Convince me that staying on-site is worth it!!

pjlla

DIS Veteran
We have not stayed on-site since our honeymoon. When the kids were small we felt that we needed a small suite so that they could go to sleep earlier than us (and we wouldn't be forced to sit in the dark at 8 pm!!:lmao: ) And it always worked out great. But our "usual" hotel has changed hands and we are not familiar with the new owners, so we are not going to chance it.

Anyhooo.... here is what I am thinking. DH is not the Disney nut that the kids and I are.... plus he seems to get tired a bit quicker than the rest of us and is definitely not a morning person. So we were thinking that it would be great to stay on-site.... that way if the kids and I wanted to stay at a park longer in the evening (or leave for a park earlier in the morning) we could use the park transportation and he could come later (or leave earlier) in the rental car (which we will have, no matter where we stay).

Plus, we are going during a much busier time of year than we usually do and would like to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. So obviously, for the two reasons I have listed, staying on-site is the perfect option......

However, I refuse to pay the prices that Disney is asking for a Moderate (never mind a Deluxe) during that time. So Pop Century it is, for $99/night. A reasonable price, but certainly no bargain.

Here is my dilemma.... I have inquired at an off-site condo complex and could easily get a 3 bedroom/2 bath unit for $99 OR LESS a night and have plenty of "spreadin' out" room, as well as a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. But staying off-site would definitely make it more difficult for DH to come and go as he pleased and it would eliminate the Magic Hours option.

So convince me that staying on-site in a cramped room (where we would essentially just be snacking and sleeping), is worth it!!.....................P

We stayed off site for years and never complained but once we stayed onsite for the first time 5 years ago that was it, onsite from now on. We could never afford it but the values were $49 per night for FL residents so we went for it. We loved taking the buses and the over all feel of the resorts. We have since stayed at many mod and deluxe resorts but at a much discounted rate, I would never pay full rack rate for them. Check the Swan and Dolphin, sometime the rate is $125 per night.

We have not stayed on-site since our honeymoon. When the kids were small we felt that we needed a small suite so that they could go to sleep earlier than us (and we wouldn't be forced to sit in the dark at 8 pm!!:lmao: ) And it always worked out great. But our "usual" hotel has changed hands and we are not familiar with the new owners, so we are not going to chance it.

Anyhooo.... here is what I am thinking. DH is not the Disney nut that the kids and I are.... plus he seems to get tired a bit quicker than the rest of us and is definitely not a morning person. So we were thinking that it would be great to stay on-site.... that way if the kids and I wanted to stay at a park longer in the evening (or leave for a park earlier in the morning) we could use the park transportation and he could come later (or leave earlier) in the rental car (which we will have, no matter where we stay).

Plus, we are going during a much busier time of year than we usually do and would like to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. So obviously, for the two reasons I have listed, staying on-site is the perfect option......

However, I refuse to pay the prices that Disney is asking for a Moderate (never mind a Deluxe) during that time. So Pop Century it is, for $99/night. A reasonable price, but certainly no bargain.

Here is my dilemma.... I have inquired at an off-site condo complex and could easily get a 3 bedroom/2 bath unit for $99 OR LESS a night and have plenty of "spreadin' out" room, as well as a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. But staying off-site would definitely make it more difficult for DH to come and go as he pleased and it would eliminate the Magic Hours option.

So convince me that staying on-site in a cramped room (where we would essentially just be snacking and sleeping), is worth it!!.....................P

I think it depends on how much you love your DH. You've given MANY more reasons for staying off-site than on-site. In fact, the MAIN reason you've given for staying on-site is for the convenience of your DH, and secondly the EMH. Sooo, this seems to be a decision that you can easily make yourself without any convincing from us... :rolleyes1

What time of year are you going? I ask because we just returned from a week long stay at POP and payed $50 a night, we went down a couple of years ago as well and payed the same. If you are able to find a deal for the time of year that your headed down you could potentially get 2 rooms at POP for the price that you are expecting for one and solve all your issues with that.

If your already way ahead of me and $99 is the lowest you can get....I know it will be much more cramped than what you would have in an offsite condo but, I have stayed both onsite and offsite and all of the convience and atmosphere of being onsite have spoiled me for good and I'll never stay off site again.

We like to sleep in -- imagine that! It is a vacation after all. To balance that out, the night time EMH are a must for us. We base our daily park plans based on what's open latest.

As already mentioned, the convenience of the on property transportation system is important to us. Two of our kids are college age and can take off and do something different and no worries for us how they will get back to the room.

If you are staying off-site because of the extra room for the youngsters to sleep, try the All Star Music Family Suites! They are fantastic!!! There is so much more room. You get a neat little kitchen with a microwave, and a refrig. If your husband wants to sleep in, it is very easy for you and the youngsters to go to the parks on the buses. We stayed at the Music for the first time this past August, and would stay there again!

I've stayed both on and off property. I would much rather stay on property.

1.) The traffic and road construction around WDW can be crazy. When I'm on vacation I try to avoid stuff like that as much as possible.

2.) I really like parking the vehicle and forgetting about it for the entire vacation. Not having to pay for parking is nice too.

3.) In my experience, when I want to take a break from the parks and return it's much easier to do it on property. I actually do what I planned. Not so for me when I was off property (see # 1).

HTH!

I doubt anyone here can convince you one way or the other, but to me, this just boils down to what kind of vacation you want to have.

Before our little man came along, my wife and I liked to take trips. We're still in our 20s and though I have a nice job, we have virtually no savings since we live in a high cost area. Therefore, price is a concern for us.

I made myself into a travel junkie and took advantage of everything and anything I could to get us into wonderful hotels and nice vacations. We've enjoyed a suite at the Beverly Hilton and a corner suite at the Grand Hyatt Seattle with rooms overlooking the Space Needle and Elliott Bay, for instance, for prices you wouldn't even believe.

So I get the price, "quality" factor. But for me, anyway, Disney World is a totally different type of vacation. I love exploring things, grabbing my rental car (always something nice, too...!) and taking off with a map and having some fun.

Disney is the one exception to that. At Disney, I'm still a theme park commando, but I can relax...because I stay on-site. For me, the "magic" does extend right to the place you sleep. There would be something quite unsettling about getting into my car and joining the masses on International Drive...something quite different than a short car or bus ride back to Port Orleans Riverside, where I can stroll across the beautiful landscaping and still be experiencing Disney.

I actually think that the Disney resorts, particularly the moderate ones, are excellent values. I would say that the mods are roughly equiavlent to a Courtyard by Marriott or a Hilton Garden Inn. In the real world, I've routinely paid $150+ for those types of places for work related purposes. That's what you are paying a Disney moderate resort, only you're getting far more amenties, beautiful landscaping, early and late park entry priviledges, and more.

So personally, I think if you're going to go to Disney, then do Disney and stay on-site. I realize others feel differently, but you asked...

How much is free parking worth to you? When you figure that in, you only have $88 to spend on off site lodging.

From your post, it seems as if price is a major factor in your decision so I think you should stick with off site. I love on site, I love deluxes but you already say you refuse to pay this so nothing to convince you of there. If you get some thing close by, the resort may have a shuttle back and forth to the parks that Dh could use if he wants to leave earlier than every one else.

I just think from the tone of your post you're going to continually compare the price of a value (you already saying it's no bargain) to some place off site. Not the way you want to spend a vacation.

I think you should make a list of the pros and cons the way you did in your post. Add in the total price of both options, including food and travel expenses. Then look at the total cost of both and factor in convenience for either side. You already feel that onsite resorts are no bargain, but want the convenience for both you and your DH. You need to know how much in total the convenience is going to cost and how much the space you are losing is worth. A vacation in which you are comparing your accommodations and adding in the cost is not fun.

I like to stay onsite and I have no problem with the moderates. My DD and her DH really did not like the moderate and spent the week comparing it to the Poly. You cannot. I would rather go more often and compromise, they would rather not. You need to decide how much is your compromise worth to you and to your family.

Personally, I won't even consider staying off-site. I know that you can get much better value elsewhere, I know that the Disney resorts are expensive - but it is just part of the magic for us - Disney saturation (and I mean that in a good way)!

It is also a huge convenience factor - quick and easy, we did not have a rental car while there and never once missed it, we thought the bus system was very efficient.

We also like to sleep in and really make use of the night time extra magic hours. You also have the free bus from the airport if staying at a Disney resort.

I'm with you on the prices of the deluxe resorts - some of them look fascinating, but I just can't see the value in spending $250 plus per night on a hotel room. We have stayed at moderates and they have been great. Haven't tried a value resort - but would be willing to, it's just that our kids really love having a pool slide and you don't get those in the values.:hippie:

I've stayed off site and on site. When we went once with my in-laws, they were looking for a bargain and a place that all of us could stay together. Plus, my dad and stepmother were coming for a short time and my in-laws wanted them to stay at the same place as us. And my in-laws were paying for the accommodations so I had to listen to them. They wanted an off site house which I got and it was fine. Except that with one car, it was a mess. Everyone had to do everything at the same time every day. Getting to the parks wasn't a big deal but each of us ran out of steam at different times. It's not fun when you are tired and want to get back and the only thing you can do is sit on a bench and wait for others. The others feel bad because they know you are tired. You feel bad because you want them to have a good time.

My in-laws have gone to Disney World with us a couple more times with us and my son's family. Onsite every time because of the transportation issue.

I think of it this way. What will you be saving in frustration in one day? How much does your husband make in an hour in a day? Is that worth it for him to be able to stay in the room an hour extra a day? Put that into the budget and see what the numbes work out to be. "Saving" on a vacation means alot more than dollar bills.

Besides the obvious...
early magic hours
free parking
keys to the world
free disney transportation
free parking
and the general magical feeling you get while staying on site...mmmmm I think you can already tell where my thought are!
After staying on site the last 2 visits I can't imagine staying off site again.

It seems to me, you and your husband have different vacationing styles, at least while at Disney. He likes to spend a little more time relaxing, you and the kids like to spend more time touring the parks.

The perfect solution is to stay at a Disney Resort and consider any additional cost, money well spent.

Since you and the kids like to be in the parks, I think you will find when staying on Disney property, you will actually spend less time in the room, anyway, and therefore, not care about having as much room to spread out.

To save money consider not renting a car... you really don't need one if you don't plan on leaving the World. If you feel you must have one, at least the parking is free if you are a Disney Resort guest.

I just want to add I love Disney Resorts! They are fun! Lots to do. I love the pools and the themes. The counter service. The shops. I like the idea that I can relax and use their transportation and be in the parks with zero driving Ahh. Relax. No logistics problems. So nice.

I even like to tour the resorts during our down time! :) I like to see which one we might want to try for another trip. :upsidedow

Yeah. I'm a Disney nut.

I just don't really get the thought that the Disney resorts are a bad value. Trust me guys, if you travel regularly for business, you'll pay as much as a Disney resort costs routinely and not get as much, either in amenities and landscaping or various other things.

I mean...try to book a room in New York! You'll be lucky to get a Holiday Inn for $300 a night!

We stayed off-site when we went on our honeymoon (timeshare week gift from an aunt). I felt like we honeymooned in Orlando and just visited Disney World.

When I was a kid, we stayed at Fort Wilderness in my grandparents' motorhome. It's a totally different feeling - we vacationed AT Disney World. For our first trip back after we had kids, I insisted we stay on-site. On the second day while riding the bus to the park, my husband looked at me and said, "this is great! I like not having to drive anywhere!" We vacation AT Disney World, not Orlando. Disney magic, 24/7. LOVE IT!

We routinely pay a premium (although rarely rack rate) for the Disney magic and convenience of an on-site resort, and I've never once regretted it! From the joyous minute we enter through the front gates till the very sad moment that we leave, its an immersive experience that can't be replicated in an off-site condo - believe me, we stayed off-site for many years. I never really "got it," meaning the full disney experience, until our first on-site stay.

To save money consider not renting a car... you really don't need one if you don't plan on leaving the World. If you feel you must have one, at least the parking is free if you are a Disney Resort guest.

This is an excellent point, and so true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter