Convinced the hubby he won't die on the flight to Disneyland. A May PTR

Well Aussieshaz sounds like a great trip for your family.
Looking forward to your review and pics on HOJOS kids suite as we are thinking of booking them for our trip, later this year. :)

What we've got booked/organized so far:

-Airfare with Virgin Australia. I requested our seats so we are not near the bathrooms (like we were last time) and so that we could all sit across a row, not behind each other. I decided it would be best that 3 of us took up the window thru to aisle seats on one side, then the 4th person would be directly across the aisle in he same row. This way we won't have to worry about climbing over strangers, or being climbed over by strangers. (I'm hoping the other 2 people that make up the 3 middle seats will know each other, thus climbing over each other, not us!)
The website says that a seat allocation for us plebs who pay the cheapest airfares would cost $20 per person per leg. I was quite happy to pay this to ensure our comfort. After I had been asked for and given my credit card, and had hung up the phone, the girl from V Aust called back to advise that there would be no charge. I have yet to ring to confirm that our seats are actually allocated. Will put that on my To Do list.

-Accommodation at Hojo - kids suite, and then at Vacation rental

-10 Day Disneyland pass purchased from Air New Zealand holidays (comes in email form)

-Photopass Plus voucher. I purchased this way back last year as soon as it was released. I think I thought it was such a great deal that I was scared they'd raise the price.:rotfl2: I also worried that they'd charge for postage to Australia, but it looks like nothing's changed.

-The all important packages ordered and delivered to Hojo already!! I did check that it wasn't too early for them to accept packages for me. I did get a bit over-excited I think, but there was certain Christmas stuff from Disneystore that I thought would sell out before May, so just went for it!

I guess that's all I got so far.

I'm also reading /lurking along.......exciting times...and good to see you too are helping the USA economy with purchase!:thumbsup2

aussie shaz said:
What we've got booked/organized so far:

-Airfare with Virgin Australia. I requested our seats so we are not near the bathrooms (like we were last time) and so that we could all sit across a row, not behind each other. I decided it would be best that 3 of us took up the window thru to aisle seats on one side, then the 4th person would be directly across the aisle in he same row. This way we won't have to worry about climbing over strangers, or being climbed over by strangers. (I'm hoping the other 2 people that make up the 3 middle seats will know each other, thus climbing over each other, not us!)
The website says that a seat allocation for us plebs who pay the cheapest airfares would cost $20 per person per leg. I was quite happy to pay this to ensure our comfort. After I had been asked for and given my credit card, and had hung up the phone, the girl from V Aust called back to advise that there would be no charge. I have yet to ring to confirm that our seats are actually allocated. Will put that on my To Do list.

Do you have a booking number so you can go into the Virgin system online and pick your own seats?
I would also pick to put the fourth person across the aisle, but I'd also pick seats between the middle and the back of the plane. There's generally nothing special about these seats, so people don't tend to pick them during the booking process. The hope for you is that there will be no one (or only 1 person) sharing the middle row with your forth family member and they'll have more space. You can keep checking the system up until you fly, and move yourself, if possible, if the other middle seats get booked.
I've gone with this theory quite a few times and often ended up with extra seats to spread across. The exception though is busy flights at the start or end of school holidays where empty seats are rare.
Anyway just a thought. I realise not everyone is as pedantic as I am :rotfl:

Do you have a booking number so you can go into the Virgin system online and pick your own seats?
I would also pick to put the fourth person across the aisle, but I'd also pick seats between the middle and the back of the plane. There's generally nothing special about these seats, so people don't tend to pick them during the booking process. The hope for you is that there will be no one (or only 1 person) sharing the middle row with your forth family member and they'll have more space. You can keep checking the system up until you fly, and move yourself, if possible, if the other middle seats get booked.
I've gone with this theory quite a few times and often ended up with extra seats to spread across. The exception though is busy flights at the start or end of school holidays where empty seats are rare.
Anyway just a thought. I realise not everyone is as pedantic as I am :rotfl:

Thanks for that. I'll have to check to see first, if our seats are actually showing, and if so, which other seats around us are booked. I never thought of that.

I did choose seats in the back 3rd of the plane. This was the only area available that wasn't too close to the bathrooms!

Our flight last time was chockers. I haven't been on a flight with spare seats for years. I think the last one was to Fiji in abou 2005. I remember the kids being able to lie down a bit.

We can only hope for some airplane pixiedustpixiedust:

I'm also reading /lurking along.......exciting times...and good to see you too are helping the USA economy with purchase!:thumbsup2

Ummm Karen, I was a bit worried that my 3 packages might turn into 6 or 7 before we leave and the people at the Hojo would know I was weird before I even arrived, but you know, you've made me feel a little better about the weirdness of it all.

21 packages. WOW!!

-The all important packages ordered and delivered to Hojo already!! I did check that it wasn't too early for them to accept packages for me. I did get a bit over-excited I think, but there was certain Christmas stuff from Disneystore that I thought would sell out before May, so just went for it!

How early us too early to get packages sent to Hojos? And how did you check with them (call or email?)

I was looking at a few things at the Disney Store the other day but postage to here is astronomical and so not worth it!

How early us too early to get packages sent to Hojos? And how did you check with them (call or email?)

I was looking at a few things at the Disney Store the other day but postage to here is astronomical and so not worth it!

I emailed them to ask if it was ok, how far ahead they would accept them, and how to address the packages. They replied that there was no time limit on how far or close to arrival, as long as they had a booking under that guests name.

Have you booked direct? If not, the hotel won't have your name in their system until a couple of weeks before you arrive. I also had to remember that I had booked the room under hubby's name, so put that on the parcels.

I got an email from UPS to confirm that my Disneystore parcel was accepted at the front desk and signed for by Rafael, so I'm pretty happy about that. Don't know about my Amazon parcels, but will email in the next week or so confirm they arrived too.

The Disneystore delivery prices are ridiculous. Amazon is usually better, but was free within the US, so even better. Can't wait to arrive and see what's in the parcels (I probably would have forgotten by the time I get there)!

I emailed them to ask if it was ok, how far ahead they would accept them, and how to address the packages. They replied that there was no time limit on how far or close to arrival, as long as they had a booking under that guests name.

Have you booked direct? If not, the hotel won't have your name in their system until a couple of weeks before you arrive. I also had to remember that I had booked the room under hubby's name, so put that on the parcels.

I got an email from UPS to confirm that my Disneystore parcel was accepted at the front desk and signed for by Rafael, so I'm pretty happy about that. Don't know about my Amazon parcels, but will email in the next week or so confirm they arrived too.

The Disneystore delivery prices are ridiculous. Amazon is usually better, but was free within the US, so even better. Can't wait to arrive and see what's in the parcels (I probably would have forgotten by the time I get there)!

I'm glad you're doing a PTR - you're giving me ideas! lol! I've ordered groceries in the past, but not other stuff. This is going to be fun :cool1:

We are almost at the 100 day countdown mark for our trip. Happy days!

I'm glad you're doing a PTR - you're giving me ideas! lol! I've ordered groceries in the past, but not other stuff. This is going to be fun :cool1:

We are almost at the 100 day countdown mark for our trip. Happy days!

Glad I can help! Just don't look at Australian Karens TR for shopping ideas:rotfl2:

We are at 110 days today. Can't wait to get to double figures!

Sounds like Hojos offer a great service, very personal and obliging! Unfortunately though, we ended up booking through our TA as we couldn't get room availability booking direct ourselves. So I guess I won't be able to do this :sad1:

Sounds like Hojos offer a great service, very personal and obliging! Unfortunately though, we ended up booking through our TA as we couldn't get room availability booking direct ourselves. So I guess I won't be able to do this :sad1:

Maybe email them and ask if it's possible. They are very good there.

I've just been watching the DVD's that hubby made of our last trip and I nearly had tears! The kids were just so happy and you can see the joy and excitement in their faces. I just can't believe we are doing it again, and in 105 days:cool1:

I have been having thoughts lately that maybe, just maybe, hubby might agree to go to WDW. I know right. I just convinced him to fly the 14 hours to California. Do you think maybe I can convince him next time that the extra few hours (not sure how many) plus a plane transfer in LA wouldn't be much worse??:rotfl: What's everyones thoughts on a night stopover in LA on the way there, or just go straight through?

I had plans for Hong Kong at Christmas 2014, but I still can't get past WDW. So many Aussies are going, and it sounds so wonderful. I thought though, that Christmas at WDW wouldn't be such a great idea, both crowd wise and $$$ wise. I could probably settle for Halloween time:stir:

Just to get some idea of costs etc, approx how much do the airfares cost to Orlando. I know the specials just came out for September/October. If we were just going there and back, with a stopover in LA on the way home, do you buy a through fare, or would you buy a promo fare to LA, and then a separate domestic fare to Orlando. I know it's safer to buy on one ticket, but is it just as cheap?

Also, we would probably stay at a Value resort. I really like the look of POP, and have read good reviews. Do they have any rooms that have 3 beds? (You know my kids won't share a bed, and they'll both be nearly teenagers by then) If we did a standard room with 2 doubles, is there room to slide in a blow up matress? If we got 2 standard rooms, do they have interconnecting? Anyone done either of these before?

I know I'm crazy for even dreaming of going, without hubby being even close to agreeing, but if I know some details, costs, etc, it might be easier talking him into it!

Anyway, would love any info anyone would like to give me about WDW, flights, accom, or how to talk hubby into going:worship:

Hi Aussie Shan, I'm reading along too.
I think WDW is a great idea:cool1:Disneyland is great particularly when you have little kids but WDW is great for those that want to live and breathe Disney and that's most of us here;)
In regards to the rooms at pop, the rooms are small and there is no room for a blow up, you could try Port Orleans riverside, which have an extra sofa bed, so you get the extra bed.
Remember also at pop, the beds are two doubles, so a bit of a squash.
On our first trip to WDW, we originally had two rooms at pop, but changed to one room at the contemporary, as they also have a sofa bed, we loved it there:thumbsup2
In regards to flights, you really need to price it out, we have done both, booked to go to Lax then booked a separate flight, we ended up having a 7 hour layover. Last time we went we went through Dallas booked on one ticket, so Sydney-Dallas, then Dallas-Orlando on one ticket. That was a better connection.

aussie shaz said:
I've just been watching the DVD's that hubby made of our last trip and I nearly had tears! The kids were just so happy and you can see the joy and excitement in their faces. I just can't believe we are doing it again, and in 105 days:cool1:

I have been having thoughts lately that maybe, just maybe, hubby might agree to go to WDW. I know right. I just convinced him to fly the 14 hours to California. Do you think maybe I can convince him next time that the extra few hours (not sure how many) plus a plane transfer in LA wouldn't be much worse??:rotfl: What's everyones thoughts on a night stopover in LA on the way there, or just go straight through?

I had plans for Hong Kong at Christmas 2014, but I still can't get past WDW. So many Aussies are going, and it sounds so wonderful. I thought though, that Christmas at WDW wouldn't be such a great idea, both crowd wise and $$$ wise. I could probably settle for Halloween time:stir:

Just to get some idea of costs etc, approx how much do the airfares cost to Orlando. I know the specials just came out for September/October. If we were just going there and back, with a stopover in LA on the way home, do you buy a through fare, or would you buy a promo fare to LA, and then a separate domestic fare to Orlando. I know it's safer to buy on one ticket, but is it just as cheap?

Also, we would probably stay at a Value resort. I really like the look of POP, and have read good reviews. Do they have any rooms that have 3 beds? (You know my kids won't share a bed, and they'll both be nearly teenagers by then) If we did a standard room with 2 doubles, is there room to slide in a blow up matress? If we got 2 standard rooms, do they have interconnecting? Anyone done either of these before?

I know I'm crazy for even dreaming of going, without hubby being even close to agreeing, but if I know some details, costs, etc, it might be easier talking him into it!

Anyway, would love any info anyone would like to give me about WDW, flights, accom, or how to talk hubby into going:worship:

Hi Aussie Shaz,

My family are doing the stopover in LAX. My son is young and my DH and I don't sleep well on planes, so a stopover is almost a necessity. We want to begin our holiday well-rested and relaxed and figure that losing that time and money in an overnight airport stay is worth the expense. It also means no worries about delays and missing connections (we booked our flights separately). On the way home, our flight from LAX to Auckland is late evening. I uhmmed and ahhed about when was the best day to fly back to LAX from Orlando, and in the end decided on that morning. We'll have half a day to fill between flights, so I'll book an LAX dayroom to relax in. If the Orlando flight leaves late, we have time up our sleeve and don't need to stress.

I realise that their can be connection headaches to deal with by booking international and domestic flights separately, but no matter which way I priced it up, booking separately was always coming up cheaper for me (usually by at least NZ$200 p/p). After some research, I worked out that Virgin America offers one of the most comfortable economy services of those airlines that fly direct to Orlando. Not only do they get the best reviews, but their planes fly on time more often than other airlines. Obviously prices vary with the specials, but you can get a one way flight (including a suitcase) from LA to Orlando for about US$200 p/p. The flights each way are about 4.5 - 5 hours long.

Once you get to WDW, I actually think a holiday there is quite affordable. Tickets get cheaper per day the longer you stay. So with a 10 day pass, you're looking at a day's worth of entertainment only costing each person about $30. There's amazing deals on hotels, particularly if you're prepared to stay offsite. So perhaps show your DH these deals first to warm him up, then work on building him up to a Disney hotel.

Either way, good luck. It sounds as though your heart is really set on this and I know what that's like. It took me 3 years of researching WDW before my husband finally warmed to the idea and said "Let's do it".

If you were just going to Orlando and back, with a stopover in LA, then it will work out cheaper to buy the one ticket.

I've gotten the LA and back ticket only. But I'm planning on flying to somewhere else,do a road trip and fly out of another location to Orlando. The multi-ticket I wanted to do was $$$ over the long haul price. And it was less money to buy the internal flights separately, using different airlines.

enjoying the PTR. I find it funny that so many of us on DIS have a trip coming up and then another one already in the back of our minds ! we go to LA in 55 days but already I am thinking 2014 WDW !

Interesting about booking virgin seats. I always stay away from the back of the plane as I have found that that the food runs out and you are always last to get served with anything and the last to get out of the plane.

We stayed at Pop with two interconnecting rooms, was great!!

Our kids were,13,13&16, so they each had a double bed, DH and I shared ! While we are used to a queen at home, we had no problem with the double. The kids fought over who had to sleep in Mum and Dads room!!!

it was good having the extra bathroom, as well as having the extra room for luggage, and shopping!!!

But I think this option will cost more than a room at POR with the Murphy bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter