Contract Expiration

ABelle08

Earning My Ears
I am considering buying a DVC membership. I am confused about the length of the contract. What happens after the 50 years? Do I still own it or do I have nothing?? The guy I did the open house with kept talking about how he is building the legacy for his daughters and will Will it to them, so that makes me think it is yours forever. So what does the contract length mean? Please explain!!

When the contract ends, the points revert back to the developer. You would no longer be a DVC member unless you have another contract with a later expiration date.

And one other question...

How many years can you bank points for? For example, Can I bank 4 years worth of points? What about borrowing?

You can only bank points one year forward. Similarly, you can only borrow one year back. So at best you only can have 3 years worth of points to use at one point.

I am considering buying a DVC membership. I am confused about the length of the contract. What happens after the 50 years? Do I still own it or do I have nothing??
When the contract expires, you have nothing. Different resorts have different expiration dates. The longest contract you can purchase right now is at the Polynesian which has an expiration date of Jan 31, 2066 giving you a maximum of 49 and a half years of ownership.

And the sales talk about "a legacy!" is just that: Sales talk. Even 20 years down the line, you have no idea if your children will want a Disney timeshare, let alone to visit Disney every year or so. Purchase should be based on the immediate timeline of affordability and utility, not the unpredictable nature of 25 years later.

I would suggest checking out the DVC resource page -- it has a lot of this information (and much more) there.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resource-center.3516203/

Does that come up for you? It just says nothing is there for me.

EDIT: Holy cow - I was ignoring "The DVC Moderators"!! I can't imagine how that would have happened as I never even noticed there was an ignore feature. Maybe I sleep-ignored the DVC moderators?!? Anyway, thanks @mustinjourney for the link!

Does that come up for you? It just says nothing is there for me.

EDIT: Holy cow - I was ignoring "The DVC Moderators"!! I can't imagine how that would have happened as I never even noticed there was an ignore feature. Maybe I sleep-ignored the DVC moderators?!? Anyway, thanks @mustinjourney for the link!
Happened to me too. I think it involved something on mobile at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter