Convertible or not convertible, that is the question

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
Hi

I'm thinking of hiring a convertible for the last two days of our holiday in October.
We will be leaving Port Canarval and going back to the Disney area for our last night before heading to Miami for the flight home the next day.
I thought it would be a nice way to end the holiday but I'm not sure if it will be too noisey for the long drive down to Miami.

I was wondering if any of you have hired a convertible in the past and if you'd recommend it or not?

we had one in 2004 and although i liked it found it too hot and so didnt put the roof down very often! even had my own car hear with a soft top and didnt use it!

didnt have alot of room for our suitcases either so that was a bit of an issue but for two days its an experiance, we had it for 14 days

We hired one for 3 weeks in 2009. Small 'trunk' for luggage but was fine for the two of us. Found it too noisy on highway/interstate too have roof down for any distance and it is an experience if you hit a sudden down pour! Good on coast and short trips to parks, but overall wouldn't get another, especially as there are now 3 of us :goodvibes

We hired one for the last few days of a holiday once and like the previous poster, found the heat on our heads just too much and missed the full benefit of A/C - good for a pose though!

We've had one for a couple of trips when we were younger.

Cons are no luggage space, it can be too hot - I can remember DH having to pull over once nr sawgrass mills as we were about to pass out stuck in traffic.

For the turnpike you will need the top up. If you are on A1A down the coast then a convertible is nice.

The only other note of caution is security, particularly if you are driving around Miami. Miami can change from tourist to ropey in a street or two - you obviously stick out like a tourist and are more vulnerable in an open car.

One of our cars is a soft-top and while it's great fun, it's not particularly practical and even in the UK it's very easy to get burnt on a sunny day.

We're in Florida at the moment and have rented a Mustang - not a convertible one though. The Mustang is great fun - DH loves it.

Personally, I'd go for a Mustang rather than a convertible.

Thanks for your advice, I think we will be giving it a miss and going for suitable, what grade is a Mustang?

Thanks for your advice, I think we will be giving it a miss and going for suitable, what grade is a Mustang?

I'm not too sure what grade the Mustang is. We specifically booked a Mustang in advance from Hertz about 4 years ago (as a birthday treat for DH) and it was quite pricey I think. However, last year and this year DH has been able to request (or negotiate) one at the Hertz desk when we arrived even though we had only advance-booked a midsize car - no extra charge. He is a Hertz No1 Club Gold member but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Hi

I'm thinking of hiring a convertible for the last two days of our holiday in October.
We will be leaving Port Canarval and going back to the Disney area for our last night before heading to Miami for the flight home the next day.
I thought it would be a nice way to end the holiday but I'm not sure if it will be too noisey for the long drive down to Miami.

I was wondering if any of you have hired a convertible in the past and if you'd recommend it or not?

Convertibles are only 'fun' when tootling around an urban setting when the weather is not too hot. I would never have the top down when bombing down a motorway in 80 - 90 degree heat. You will get baked. and deafened.

Get a Standard SUV instead. Same price and much more practical.

I think you have made the right decision, it would be too hot! I have one at home and it can be boiling on a good day here. Something nice and sporty would be fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter