Convince me to love Animal Kingdom

Do you think it is appropriate for a 10yo? Are you in direct sun the whole time?
I'd love to hear more about the tour in general...
Would be awesome for a 10 year old. Sun is not bad. A lot of shade. There are some threads that go into more detail on the trek.

I am iffy on Animal Kingdom myself, BUT... the Lion King show is beyond words - worth visiting the park *just* for that one experience. I found the Finding Nemo show so-so, but my daughter (8) absolutely loved it. The Dinosaur ride is incredibly fun, as is Expedition Everest... otherwise than that, we just walk around and see the animals, but really, you can do that at any zoo anywhere. Not sure I've ever spent more than 4-5 hours here. Hit the highlights, and then move on!

Thanks all for the input. It really is helpful.
I think I am looking to be convinced because we really love Disney, and it is unlike us to feel underwhelmed by them - I figured we were just missing something. Maybe it really is just a frame of mind thing because it is so unlike the other parks.

I think we'll give it another try, and focus on the Lion King show, and choose one or two animal attractions or trails. Take it slow, and try to reset our expectations to a different kind of park.
I think of AK as a zoological park that happens to have rides and shows and restaurants. The animals are, to me, the main attraction. I've only been twice, once back when it first opened, and once this past Easter, and the first time I was underwhelmed because there just wasn't much to it yet. But this time, my mom and I spent half a day there. We hit rope drop (so cool with the birds!), did the safari, all of the animal trails, saw Lion King, did Bug's Life, and ate at Flame Tree. And that was it! But we thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember the feeling going into AK that day after the rope drop. It was truly like we were entering a different world..so immersive! The guys were out in the streets playing the drums, cast members with various critters were around so you could pet the animals (We pet "Noodle" the snake). It was just neat. It's so different from the other three parks.

I put it very close behind MK in my park preferences. MK only edges it out due to nostalgia. Epcot, bless its heart, has lost its 'oomph' for me. I still love World Showcase, but Future World is sad. And I've never taken a shine to Studios. I just don't "get" that park. But I'm big on atmosphere, and HS severely lacks in that category for me while AK excels at it.

Do you think it is appropriate for a 10yo? Are you in direct sun the whole time?
I'd love to hear more about the tour in general...
Let me give you a better answer about the contents of the Wild Africa Trek. I was heading out the door when I gave the earlier answer, and now I have some time.

10 year old? Absolutely. We will be bringing our grandson as soon as he is around 10.

Here is a brief run-down of the trek.
It starts with a hike off the paved trails in the Africa section of the park. You will see two animals up close...the hippos and the crocodiles. For this section of the trek, you will be strapped into a harness, much like the harness for a zip-line. You will be locked into the harness whenever you do anything dangerous. You will walk over a Disney-rickety (which is to say strong) rope bridge, while looking down at the crocodiles and hippos. You will also be strapped into the harness as you peer off the side of a rock (with no railing) to see the hippos and crocs up close.

For the next part of the trek, you will take off the harness and get into a truck. You will see the same animals as the Kilamanjaro safaris, but you will have longer with each animal, and you will learn a lot more about them. And there is plenty of time for pictures (but you don't have to take them yourself). While the Safari ride gives you about 10-15 minutes on the Savannah, you will have about an hour to see everything.

Next you will go to a shaded platform that overlooks the Savannah and have lunch. They call it a snack, but for us, it was plenty of food to make our lunch. Here you can relax and look at the Savannah, particularly the elephants and gazelles. You can also see the rhinos and the lions from the back. They have binoculars for you. You can just chill out, eat lunch / snack, and enjoy the animals. There are restrooms here, too.

Next you will get back on the truck and get closer to the rhinos, lions, and a few other animals. Then you head back to the starting point.

Another key feature of the Trek is the the Cast Members have DSLR cameras. They take pictures of you and your group at every portion of the Trek, as will as getting great pictures of the actual animals that you see that day on your trek. You will be given access to all their photos as part of the price of the trek. This is important because it is not really safe to bring your own camera. They will let you do it if you have it will tethered, but their cameras are so good, there is no need. I could post our pictures, but it would be like spoilers.
Any other questions just ask.

Let me give you a better answer about the contents of the Wild Africa Trek. I was heading out the door when I gave the earlier answer, and now I have some time.

10 year old? Absolutely. We will be bringing our grandson as soon as he is around 10.

Here is a brief run-down of the trek.
It starts with a hike off the paved trails in the Africa section of the park. You will see two animals up close...the hippos and the crocodiles. For this section of the trek, you will be strapped into a harness, much like the harness for a zip-line. You will be locked into the harness whenever you do anything dangerous. You will walk over a Disney-rickety (which is to say strong) rope bridge, while looking down at the crocodiles and hippos. You will also be strapped into the harness as you peer off the side of a rock (with no railing) to see the hippos and crocs up close.

For the next part of the trek, you will take off the harness and get into a truck. You will see the same animals as the Kilamanjaro safaris, but you will have longer with each animal, and you will learn a lot more about them. And there is plenty of time for pictures (but you don't have to take them yourself). While the Safari ride gives you about 10-15 minutes on the Savannah, you will have about an hour to see everything.

Next you will go to a shaded platform that overlooks the Savannah and have lunch. They call it a snack, but for us, it was plenty of food to make our lunch. Here you can relax and look at the Savannah, particularly the elephants and gazelles. You can also see the rhinos and the lions from the back. They have binoculars for you. You can just chill out, eat lunch / snack, and enjoy the animals. There are restrooms here, too.

Next you will get back on the truck and get closer to the rhinos, lions, and a few other animals. Then you head back to the starting point.

Another key feature of the Trek is the the Cast Members have DSLR cameras. They take pictures of you and your group at every portion of the Trek, as will as getting great pictures of the actual animals that you see that day on your trek. You will be given access to all their photos as part of the price of the trek. This is important because it is not really safe to bring your own camera. They will let you do it if you have it will tethered, but their cameras are so good, there is no need. I could post our pictures, but it would be like spoilers.
Any other questions just ask.

Perfect!
I did a little reading up on it after your initial post, and that, plus this response has totally convinced me! Any thoughts on morning vs. afternoon? We're going in August, so it will be only marginally less hot in the morning. I've seen a mix of opinions around, but always have room for one more.

Thank you again for all the ideas and opinions. I know that many were sure that one should not have to be convinced, but I am always willing to give things another try - I just wanted to do it pointed in the "right" direction. We are not park commandos by any means, but my eyes have really been opened to just how differently this park needs to be approached.
With HS being in flux right now, and the removal of some of our favorite areas there, I really think that is going to be our 1/2 day park this trip, and we will reallocate our HS time to exploring the AK. Have already been talking to my team & they are super excited about the prospect of going on the Wild Africa Trek and seeing the bird show. With all the positive feedback on the Lion King show, we will put that on our must do list, and my 10yo and will will brave Everest as well.
So excited to try all these new things!

Perfect!
I did a little reading up on it after your initial post, and that, plus this response has totally convinced me! Any thoughts on morning vs. afternoon? We're going in August, so it will be only marginally less hot in the morning. I've seen a mix of opinions around, but always have room for one more.
We went in the morning at 9AM (so that is my only data point). You can even go before rope drop if you want. The animals are more active in the morning. But you will see animals all day. Disney will see to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter