Conversely, name a restaurant that gets too MUCH love

I have to add in Coral Reef. We had 3 really bad meals there. The atmosphere in no way made up of the lousy food and service. This place gets rave reviews.

I did have dinner at LeCellier finally and I felt it derserved the rave. To each his own I guess. The coffee rubbed Kansas city strip was amazing. Probably the best steak I have ever had.

Overrated:

Coral Reef - The atmosphere is just so-so and the restaurant is loud. It took us forever to get our drinks and food and the food was not great. In fact, I am sitting here trying to remember what I even ordered back in November and I can't remember anything but the salad.

CRT - This used to be my favorite, but I haven't felt the love since they changed the dinner menu and added the characters a couple of years ago. On the other hand, I still have very fond memories of some dinners DH and I had there years ago.

LTT - Used to love the character interaction, but I certainly won't be going back for just the food.

Brown Derby - This was great before they combined it with the Fantasmic package. Now I just feel rushed and the food is ok at best. However, we ate here on our honeymoon and 1st anniversary and had a couple of the best meals ever...

BOMA - I had looked forward to eating there for the longest time and was sooooo dissapointed, I really just didnt get what all the fuss was about...and zebra domes...YUK!!! :crazy2:

I have to agree a little with this. We went for breakfast and I found the food to be good but some of the stuff was too out there for me. I thought the juice was very good, loved that so I could see all the rave with that. Tim tried the different stuff with the Curry I think and he liked it but man it killed his stomach lol. I tasted a little but was not feeling it.

The basic stuff like the bagels and bacon pancakes and fruit were good lol. I think I had the best bagel from there. The fruit was very fresh there.

I only say Le Cellier because of the Disney Dining Plan.

It's a non-signature 1 table service credit in Epcot that serves steak, so of course it's become a difficult reservation to get. I haven't been to Le Cellier since lunch a few years back in May, before the DDP popularity really took off. The chef I liked who used to work there is now at Jiko, anyway.

Without doubt it has to be Brown Derby at Disney Studios.

The food was fine, if overpriced for what you got.

What really did shock was the staff attitude and fellow patrons. We are a pretty quiet and polite family. But the very sight of entourage had our waitress rolling her eyes and being quite snappy. Overhearing her at the couples table next door she was a nice a pie. The guy at the table was so embarrassed about the situation that he actually complained on our behalf!

Add to this a sense of "get them in and out as quickly as possible" and it was a real disappointment.

I'm glad that we weren't the only ones. This is the only Disney restaurant where I can say I have ever felt "pressured" to order alcohol. I don't drink alcohol and DH rarely does. I have nothing against it. I don't care if other people do. I just haven't found any that I like the taste of. Especially after traipsing around a hot theme park...sorry, I just didn't want any alcohol.

We were seated and the waitress got kinda miffed about us not ordering alcohol. She actually said, "Aw, c'mon...the kids won't mind. You're over 21 you really can have an ADULT beverage." She said it really snarky. Well, we waited for our cokes for over 20 mins.....she comes breezing by and DH says something to her and she says, "Oh yeah...the table with nothing but cokes...I forgot all about you." Well, when she walked off, we got up and walked out. We hadn't ordered anything yet, so we just left.

We did lodge a complaint against her. I kinda felt petty for doing it, but she really made us feel like there was something wrong with us.

For us - Boma - it was okay, just nothing special.

The other would be Whispering Canyon Cafe - we did it once, it was okay, no big desire to do it again.

Le Cellier
Chef Mickey's

We have had bad food experiences in both. Le Cellier is all about turning tables and getting you in and out and they sit you too close together IMO

My DH, DD (10) and are pretty easy to please. We are DVC and come "home" yearly. We find something we like at most places and really enjoy dining at WDW. It really has come a long way since when we first started coming 12 years ago. We have 2 places for which we don't understand the hype.

Chef Mickeys
The food here used to be special but the selection and quality have both decreased greatly. It is now more like cafeteria food. It has gone from a must do to a no thank you but if we still had kids under 6 we would still go for the characters.

Teppan Edo
Not as good as our local Benihana type place. Why would we eat something at Disney that is better (and cheaper) at home?

LTT - Hormel/Stoufers on a plate.
The only thing that made it good was Mickey, now...

Coral Reef ~ they seemed so unorganized there, it was barely managed chaos. I had the Blackened Catfish w/ pepperjack cheese grits and while I loved the grits and the compote/glaze, the catfish was blackened on the outside but mushy on the inside...really grossed me out to be honest. We thought the aquarium was neat but we'd much rather pop into the Living Seas for a bit and then go get a really good meal.

Le Cellier and the Coral Reef....
I don't get it...

I will go with Brown Derby. Our dinner there was not very tasty and we were neglected by our server who was less than happy we were there with a fantasmic package.

I also don't get Chef Mickey's for dinner. Great characters, but the food was awful both times I have tried it.

I'd also have to go with LeCellier. The food was just ok and overpriced. I've had better cheese soups and steaks elsewhere for a lot less money. The pretzel sticks were good though.

I went years and years ago to Brown Derby and had a similar experience.

Le Cellier. Food was okay, the table spacing is awful. We felt like we were in a cheap cafeteria.

Uhoh, two of my TS choices are listed here. I knew LeCellier was going to be listed though - do you think a lot of that is just due to it being one of the most $$$ on the DDP now though? When we ate there in '98 we really really liked it.

I also have Coral Reef listed as an option. Might throw that one out though in favor of another character meal. Not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter