague of DH wanted some. I declared it all and there was no issue taking it across.

And we've also not had any issue taking chocolates and lollies either.

I second PIO-taken a range of dried goods into US and declared them just in case-no problems and especially not tea/biscuits/chocolates. Our dude last trip just kept pressing us to confess we had some Tim Tams hidden away (this trip not) that we didn't want to share & told us to bring him a pack to share with immigration staff next visit as they just get to drool as they watch them go past.

So I take it that Americans like all that wholesome chocolatey goodness in our Tim Tams
Surprised they don't make them there too
I also take it that they are not as partial to Vegemite?

So I take it that Americans like all that wholesome chocolatey goodness in our Tim Tams
Surprised they don't make them there too
I also take it that they are not as partial to Vegemite?

They did try to make Tim Tams. And I think there might still be some company in the US making it.

Apparently, it didn't taste the same. Besides, there isn't enough choc chip in it for them. :rolleyes1

Thanks for the ideas. I will definately put in a couple of packs of Tim Tams. I also thought maybe some Furry Friends chocolates (the ones with the Australian Animals on the wrappers). I'll have a look around for some more ideas.

I've also got some clip on koalas and Aussie pins I'll take too.

We always have food we take into and out of the States and every other country we've been. Never had a problem. It's always chocolates, lollies, biscuits etc, so all commercially packaged.

Thanks for the ideas. I will definately put in a couple of packs of Tim Tams. I also thought maybe some Furry Friends chocolates (the ones with the Australian Animals on the wrappers). I'll have a look around for some more ideas.

I've also got some clip on koalas and Aussie pins I'll take too.

We always have food we take into and out of the States and every other country we've been. Never had a problem. It's always chocolates, lollies, biscuits etc, so all commercially packaged.

Aussie Shaz - If you have time, I highly recommend a trip to the Vic Market, if you have time. There is a stall there that sells the souvenirs for about $2 or $3 each. They have things like furry koala pencil cases, the stuffed koalas, Aussie pins, tea towels, pencils, coasters etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter