• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

convention at CSR... should I be worried?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
How big of an impact does a typical business convention have at CSR? I saw online that a convention called SUSECon 2013 will be at CSR next November and it coincides with our dates. I googled it and it's convention presumably comprised of all business people, and it says over 500 attended the one last year (held at a different location). Should I be concerned about this? I know they won't impact the park, but do you think they will keep the pools and food court crowded? Any impact on buses? Thanks!

In my opinion, this is a pretty good news. The food court will be as busy as it would be with non-business patrons, so no real change on this point. However, these people are there for the convention center, not for the pools or the theme parks. So pools and buses should be less crowded than they would be without a convention.

Moreover, seeing people in business attire will remind you that you are in vacation while other aren't...

Fred

The attendees are usually quiet and just go about their business and meetings, and some meals will be taken at the convention hall. I would not worry about it...would be much more worried about having Pop warner or Cheerleading groups at my resort!

There was a pretty large convention going on when we stayed there - had I not read about it here on the Disboards prior to our arrival, I would have had no idea - no impact on our trip at all. :goodvibes

It"s a convention hotel... there will be conventions there most of the year.

It should have no impact on your trip unless you don't want to see anyone in a suit.

Lots of Disney hotels are convention hotels and it is not bothersome at all.

When we've stayed at Coronado Springs, the only real problem was the people who wore their name tags all around the resort. We ended up making fun of them the entire time. "Oh look, Ted looks like he's having a bad day!" Yeah, we are mean but we were on vacation.

The point is - they are working, YOU are on vacation so enjoy it.

There was a convention when we were there in Oct., but really the only time we noticed them at all was in the evenings. Cafe Rix would and the outdoor bar would get crowded after 9pm, but that was about it.

The nice thing is that they take up a lot of rooms, but not seats on the busses! It was the best bus service we've ever had.

Enjoy!

I've stayed at CSR twice - once DH was there for a convention, once I was there with a friend on vacation. I didn't notice any difference in anything at all between the 2 trips. I was just there last week & didn't notice even one conventioner the entire time. We were in Ranchos though, which is the fartherest from the lobby & convention area. You could always request to stay in Ranchos if you want to be away from the main area & see the least amount of conventioners as possible.

It's been a few years ago, but when I was staying there at the same time as a convention, there were golf carts shuttling people around and the let me ride frequently. The CM told me they only did this for conventions. Do they have golf cart shuttles all the time for regular guests? The shuttle picked me up near my room and dropped me off at the front desk area. I used them quite a few times.

We've stayed at the Coronado ten times now and there has been one, if not two, conventions each stay. They in no way bother us (we actually feel sorry for them because they are working and we are playing)...the pools are emptier, the buses emptier, etc. As long as it is NOT Pop Warner as we had to deal with last week, you'll be fine.

We've never had a problem when a convention coincided with our trips. It's great because the buses are empty.

500 is actually small for a convention. I've been at YC/BC or CR when they were having much larger groups in house, and although the TS restaurants and lounges would get a little busy (especially if they didn't have a catered lunch and were on their own between sessions) the buses and other tourist centric areas were not affected. Since these people are usually not paying for their own meals, food courts aren't as affected as full service restaurants are.

I've stayed there three times. Each time there was at least one convention going on. We would never have known except for seeing nametags and lanyards for the meetings on some folks walking around. No impact from all I could tell.

We stayed at CSR several years ago while a business convention was going on.

We had a few issues, all of which were not really serious - but somewhat annoying.

1 - Parking spaces were at a premium. We had trouble finding a space to put the car in, not even close to our room. (Casitas)

2 - The hot tub was totally not accessible in the evenings. It was taken over by the business people.

3 - The noise level at the Casitas was LOUD - probably not too bad if you were IN the group. We weren't. (We were moved to the Ranchos as a solution. We agreed that it was a good choice.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter