Convince me to go to Universal

LizaS

Earning My Ears
We will be going to DW in August, and am thinking of going to Universal Studios. I have two daughters, 16 & 12. Am trying to convince them to go., can anyone help me out with your impression of US? Can it be done in 1 day?

Any information would be helpful!

We went to WDW every year. In 2001 we decided to give Universal/IOA a try. We went back in 2002 and are going in 2003. I went to WDW with my daughter in May, first time back, and you know what? I like Universal/IOA better. Stay at one of their hotels and you will know what I mean, no lines no wait. Plus I just think the rides/attractions are neater. Only 2 parks compaired to 4, but I still like Universal better. Another plus, last year we stayed at RPH which is suppose to be their cheapest, was as nice as any deluxe I've stayed at WDW. HRH was great, and this year we are staying at PBH, their top of the line for $155 a night. I guess I'm a converted Universal/IOA fan! I really think to do the parks justice you need 1 full day at each park, and remember to stay on site.

We just back from a short trip to WDW/UO. My daughters are 16 and 13 and they both love Universal. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, which they LOVED and went to IOA. We've been to Universal before and have done both parks, but this trip only left time for one park so we chose IOA. If your girls like roller coasters and thrill rides, they would really like IOA. Citywalk is a lot of fun too. My husband and I loved to sit outside Margaritaville and have a drink while the girls check out the shops and street vendors. It's a lot of fun. I would definitely give it a try.

I don't think we need to beg:p

We started going about 5 years ago and haven't been back to Disney. So beware, if you go to Universal you may just save yourselves a lot of money, have a lot of fun, stop waiting in line and still have time to do other things! If you want to risk having your children give up on Disney, then go ahead and take a chance.

Ditto the last post. We just happened to have an extra day on one of our WDW trips and visited US for the first time in 1999, My kids love it( boys 9,14) And I really don't know if I can wait in a line an hour to ride a ride again.

HRH hotel last year( wonderful) RPR in three weeks!!!!!:bounce:

If you stay at one of their hotels to get the front of the line access you can ride every ride and see most of the shows at both parks in one day. Just need to get there at opening. Last time we went in mid july and saw everything by around 6pm so we went to catch a movie at the Citywalk.

Overall doesn't do as much for me as Disney, but is worth a trip once they get enough new rides in.

Erikda, you're in luck. Jimmy Neutron and Shrek have opened since your last visit!

One thing I really like about Universal is that the rides are long. Unlike Disney, where the rides last a couple of minutes, most of the rides at Universal last much longer. At IOA, the rides are shorter than at USF. So even though there are fewer total rides than Disney, the actual time that you spend on the rides seems longer.

I think at Disney you spend way more time waiting in line than actually riding the rides. If you like that, that's fine but Disney's queues really aren't very exciting.

At Universal and IOA you spend way more time on the rides than in line AND the queues are very interesting.

I am so excited about FOTL. We were there years ago NOT staying onsite and the lines where long. This time it is at HRH! If you can get an entertainment rate it will be so worth it. There are many great things to see at Universal. I will miss the Alfred Hitchcock attraction, long story.

Last time we were there we did all four Disney parks plus the Universal parks plus Sea World and Busch gardens and we LOVED Universal. The rides are technologically more advanced (mainly) and are brilliant although the overall atmosphere isn't as good as the staff aren't as friendly (in our opinion based on that visit).

Also if you can't get the Entertainment Rate you can try hotwire.com and get a pretty decent rate for the Universal/Loews hotels. The trick here is they list the price, star rating and all the amenities that the resort/hotel offer but not the name. Mousesavers.com has a great list of how to tell what resort you could be getting if your interested in going that route. That is how I was able to secure RPR for a weekend for $137 a nite instead of the $209 the Universal website was quoting me.

We just returned from 9 nights/10 days in Orlando. We stayed at a deluxe resort (Beach Club Villas) at WDW - 5 nights and originally, we booked 4 nights Universal Studios (Portofino Bay Hotel). Disney wins on accommodations. We loved the BCV. We hated the PBH (it just wasn't us - we should have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel). BUT, Universal wins - hands down - when it comes to parks and attractions. I have 2 teenage boys 15 and 17 and it was hard to keep them interested at WDW. Very few attractions met their expectations and the waiting - even with FastPass - was unbearable. Most rides were not usually worth the wait. Even though we had a plan, we ended up criss-crossing the parks, walking miles just to get in another line. What a time waster and most of the attractions were less than what we expected. MGM was the best Disney park we went to and had the best rides (Tower of Terror, Rock N' Roller Coaster, MuppetVision 3D - YEAH!) But Universal Studio's/Isles of Adventure BLEW DISNEY AWAY. Better coasters, better interactive rides, 3D, you name it. Spiderman's THE BEST. Terminator 3D not far behind. Back to the Future, MIB, the water rides, shows, etc., outstanding!

Universal's parks are smaller but so are the crowds. The queueing and ride loading is better planned and the benefits of having a Universal room key express is unbeatable. My kids rode the Hulk 8 times in a couple of hours. Try that at Disney!!!!

Do it right and you will get maximum enjoyment out of your time at Universal with minimum time investment (2 full days is all you really need, 3 is a luxury). The lines and crowds at WDW burned us out and we decided to crash and relax at the resort for parts of 2 days (which is why we stayed on site at the World.)

So, stay on site at Universal but make sure you know what type of room you are getting (a "deluxe" room is not all that deluxe -esp if you are coming from a villa or suite hotel.)

And if you like the American movie/TV culture from the 50's - today, you'll like Universal. If you are principally a Disney-o-phile, then stick to that.

I certainly hope Disney learns a thing or two from Universal. Namely, folks who pay BIG bucks to stay on site, should get something more than an occasional early entry opportunity.

A go-to-the-front-of-the-line policy for property guests might help fill up all of those empty rooms I saw at the resorts and would give the consumer something really valuable for the expensive lodging rate at Disney resorts.

Universal especially IOA are more thrill rides where I find at Disney even the line up is part of the ride which is amazing but I love my coasters etc so for rides I prefer IOA but for the experience I prefer Disney.........OK that wasn't any help was it, but I don't think you would be disappointed if you did U.S and IOA.

I'm 15 years old and have been to both Universal Studios (and IOA) and Disney.

I haven't been to Animal Kingdom at Disney, so my post for Disney vs. Universal is mostly based on Magic Kingdom where I visited the most.

Disney just has what I feel a youthful environment. Some place kids 10 and under dream about going. Most rides aren't very exciting with exception to Splash and Space Mountain (but those are almost inadequete (sp?) compared to Universal).

I went to Universal for my first time (well, not counting the time when I was 3 when I couldn't really have any opinion of the place) in 5th grade and thought it was ok. Some of the rides scared me.

I went back when I was 13 or 14 and liked Universal a lot more. I liked Islands of Adventure better (gotta love those rollercoasters...which unlike the ones at Disney actually go upside down!). I liked Spiderman, Hulk, Popeyes water ride, and Jurassic Park River Adventure.

This year, I can not emphasize enough how much I love Universal. Better than Islands of Adventure, even! But, tastes change. I love both. I liked the shows at Universal a lot. Especially Ghostbusters and Horror Makeup Show. I liked the rides based on movies I've seen like Men in Black, Back to the Future, etc. And since I'm *so* interestyed in film, seeing how they make movies (like the preshow for Earthquake ride) was very interesting.

Basically, Universal Studios is the more "grown-up" theme park. With exception to ET and Jimmy Neutron of course. Especially with the shows there may be some things said that would NEVER be said at Disney (sexual jokes). Many will fly over your 12-year old's head and they are well done (not overdone where it's not funny).

But don't let that scare you!! All shows are well done and BOTH daughters will probably LOVE Ghostbusters show!! My mom and I love it (seen it over 30 times...lol). That one is "clean".

Rides are better than Disneys. Shows are better.

I don't know who had bad experiences with the staff but I've ALWAYS found the staff at both parks VERY friendly everytime I've went and so far I've been around 20 times).

Your daughters may like a more grown-up park because most everything is less "cheesy" if you get my drift.

I could go on everything at Disney when I was 8 or 9 years old. I'm older now and I like Universal better. Give it a chance and maybe you guys will have fun. I always do! I'm even asking for the annual pass for the 3rd year in a row for next year!!!! :bounce:

Hope this helps :) Sorry it was so long!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter