Convince me to love Animal Kingdom

JoTheBookish

Mouseketeer
Our family (Me, DH, DD13, DD10) will be taking our 5th trip to WDW August 2017. Every trip, we spend a half day in AK before feeling like it isn't for us, and leaving to go somewhere else. But everyone we know loves this park. Like, passionately feels this is the best park ever, kind of love. We have done the safari and that has been nice, but we can't figure out what is driving this love other people feel. We're willing to give it another try if we can be convinced (and we really want to be convinced!).
So, what are we missing? What makes this place so special?

They have the best shows. Have you seen any of them? I love the festival of the lion king. AK is my least favorite park also because it is so crowded. So last year When I went I "opened" my eyes to all the little things and stopped at all the entertainment. This was the best time I ever had in the park.

You have two of WDW best shows. Finding Nemo and FotLK. Expedition Everest!!! One of the better CS Flame Tree BBQ. The Safari!!! The upcoming Pandora-Land. Dinosaur and Bug's Life are fun. The theming cannot be beat at any park. Divine!!! And even it is only a half day park for you then that allows you to either sleep in before you go or if you RD you can spend the night at Disney Springs.

The beauty of Disney parks, especially here in WDW is that there is a variety of things for everyone's taste. You have given it a try a couple of times and don't love it and that's fine, I don't think anyone can convince you of loving something or not. It's a personal choice.
As to your last question : What makes this place so special? For me is the detail in the theming. There are so many things to look at and understanding that they actually went to Asia and Africa and brought artists and craftmen from these places makes it super authentic and I appreciate that. I love all the live, cultural entertainment, also AK is home to the best live stage show on property, FOTLK and Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. Those are the highlights from me

First, don't feel you have to like it!! It's your vacation, and if your family has more fun in the other parks, I absolutely think you should do what works for you!

But, if you're just curious, why my family likes it is:

It feels the most immersive to us. We aren't running from ride to ride, and we actually stop and take in the scenery, participate in the street shows, etc. We just somehow naturally go at a slower pace here.

We all love animals!

Other guests seem happier here too. Maybe it's because it is their "short day" and they're not exhausted, or we just tend to hit it on the right day, but we see much less fodder for the "Disney Meltdown" thread here than at MK or Epcot. (I'm not sure how it compares in that category to DHS, because that's the one we've tended to "not love as much as everyone else" and are just now getting back into.)

ETA: I just realized while reading other people's responses that reason #3 might have a lot to do with the fact that we've only ever been there in February, April, or May - never the height of summer!

Last edited:
Animal Kingdom is not my favorite park. I enjoy it, but usually am able to be done and out of there by 5:00 or so. That will probably change with the addition of Avatar land, the tree awakening show, and ROL if it every opens lol.

Things I do love about AK, just standing around watching the monkeys. The trails (Pangani, and Gorilla Falls, as well as the trails around the tree of life) are very enjoyable as well. DeVine is amazing! We love Festival of the Lion King, and think it is probably the best show in Disney World. Finding Nemo is well done too. Flights of Wonder is not to be missed in my book. Expedition Everest is an amazing ride, even with the Yeti not moving. Those things make the park more than a half day park for me already.

If you don't love AK, that's fine. You can't ask us to try to convince you, only you can decide.

In terms of ranking the parks, I'd say my family would probably put it 4th, but that's not condemning it. We really like it, a lot. We just like the others a bit more.

AK does have great shows...well at least Festival of the Lion King is great, kinda lukewarm on Nemo. We love Kali River Rapids, it's so much fun to get soaked by it. EE is fun, Safari is always an adventure. Flights of Wonder is cool if you like birds. Dinosaur is a fun ride. But if you don't love it, don't force it. Enjoy the parts you really like, and move on.

As to your last question : What makes this place so special? For me is the detail in the theming. There are so many things to look at and understanding that they actually went to Asia and Africa and brought artists and craftmen from these places makes it super authentic and I appreciate that. I love all the live, cultural entertainment, also AK is home to the best live stage show on property, FOTLK and Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. Those are the highlights from me

This sums it up for DH and me. I love, love, love the shows. DH isn't interested in most theme parks but really enjoys the exhibits and theming at AK.

I will say that at 13 our DS would have preferred to ride the thrill rides and then head off elsewhere. It would definitely have been a half day kind of park for him, the boy was definitely of the opinion that vacation and learning were antithetical to each other.

I really enjoy AK, but I love the animals. My family will pull me away from the gorillas and out of the bird aviaries because I really could watch those for hours. I also really enjoy speaking with the CMs, if you have a question about the animals they can answer them and are very pleasant to chat with. I love every show they have. Attention to detail in this park is amazing. We get there at RD and even with taking our time we are usually out of the park by 4 and it is the only park we don't take a break midday. We haven't had the chance to see the nighttime stuff, so I am looking forward to that :)

vacation and learning were antithetical to each other.
:D
when my kids were little I took them to the "educational" parts of the parks often, Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, World Showcase to talk to the CM, all of Animal Kingdom, my son didn't have a problem with AK since he loved animals, I mean, loved as in watched Jeff Corwin on a daily basis, could recite facts about bugs and dinosaurs and mammals, but know that they are older they often remember things they "learned" at Disney.
Our trips to AK when my son was younger would be us at Rafiki's Planet Watch watching the CM shows about the different animals and looking at the vets.
My daughter answered a question at school when they were learning about the alphabet....yep she thanked the Phoenicians :D

Your title is like me saying to my wife "convince me to love pop music", or her saying to me "convince me to love Pink Floyd." We might come away from that sort of thing with an appreciation of why the other enjoys it, but I am not going to suddenly enjoy droning bass and she isn't going to start grooving to a 10 minute guitar solo. If you may just find more enjoyment at another park there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy yourself the way you want.

First, I agree that you are not required to like DAK. I like this park a lot, but if I need to skip one in the Summer, this is the one I choose. It is Freaking HOT!

If you want to explore the park, rather than look at it for it's attractions you may see what we see. The trails are awesome, the shows really nice, and Flights of Wonder amazing. Every where you look there are the details that make this park unique. The thing is, you cannot enter and go from attraction to attraction, ticking one off after the next. If you do, you leave wondering why you bothered to come in the first place.

I think that of all the Disney parks, DAK is the one that required a change of theme park mindset in order to appreciate it. Every park is unique with all of the details that bring the attractions to life, but the attractions are not always the driving force behind why people return time and again. That is why "worth it" questions are so difficult to answer and are so subjective.

Thanks all for the input. It really is helpful.
I think I am looking to be convinced because we really love Disney, and it is unlike us to feel underwhelmed by them - I figured we were just missing something. Maybe it really is just a frame of mind thing because it is so unlike the other parks.

I think we'll give it another try, and focus on the Lion King show, and choose one or two animal attractions or trails. Take it slow, and try to reset our expectations to a different kind of park.

I used to feel the same way, but now AK has really grown on me. I think that happened when I stopped trying to rush, rush, rush to to BIG attractions and started relaxing and noticing all the little things. Oh…and I avoid that Dinoland like the plague. I really cannot stand that section of the park, but everything else is awesome.

One of my new favorite shows is the Flights of Wonder show. I finally took the time to stop and watch and now it's a must-do for us.

AK is still a half day park for us, but maybe that will all change soon with Avatarland opening and maybe the new Rivers of Light…if it ever opens.

Thanks all for the input. It really is helpful.
I think I am looking to be convinced because we really love Disney, and it is unlike us to feel underwhelmed by them - I figured we were just missing something. Maybe it really is just a frame of mind thing because it is so unlike the other parks.

I think we'll give it another try, and focus on the Lion King show, and choose one or two animal attractions or trails. Take it slow, and try to reset our expectations to a different kind of park.

Don't know you have any specific expectations when you walk into the park or not, but could that be playing a role? If you walk in with a certain expectation based on a mental image or what others told you and you don't see it in that light, it may lead to disappointment. When we walk into a park, we really have no expectations and try to just see it for what it appears to us. We're easily amused by WDW and like each park in its' own way. Not saying we're gushing over each and every last thing, but at the same time, we are rarely disappointed.

Our family (Me, DH, DD13, DD10) will be taking our 5th trip to WDW August 2017. Every trip, we spend a half day in AK before feeling like it isn't for us, and leaving to go somewhere else. But everyone we know loves this park. Like, passionately feels this is the best park ever, kind of love. We have done the safari and that has been nice, but we can't figure out what is driving this love other people feel. We're willing to give it another try if we can be convinced (and we really want to be convinced!).
So, what are we missing? What makes this place so special?
Despite no nighttime show yet being in place, and despite our least favorite dining options - Animal Kingdom may still be our favorite Park.....maybe because we can leave after only 4-6 hours....

What we enjoy most about Animal Kingdom (in no order):
1.) Everest is the 'thrill-iest' coaster at Disney World.
2.) The Safari does not feel completely cruel.
3.) Shows - my wife prefers the costumes and theatrics of Nemo; I prefer the music & in-the-round audience participation at Lion King.
4.) I used to own a parrot - Flights of Wonder is a treat for me.
5.) Dinosaur is animatronics excellence.
6.) Skipping Kali Rapids.
7.) Time-killing through the two [2] walking trails beats walking past another beer kiosk.
8.) 'Greenest' Park at Disney.
9.) Bug's Life 3D is adorable.

AvatarLand and Rivers of Light will make this our totally most favored Park for our next trip.

Magic Kingdom keeps us busy too.

Hollywood Studios is our truly half-day Park. We enjoy Star Wars show more than Fantasmic! by Park Hopping after dinner since we split-stay along Boardwalk.

Epcot does not have enough things for my 8 y.o. unless we go during Flower & Garden Show, Food & Wine Festival, or Candlelight Processional.

Every family Tours differently.

It's our least favourite park, we've been every trip (so I think 9 times now) and we're very 'meh' about it.
When discussing our upcoming trip DH suggested 2 AK days so I asked why and his answer was 'because we spend at least 2 at all the others'.
Don't get me wrong, the safari is wonderful and I love the shows but there's something about it that just doesn't click with us.....but then I know LOTS of people that dislike HS and we always have a wonderful time when we're there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter