• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Convertible Jeep for a family of 4 + luggage?

rpierce99

Earning My Ears
I've been in heavy car rental shopping mode lately, and last night I found a deal that has my wife excited, but I'm nervous that it won't handle all of us. Fox (yeah i'm not excited about the shuttle) had a convertible jeep wrangler or similar for somewhere between my current midsize reservation and our standard suv reservation (yeah i have one of each). This was my wifes dream car as a kid and we're planning on taking some time at the beach and stuff, so it would be awesome to take the top off and cruise. Long story short, can I fit 4 people + luggage for 4 people in a convertible jeep wrangler or similar, at least for long enough to get from MCO to Indian Creek and back? Please say yes.

The area behind the rear seat has just over 17 cubic feet. Be aware that this includes stacking luggage ABOVE the level of the rear seat (blocking the rear window). There is no secure trunk.

So if you have two or three smallish size carry ons, go for it!

I'm not sure about the luggage questions, but....

If you are flying into MCO and staying at a WDW resort hotel, you could send 2 of your party on Magical Express, and have them handle all the luggage. Then 2 of you could rent the car, and meet back up at the resort.

I've been in heavy car rental shopping mode lately, and last night I found a deal that has my wife excited, but I'm nervous that it won't handle all of us. Fox (yeah i'm not excited about the shuttle) had a convertible jeep wrangler or similar for somewhere between my current midsize reservation and our standard suv reservation (yeah i have one of each). This was my wifes dream car as a kid and we're planning on taking some time at the beach and stuff, so it would be awesome to take the top off and cruise. Long story short, can I fit 4 people + luggage for 4 people in a convertible jeep wrangler or similar, at least for long enough to get from MCO to Indian Creek and back? Please say yes.

The Jeep specs. says it holds 2 pieces of luggage. Just sayin.

We are going for 11 days and staying off site, so it won't be carryons and DME isn't an option. If I can fit 2 full size checked bags back behind the seat I'm sure I could fit some carryons under kids feet in the back seat, hmmmm.

Do you know if the rental is a 2 door or a 4 door Wrangler?

My DH has a Jeep Wrangler that's a 2 door. He says there's about 18 inches from the back seat to the tailgate. And it's about 38 inches wide. So if those dimensions help you decide....

If you have a 4 door, it would be no problem.

I hope it works out for you... they're a fun vehicle to drive! I can't wait for it to warm up here in Northern Minnesota so we can take DH's out for some exploring with the top down!

DH has a Wrangler and taking the top off is no easy task. Just saying....You might want to look at a convertible car instead. We don't have room for groceries in the back of the Jeep, let alone luggage. Especially for four people! All of the seating will be filled, and there will be no leg room in the backseat.

We rented a midsize car on our last trip and they gave us a convertable jeep, we were unsure about taking it, we rented it from the Doubletree and knew we would need to haul our luggage back to the airport in it, we fit 2 fullsize suitcases and a set of golf clubs in the back, it was tight but we did it:)

DH has a Wrangler and taking the top off is no easy task. Just saying....You might want to look at a convertible car instead. We don't have room for groceries in the back of the Jeep, let alone luggage. Especially for four people! All of the seating will be filled, and there will be no leg room in the backseat.
I wouldn't count on a convertible car being able to hold all the luggage. Regular convertibles have very little trunk room - we get one full size suitcase in ours and we have a convertible that has one of the largest trunks. You can get one regular 24 inch suitcase and one 21 inch carryon in our trunk with a little bit of room for a couple of squishy backpacks. We drive down to FL and stay for a month - so we bring one regular suitcase and two carry-ons. One carryon has to go in the backseat - thank goodness it is just the two of us.

We rented one of these in Hawaii when our kids were about 8and 11. Getting from the airport was uncomfortable but do able. We ended up putting at least one large suitcase between the kids and backpacks and other small carryon stuff got crammed wherever we could fit it. I believe we had two large and two small suitcases plus each of us had a backpack. It was worth it to have the jeep for the week. Now they are teens and no way would that work.

I wouldn't do it. We got a Jeep in Hawaii for only three people, each with one large suitcase and small carry-on's/backpacks, and one suitcase took up a passenger seat in the backseat. The tailgate space is not large at all. With two kids, that won't work. If you could pack lightly for a shorter trip (not 11 days!) it would work, but otherwise I'd get a standard SUV or a larger car.

It was fun to take on 4WD roads in HI though. Florida's beaches/terrain won't need the 4WD, unless you plan on getting stuck in the sand.

Also want to mention on that same trip, we flew to another island and rented a convertible sebring, same amount of luggage, and there was quite a bit more room. Also rented the convertible last summer with the teens and it was fine. We did have some smaller bags in the back seat with the kids, but it was just for the ride to/from the airport and wasn't a problem at all.

Also want to mention on that same trip, we flew to another island and rented a convertible sebring, same amount of luggage, and there was quite a bit more room. Also rented the convertible last summer with the teens and it was fine. We did have some smaller bags in the back seat with the kids, but it was just for the ride to/from the airport and wasn't a problem at all.

Yep, you are correct, the new 200, aka Sebring has designed the trunk to accomodate luggage when the top is up. Nice design, love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter