Convince me to try Summer

Blue32

DIS Veteran
I know opinions vary on the subject of best times of year to visit and opinions on crowd levels but I'd like to hear from those that really love summer trips to DLR.

We have a trip planned for the last week in April but we have booked our flights thru Southwest so we can move our dates without change fees. We are seriously considering moving our trip to the 2nd week in June. It looks like this year is an unusually bad year for refurbs and the list has grown to be a deal breaker if it does not change much. We are looking to move it to catch some more of our favorite rides being open.

I know a fair amount about touring the parks, using FP, and have read the many helpful Hydroguy threads. I am still just a bit concerned about crowds and I guess I am just looking for some assurance that we can in fact "make it work" and have great time despite the higher crowd levels. Anyone care to try?

We have been in the summer and have had great trips. With longer park hours, we tend to go early, break. For lunch/pool/naps and head back for evening fun. Granted, we have AP so we don't mind skipping things due to lines and aren't in a super rush each day.

We like that most attractions are up. To us, the only drawback is the heat. But then, we were there once in May when it was 105 and we couldn't wait for the pool.

Lately it doesn't feel like there is an offseason anymore, so summer looks more appealing with the longer hours and such.

We are actually looking at going that same week in June.

Well, I see you have read some of my posts so not sure if I can add anything you have not yet read.

Crowds will be there but generally are not nearly as bad as most people expect. Summer trips definitely work better for those who can get themselves up early and to the parks for rope drop, take afternoon breaks, and stay out into the later hours of the evening.

Heat is usually not bad but true heat waves of course can happen. Afternoon breaks help with this. And high temps in the 80's are more typical. In June it is like average highs of 80. I personally think the typical summer temps are ideal. I leave the hotel early morn in a tee-shirt and shorts and temps are low to mid-60's. Then it warms into the 80's. Evenings are 70's and maybe high 60's.

Summer has lots of daylight. Riding Splash and Grizzly is just not very concerning because you dry off so quickly.

I usually plan lunch in a cool restaurant with A/C to cool off and replenish fluids.

I really feel that summer is the best time to go. Not a trade-off with a lot of undesirable aspects. The best. I would choose it all the time. I like the warmth. The max offerings. Lots of daylight. To me that is Disney.

:teacher:

We went in late Sept in 2011 and 2012, then went in July 2013. We absolutely loved going in the summer. There is so much more going on and no ride closures (except BTMRR). We stayed onsite and made it to 7am EE most mornings, or at least got there before regular rope drop. We got most of our rides done before lunch and spend the afternoons and evenings watching shows, swimming or shopping.

You can take a look through my TR if you like.

Our last two trips were summer trips - 1st week of July and 2nd week of August.

We love summer trips. We are early risers so the 8 am rope drop (or 7 am MM) are easy to make and we love the park early - it is cool and not as crowded. We do what alot of people do - do a ton in the mornings and slow down in the afternoons. Sometimes we stay but if we are coming back for nighttime shows, we leave and then come back in the early evenings.

We love that there aren't major ride refurbs. Of course sometimes rides are down but that happens. Disney doesn't seem to plan alot of refurbs in the summer.

We love that all the shows - fireworks, WOC, Fantasmic, parades - are playing.

I know some people talk about the crowds but honestly we just expect it and aren't bothered. We use FP and plan for lots of rides in the mornings. We have always ridden everything we want over the course of a three day trip and often hit the favorite multiple times.

Weather I know can be a concern for those sensitive to the heat. In our past two trips, it hasn't been an issue. Honestly our July trip was in the 80s and we must have hit the mother-lode last August because it barely broke 80 when we were there - it was almost too cool for the kids to swim in the pool. It was lovely.

We love summer trips. Yes it is crowded but we have a good time.

We are actually looking at going that same week in June.

We're going that same week, and I went back and forth about it mostly because of grad nights, but I'm just going to back some extra patience. Should be fine. I've grown weary of stressing out about crowds, so we go when we can crowds or not.

Some bonuses of going in the summer:
1. Packing is sooooo much easier -- t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops. In June, there's June Gloom, but that's nothing a light-weight hoodie can't fix.

2. Drying off after the water rides. Get wet on splash mountain in the summer -- it's refreshing! Get wet on Splash Mountain in December, and you could be pretty cold for a while.

3. Longer hours. My family isn't into rope drop, so we get there later in the day. I love the time from sunset to so late into the night until closing. Everything cools off to point of comfortable but not cold. You can get quite a few hours in the park in rather pleasant weather. Just sleep in the next day to recover if that suits you.

4. Dole Whips, while good any time, just hit the spot on a hot, summer's day!

5. Swimming! Swimming! Swimming!

You guys are making me sooo excited!!! :cool1: We have finally finalized our dates and we are going July 27th-August 4th our last and first trip was Christmas and it got down right cold at night so I am excited to get to go when it is nice out and even go visit a beach...my kids have never seen the ocean :goodvibes

I have never been in the summer, and I really dont think I ever will go in the summer just because of the heat. Our May 2012 trip was hot enough for us to not want to do summer. It was high 70's-80's. That is pretty hot for us, especially when we are doing so much walking. It was my first sunburn I had ever gotten before late July :scared1:.

I have never been in the summer, and I really dont think I ever will go in the summer just because of the heat. Our May 2012 trip was hot enough for us to not want to do summer. It was high 70's-80's. That is pretty hot for us, especially when we are doing so much walking. It was my first sunburn I had ever gotten before late July :scared1:.

This was our issue - we went last year in early May and we had a few days of high 90s and that was enough for us to realize we would never visit any later than March or earlier than November - mind you for us here in Calgary, going to DLR resort when it's already nice weather here seems silly - we like to go when there is a large difference in temperature between our freezing cold and the nice California sunshine!!

That and grad nights would keep me away - but I realize rides are an issue this year.

I appreciate all the comments. I was really hoping we could make the dates in late April work but as the ride list for possible closures kept growing, so did my desire to try summer. I think we will do well with the early mornings but my 8 year old never takes naps anymore and I don't know if she would even if she tried. But I suppose getting out of the sun and resting your feet is still a good idea in the afternoons. Without a nap, I don't know if she would make it until closing though.

I do like the idea of longer hours though. It seems like everyone says even on very busy days you can get a lot done in the mornings.

I think we will do well with the early mornings but my 8 year old never takes naps anymore and I don't know if she would even if she tried. But I suppose getting out of the sun and resting your feet is still a good idea in the afternoons. Without a nap, I don't know if she would make it until closing though.

For us, our trick was we ALL laid down. After lunch and a swim, back to the room and we laid down, no electronics. The kids totally fell asleep, even the teenager. It was the only way to prevent grumpy kids and grumpy parents! ;)

Good Luck!

We have been going to DL in the summer for 30 years and have always had a great time. We arrive when the park opens and stay until closing or after the fireworks. If we get tired, we just get a drink and sit in the shade for a while.
If you get 5-day hoppers, you do not have to rush to do anything. Love it!

For us, our trick was we ALL laid down. After lunch and a swim, back to the room and we laid down, no electronics. The kids totally fell asleep, even the teenager. It was the only way to prevent grumpy kids and grumpy parents! ;)

Good Luck!

This is exactly what we do! Lights off, electronics off...even if just for a rest for 20 minutes. My very anti-napping teens all fell asleep by the second day! :thumbsup2

Forgot to add...I love going to Disneyland in the summer!

We have gone in August for the last 2 years and will agian this year, right before the So Cal passes become unblocked. We like it for the extended hours, the warm summer nights (you can ride the water rides, get soaking wet and not have to worry about being chilly), and just being in the warm sunshine.

we are early risers so we get to the park for EMH/MM and go until mid-afternoon when the crowds start to peak. We head back for a nap or swim or just to rest in someway before going back until closing time.

With the hours from 7-midnight we can ride all the rides we want and never really have to mind about the crowds. We also for for at least 5 days so we have almost enough time without having to rush around.

I also like it because there are usually fewer rides down than at other times.

We have gone on Disneyland trips all throughout the year, but SUMMER is definitely our favorite time to go. YEs, we hate the crowds, but we love EVERYTHING else! First, the hours.. absolutely love how we can take it easy and not feel like we are going to miss out on something. Love how you can take a evening break, hang out at the hotel, explore downtown Disney, and then head back to the park for the rest of the evening! For my family... 9pm and on is the BEST time to explore the park! We ride SO much in the short three hours and major plus...you're not stuck baking in the sun ;) Also, for the most part everything is up and running...rides and shows.

Alright.... we have made it official. Summer it is! We are going at the start of June (8th-13th) and will have 5 day hoppers. I have to admit that seeing some of the pics of Spring break crowds on Mousewait has me a little freaked. But we will arrive before Rope Drop every day and use the hoppers to avoid the crowding on Grad Nights.

Wish us luck! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Alright.... we have made it official. Summer it is! We are going at the start of June (8th-13th) and will have 5 day hoppers. I have to admit that seeing some of the pics of Spring break crowds on Mousewait has me a little freaked. But we will arrive before Rope Drop every day and use the hoppers to avoid the crowding on Grad Nights.

Wish us luck! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Congratulations!

I don't think you'll regret your decision. We've been in June and loved it!

The hours are great and we find the weather in June to be(mostly) really quite beautiful. Remember, when the sun goes down, temps cool down rather quickly.

Good Luck, and have a wonderful time!::yes::

We used ridemax a few years ago when we went in July and loved it.

We've used it before also and probably will again. I don't feel like I NEED it this time around with the knowledge I have gained from Ridemax on other trips and here on the DIS. But I'm a fan of the software and like playing around with it.

Congratulations!

I don't think you'll regret your decision. We've been in June and loved it!

The hours are great and we find the weather in June to be(mostly) really quite beautiful. Remember, when the sun goes down, temps cool down rather quickly.

Good Luck, and have a wonderful time!::yes::

Thanks! It looks there will still be some refurbs going on in June which is unfortunate and I know having Space down during those grad nights won't help things but we will make the best of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter