Convince me to stay at the Poly !

Martin S

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

Am planning our next trip back to WDW and for the first time we wont be on our own but with our 2 year old son. (previously stayed at WL, BC, PO)

We were thinking that the Poly might be nice as it has the monorail but when we visited briefly a couple of years ago we were not too impressed. We did only visit the reception and catch the monorail though and there seemed to be a lot of construction going on (new pool??).

The Poly seems to be such a firm favourite of people here I'm sure our first impression must be wrong.

So my question is, what makes the Poly so popular and is it worth the $$$ ?

TIA

Martin

Well, it's all in what you like! That's the key. :D

The theme you saw in the lobby is for the tropical effect. If you weren't "too impressed" it's not a big deal, there are plenty of other resorts and themes to choose from!

That being said, I posted this on a Poly thread the other day:

Stayed there in '99. Loved it. It wasn't tired or run down.

It's a lovely resort (IMO). The grounds are beautiful. The resort has an exotic feel to it. Hammocks on the beach. Great views. Rooms are nice. Friendly staff. Great location. There is a lot to appreciate about the Poly! Go into it with a positive attitude. Look for the good things. You'll find it.

If there is some minor problem, the CM's are generally very accomodating.

Annemarie

We have stayed only at POR in the past (several times). We did pass thru the Polynesian since our dd was going to the Neverland Club. We were traveling with friends who had previously stayed at the Polynesian and were now staying at POR with us. Now, I wasn't overly impressed with the Polynesian. My friends said they were very happy with POR, even after using Polynesian 2 years before. Said they felt that they got more for the amount of dollars they spent. Okay. All that being said. Our next trip in Aug. '03, we are booked at CBR for 7 nights. I am hoping that some terrific codes come out and I can switch the last 3 nights of our stay to the Polynesian!! My 8 y/o dd just loves this resort. I'm not sure why. I think it's because of the Neverland Club!!!! But, it is on the monorail with easy access to Epcot via TTC. And a boat to MK. And you can watch the EWP from the beach as well as the MK fireworks. So......I guess it's all up to what is important to you.

Martin S:

You should really strongly consider this resort. Here's why:

1. Watching the EWP on the beach
2. The new zero-entry volcano pool is awsome!
3. Coconut races during dinner at 'Ohana
4. Stroller-friendly monorail access at Poly, MK, TTC and Epcot
5. Watching the MK fireworks on the beach or in the pool
6. The kid's parade during breakfast at 'Ohana
7. The daily torch lighting ceremony
8. CM's that are awsome with kids
9. The beach

The Neverland Club: our kids begged to go back. They may not take a 2-year-old though.

You will be spending more time at the MK. You are there in 10 minutes (5 by boat). If the kid overheats, gets tired or falls asleep, it's 10 minutes home to bed without getting them out of the stroller.

No parking lot trams if you stay at a WDW resort (HUGE advantage with stroller, supplies etc.) Your hotel room is closer than the closest parking spot.

If we had known how convenient this place was when our kids were in strollers we would have gladly paid the extra for the Poly. If you remove most of the travel times, you remove the stress of getting around. You've got enough stress being parents of a two-year-old!

Here are previous post of mine you parents should find helpful:

About surviving WDW with kids:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10638

About the Polynesian PLEASE READ!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=251912

Your kid is going to love Walt Disney World.

Have Fun!

CanadaKid

We stayed at the Poly 20 years ago during our honeymoon. Since then, we have stayed at many Disney resorts, including the Poly some 15 other times. In fact, we recently purchased some points in the DVC at the Beach Club Villas.

Two weeks ago, we returned to the Poly for our 20th anniversary. The atmoshphere of relaxation was the same as it was twenty years ago.

Each resort has its own theme and ambiance. However, if you want to reward yourself with a truly relaxing vacation getaway, the Poly is the place to go. Feel free to send individual questions to COACHSTING@aol.com

Thanks everyone this is great info, the idea of not struggling with the Car Park/Buses after a day at MK sounds like a big plus.

Also I think the little one might like the idea of playing in the sand on the beach while I watch him from a Hammock ;)

and are going to in December, for half of our visit!

Our kids always wanted to try it, from riding through on the monorails. Seems more "vacation-y" than the CR, and less stuffy than the GF.

There are lots of Poly posts these days, which makes it fun for me as I plan my vacation. Lots of info and feedback!

Before our last trip, there were tons of posts about the Swan and Dolphin and it seemed like everyone was staying there...

With these kinds of decisions, you really can't go wrong!

We stayed at the Poly when our youngest son was about 18 months old. It was extremely convenient! You will probably spend the majority of your time at MK and the monorail is so nice. You do not have to take him out of the stroller to ride the monorail. (Parking lot tram + baby + stroller + diaper bag = a nightmare!)

Our son also loved going to Epcot at night and it's very easy getting to Epcot from Poly also.

He will love the pool and the beach. You can enjoy the fireworks and the water parade from the beach also. IMO the Poly is very relaxing... especially after a long day at the parks.

As far as rehab, I think they renovated the lobby last year and now they are renovating rooms (not sure), so it should be beautiful.

I think it's worth the extra money, but try and find a discount. We stayed at the consierge building for less than the cost of a regular room. We loved it!!!

We just returned from an 11 night stay at the Poly on Monday and would love to stay there again. The convenience of the monorail was wonderful. The pool was fantastic for our 2 boys-the 4 yr old loved the pool. It is great for little ones. The food court was very convenient. The entire resort seemed very family friendly and our kids loved it.

I've been to Disney World about 6 times all for business. I've stayed at Cont, CBR, CS, and the Swan. Next month, I'll finally be taking the family including DS (6-yo) and DD (3-yo) and staying at the Poly for a vacation. The primary reason I chose the Poly is the location and the transportation options. I don't plan to try to push and see/do it all. The ability to get to the parks and back quickly for naps and rest was key. I'm on vacation, I don't want to stress. I'll pay for that. The theme is also nice. It may make me want to go back to Hawai'i. :)

FYI, the Neverland Club will accept 4-year olds and above so you'll have to take your 2-yo to Pleasure Island with you. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter