Contractor took deposit & ran! - Update 7/15

This guy is a thief. He has stolen your money.

He is breaking the law by working as contractor without the proper license.

Then, when you called him on it, he threatened to sue YOU.

I would demand that he refund 100% of your money in cash within 5 days or you will file charges with the local police and file a complaint with the licensing board in your local municpality.

Filing a complaint won't do anything with licensing board He isn't licensed Calling the police dept they'll be told it's a civil matter seek recourse through small claims court You are more patient than I am Give this guy another 5 days ? No way

As far as Judge Judy or any other court TV shows ( as mentioned previously on the thread ) they get the cases from already filed suits in small claims court You agree to drop the case and have it settled there..opening statement on most TV shows

Absolutely file in small claims court. Even if you never see your money again - and realistically, you probably won't since he's self-employed with no wages to garnish - there are tax implications to establishing the debt as uncollectable and you'll have the court ruling to firmly and legally establish what has happened which ensures he cannot bring action against you later.

And spread the word about this guy! Tell your friends and relatives, leave reviews on business sites, etc. Word of mouth and reputation are everything to small contractors without the budget for advertising and marketing, so by letting people know how he treated you you'll truly be hitting him where it hurts.

Filing a complaint won't do anything with licensing board He isn't licensed Calling the police dept they'll be told it's a civil matter seek recourse through small claims court You are more patient than I am Give this guy another 5 days ? No way

As far as Judge Judy or any other court TV shows ( as mentioned previously on the thread ) they get the cases from already filed suits in small claims court You agree to drop the case and have it settled there..opening statement on most TV shows

Actually, in Florida, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation will investigate and prosecute unlicensed individuals that are performing regulated services. They even provide packets of forms for citizens to compelte with instructions on how and where to file them so that the goverment can identify, stop and prosecute these criminals.

Heck, they even have app so you can report unlicensed activity from your smart phone.

From myfloridalicense.com:

REPORT UNLICENSED ACTIVITY:
>> Hotline for Florida Callers: 1.866.532.1440 (M-F / 8am - 5pm Eastern)

>> Outside Florida Callers: 850-922-9026 (M-F / 8am - 5pm Eastern)

>> Free DBPR Mobile app, available on iTunes and Google Play app stores

>> To file a complaint regarding unlicensed activity, you may email us at:

ULA@myfloridalicense.com

In my experience, I sued and won against a contractor in small claims court. His response was to close his company. I have not received any compensation from him.

The amount wasn't enough to hire an attorney to try and sue him personally (for you legal types, "pierce the corporate veil.")

An expensive lesson, but I now know to be much more careful.

Actually, in Florida, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation will investigate and prosecute unlicensed individuals that are performing regulated services. They even provide packets of forms for citizens to compelte with instructions on how and where to file them so that the goverment can identify, stop and prosecute these criminals.

Heck, they even have app so you can report unlicensed activity from your smart phone.

From myfloridalicense.com:

REPORT UNLICENSED ACTIVITY:
>> Hotline for Florida Callers: 1.866.532.1440 (M-F / 8am - 5pm Eastern)

>> Outside Florida Callers: 850-922-9026 (M-F / 8am - 5pm Eastern)

>> Free DBPR Mobile app, available on iTunes and Google Play app stores

>> To file a complaint regarding unlicensed activity, you may email us at:

ULA@myfloridalicense.com

Good to know about FL I should have stated my knowledge of how it works was based on NY police depts Not sure where OP lives ?

Ahh, Well if it makes you feel any better be glad it was it wasn't $10,200 dollars. Yes it happen to me while I was pregnant with my first child no less and we were trying to build our first house. Best advice I have from being there sue in small claims court. You can you file a complaint with the BBB for all that it will do. They were about useless to me. Then you can make a complaint with the building board so that they are aware of him stealing your money. It will help from someone else getting screwed by him.

Other than that chalk up your losses. I ended up getting restitution for my money and the contractor went to prison for mail fraud, but I still didn't see any of my money because they did it to so many people I was on the bottom of a long list.

WHY would your DH be against this? It doesn't cost much. And the messages you're getting from the contractor prove exactly what happened. Go down, pay your small filing fee, and get the ball rolling!

I think DH is against it because he does not want this to drag on and on a long time which makes it more stressful, especially thinking and talking about it over and over which could take months. He is also worried about retaliation from the contractor either by putting a lien (which would be removed but is still irritating) or something more personal.

Add this to your tactic

Call city hall and tell them you have a situation here and don't know what to do. Tell them what is going on. They may not be able to help you but it will make them aware of this guy and start taking a closer look at him.

I did go to our village hall today and spoke with the people that issue permits. They said it is a civil matter and to go to small claims court. He does live in a different suburb than we are in so there is not much they can do that way.

I would demand that he refund 100% of your money in cash within 5 days or you will file charges with the local police and file a complaint with the licensing board in your local municpality.

I completely agree he is a thief but am not sure if the police will press charges (we'll check) and don't think any license board will care since he is unlicensed.

Absolutely file in small claims court. Even if you never see your money again - and realistically, you probably won't since he's self-employed with no wages to garnish - there are tax implications to establishing the debt as uncollectable and you'll have the court ruling to firmly and legally establish what has happened which ensures he cannot bring action against you later.

And spread the word about this guy! Tell your friends and relatives, leave reviews on business sites, etc. Word of mouth and reputation are everything to small contractors without the budget for advertising and marketing, so by letting people know how he treated you you'll truly be hitting him where it hurts.

I agree it will be hard to collect the money. We will definitely spread the word about the guy though and will notify the BBB because he currently has an A rating.

Actually, in Florida, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation will investigate and prosecute unlicensed individuals that are performing regulated services.

So jealous of Florida! What a great thing. We are located in Illinois sadly which has no such bureau. I did check after reading this.

In my experience, I sued and won against a contractor in small claims court. His response was to close his company. I have not received any compensation from him.

The amount wasn't enough to hire an attorney to try and sue him personally (for you legal types, "pierce the corporate veil.")

An expensive lesson, but I now know to be much more careful.

I agree that this is definitely a pricey lesson. So sorry that you never got any compensation from him. I think sadly that is very common.

Ahh, Well if it makes you feel any better be glad it was it wasn't $10,200 dollars. Yes it happen to me while I was pregnant with my first child no less and we were trying to build our first house. Best advice I have from being there sue in small claims court. You can you file a complaint with the BBB for all that it will do. They were about useless to me. Then you can make a complaint with the building board so that they are aware of him stealing your money. It will help from someone else getting screwed by him.

Other than that chalk up your losses. I ended up getting restitution for my money and the contractor went to prison for mail fraud, but I still didn't see any of my money because they did it to so many people I was on the bottom of a long list.

What is the building board? I have no idea about that but we do plan to file a complaint with the BBB. So sorry you lost so much money during a stressful time. It's horrible to hear how common this is!

Well DH and I are deciding what to do. I spoke with our village today and they encouraged me to go to small claims court. We will be sending him a certified letter 'warning' of what will happen if he does not return our money.

I wouldn't even do that. I'd just do the small claims court filing and send it to him.

I'd find someone new (licensed) to do the work and chalk it up to lesson learned. At least it was only 2k.

If it makes you feel any better. We're dealing with a very similar situation, DH's friends recommendation, he paid the 2nd half of the installment early then they kinda took off. They sent some kid there to paint who would show up 1-2 hours a day. Its not my problem they were paying him $100 day for the work to be done.

I'm working with one of the guys now, he tried to send me a quickly typed up contract between us and the first guy showing us where we spent the first 10k at and in hopes we'll walk away from the final 5k payment and find someone else to finish. Nope, they haven't yet done 10k in work and even though Im having some of the work done myself, Im at least going to get the carpet out of it.

This was suppose to be a 30-45 day job that has now turned into 4+ months. I know his "contract" was bs since he happened to misspell the same word in the contract and in one of his texts, but he's actually licensed and now I have a written contract so I could now sue and call the licensing board to file a complaint.

I would file the small claims court paperwork and go online and fill out this form on your state's Attorney General website.

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/filecomplaint.html

Don't let the contractor scare you. He has no grounds to be able to get a lien on your home, ESPECIALLY if he's not even licensed. He is bluffing and hoping you won't call his bluff. Do not walk away from this because you fear him. He has nothing to stand on and you have everything to stand on. The law is on your side, not his. If he threatens you in any way, file a restraint order. He won't do anything and is just trying to scare you which is working. He is all smoke and no fire and wants to scare you so that he doesn't have to pay you back. Don't fall for it.

I think DH is against it because he does not want this to drag on and on a long time which makes it more stressful, especially thinking and talking about it over and over which could take months. He is also worried about retaliation from the contractor either by putting a lien (which would be removed but is still irritating) or something more personal.

I did go to our village hall today and spoke with the people that issue permits. They said it is a civil matter and to go to small claims court. He does live in a different suburb than we are in so there is not much they can do that way.

I completely agree he is a thief but am not sure if the police will press charges (we'll check) and don't think any license board will care since he is unlicensed.

I agree it will be hard to collect the money. We will definitely spread the word about the guy though and will notify the BBB because he currently has an A rating.

So jealous of Florida! What a great thing. We are located in Illinois sadly which has no such bureau. I did check after reading this.

I agree that this is definitely a pricey lesson. So sorry that you never got any compensation from him. I think sadly that is very common.

What is the building board? I have no idea about that but we do plan to file a complaint with the BBB. So sorry you lost so much money during a stressful time. It's horrible to hear how common this is!

Well DH and I are deciding what to do. I spoke with our village today and they encouraged me to go to small claims court. We will be sending him a certified letter 'warning' of what will happen if he does not return our money.

Where ever you got your permit from...

Here are some sites that may help:

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/homerepair_construction.html

http://www.ncphif.org/before-your-project/

IME suing somebody for something like that doesn't really take all that long, and in my state, at least, he would have to pay your court costs since you would win. If he doesn't have the money to pay it they will garnishee his wages until he pays it off.

I'll grant that this varies a bit state to state, but I can't say I've experienced an instance where wage garnishment happens as a de facto course of business. I don't mean to imply what is said here is inaccurate, however, the way it's written makes it sound much simpler than is likely to be the case.

I suspect the process in most locales is more like this:
- Go to small claims court, win, get an order for judgement in whatever amount.
- Defendant doesn't do anything about paying, or makes a half-hearted effort to pay something, but hardly the amount due.
- Go back to court to file an order for payments to be made.
- Defendant has to show up at this trial, or risks a bench warrant.
- Judge orders monthly payments of $X until the total is paid off.
- Defendant may or may not make good at this point, let's assume he doesn't.
- Go back to court, or at least file the necessary paperwork, to get an order for collection.
- This might involve a sheriff helping to take possession of property, for instance.
- Wage garnishment might be ordered at this point.

This is only an example, and won't be the same everywhere, but is a lot closer to the actual process involved.

Keep in mind as well, where this individual is a general contractor, basically self employed, he has not "paycheck" to speak of from which to actually garnish wages.

Also worth noting, I personally would tend to side a bit with OP's DH on this. The time and effort with going through small claims, relative to the amount of money I would be likely to see as a result might easily make the time and frustration not worth it, at least to me. Different people have different thresholds for various reasons, but I know for me, having to potentially take off a day (or eventually maybe even more than one) from work is already a somewhat pricey proposition.

I think "building board" is being used as a generic term for a building permit office. Different municipalities have different names. Around where I live, within city limits, permits are issued by a city office. In unincorporated areas it would be a county office. I've talked to contractors doing work, and many have said they prefer dealing with the county offices, since the city building permit people reject plans more often.

Small claims court. If he is licensed call the contractor licensing board, also get in contact with you city inspector/permits people, they can make it hard for this particular person to work in your area anymore.

The only other thing to add, is I have NEVER heard of contractors requiring a deposit on work not performed., I would run quick and fast from anyone who did. We run a concrete business, work with dozens of contractors, none of which would ever dream of asking for a deposit, even on large jobs. The way we do business is if it is a small job, payment at end of job, bigger jobs are a draw either at the end of each week or each month on work performed.

It is stealing, for sure... Just not legally I guess. When the same happened to us, the first thing we did was go to the police and were told it was a civil matter, there was nothing they could do. Went through the attorney general but he moved and we couldn't find him. And finding him was all on us.
That happened probably close to 10 yrs ago. I hope you have better luck getting your money back. Since then we've refused to put down a deposit on any work done. Most companies/contractors do request a deposit but we tell them what happened and why we won't do that. Just about everyone has worked with us. And the few that wouldn't, well, we just went with someone else. Hasn't been a problem.
Good luck to the OP. Once in a while I think about the guy who stole from us and can only hope bad karma has followed him throughout life...

How does he have an A rating OP with the BBB when he has no license ?

Definitely something I will mention when filing my issue on the BBB!

Where ever you got your permit from...

Thanks. Unfortunately I already went there the other day and they could not be of help. They did say I could file a claim and send a certified letter.

Here are some sites that may help:

.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/homerepair_construction.html[/url]

ncphif.org/before-your-project/[/url]

Thanks! Very helpful.

Also worth noting, I personally would tend to side a bit with OP's DH on this. The time and effort with going through small claims, relative to the amount of money I would be likely to see as a result might easily make the time and frustration not worth it, at least to me. Different people have different thresholds for various reasons, but I know for me, having to potentially take off a day (or eventually maybe even more than one) from work is already a somewhat pricey proposition.

Yes, I can see his point as well. I just don't want to not file because he 'scared' us. I did file another one years ago when someone uninsured hit my car and also never got a dime and did not feel like it was worth all the aggravation in the end.

It is stealing, for sure... Just not legally I guess. When the same happened to us, the first thing we did was go to the police and were told it was a civil matter, there was nothing they could do. Went through the attorney general but he moved and we couldn't find him. And finding him was all on us.
That happened probably close to 10 yrs ago. I hope you have better luck getting your money back. Since then we've refused to put down a deposit on any work done. Most companies/contractors do request a deposit but we tell them what happened and why we won't do that. Just about everyone has worked with us. And the few that wouldn't, well, we just went with someone else. Hasn't been a problem.
Good luck to the OP. Once in a while I think about the guy who stole from us and can only hope bad karma has followed him throughout life...

Thanks for sharing your story and for everyone else who shared a story. It is so frustrating how many people have a similar story to tell. This seems to happen more than many other jobs. We plan to do the same thing for contractors in the future.

In the end the job will get done. Someone else in DH's work who has remodeled his whole house and done work for the rest of the company heard our tale of woe and offered to help, even without pay, (but of course we will pay him!) and is coming this weekend to start on the project. He came over to check it out last weekend. So hopefully our basement will be usable one of these days. We will take pictures of the ridiculous contractor's work before it comes down though.

So we sent him a certified letter saying that we will proceed with legal action if he does not return our money in five days and he received that letter today.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to proceed.

He sent us a text that he got our letter and that we 'forfeited' the money by cancelling with him after he didn't show up more than five times.

He says that we have given him nothing but problems (!!) and that he never had so many complications before (I guess it's so unreal that no one ever wanted the work done to code before??? !!) etc, etc.... and that he will start on the project if we want (we definitely don't want!) but otherwise we 'forfeit' the money. The contract does not say anything about 'forfeiting' any deposit or fees, etc....

Any suggestions on how to respond to this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter